Squawk of the Day - March 5, 2012

"It was sure nice to hear all the good comments about Albany in Saturday’s paper. It seems that folks from out of our area see what a gem we have. Let’s try and polish our jewel, clean it up a little and make the next big event even better."

Comments

tocar 2 years, 1 month ago

Perhaps since they do not live here, they do not see the negatives. They have not toured sections of Albany that are dangerous or blighted. We need to clean up our neighborhoods so that we are more appealing. When you refer to cleaning up, there are many homeowners or tenants who do not think we are referring to them. They need to get up and go outside and look around their own front and back doors. They might see the overgrown yards and the condition of the exterior of their homes.

Jimboob 2 years, 1 month ago

As my daddy always said "Poor folks have poor ways".

PatrickY2K 2 years, 1 month ago

Of course, the first comment is negative.

Somebody 2 years, 1 month ago

But the first comment speaks the truth.

PatrickY2K 2 years, 1 month ago

The squawk focused on the positives. Is that not the truth, too? Why was it an invitation for more negative comments? Nobody beats down Albany, like the people who live here!

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

I've been living here for all my life and believe me compared to what this city used to be it looks like a 3rd world country. Albany has a few bright spots, but that is not saying much. The negatives far outweigh the positives. You may not like it, but that's just the way it is. Only somebody that has lived in a sewer could think Albany as a whole is a beautiful city.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 1 month ago

Hey VSU.....we have had our disagreements, but this time....you are dead on it my man!!! Albany has died.....the Good Life City absolutely sucks compared to the days of the 1980's....I remember when SLAPPEY DRIVE was the best street in Albany!!! It had everything. We had two skating rinks, and three movie theaters....(we only have one now) We had good jobs to choose from...i.e Miller, Proctor, Mars, Delco, Merck, Bob's Candy, etc.....now people are lucky to work at Burger King....the neighborhoods have gone to hell....the schools are suffering....the jobs are gone....downtown is embarrasing, and the civic center dont even have good concerts and shows anymore.......just awful.....awful..... awful....

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

You forgot Firestone. Remember how it left in the 80's. It was an ugly departure.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 1 month ago

Oh yeah.......thanks.....what else did we have back then that is gone now? Do you remember the Artic Bear??? or IHOP on slappey???? Pizza Hut on slappey was even nice......its a ghost town on slappey now!! UGLY!!

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

Yes I remember Artic Bear....the first time I ever came south we came on the train to Albany and my husband rented a car and took me to the Artic Bear....hahaha..he said it was a landmark I had to see. I remember how nice an avenue Slappey used to be too. Those days are long gone. I have not been to downtown Albany in over 25 years. I go to the Marine Base via the bypass and that is it...don't even go to the Mall.......Sam's and once in a while maybe Walmart but not much of a shopper.

PatrickY2K 2 years, 1 month ago

What's wrong with allowing someone to say something positive, and not arguing the point?

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

Nothing wrong with saying something positive, but you started arguing when you commented about someone saying something negative about the squawk. Tocar above and chinaberry25 below are right, things just are not like they used to be. Not everybody views Albany through rose colored glasses. Some see things as they really are.

tommybeall 2 years, 1 month ago

@Patrick.. It seems to be the method of operation for much of Albany's complacent citizens.. Complain about literally everything, Find no good in anything, and Do absolutely nothing about it... but complain.

dingleberry 2 years, 1 month ago

Another very successful event despite the weather. I am certain the locals they encountered did make a good impression, as they should have. If you are keeping count, one positive, one negative, Pat! :)

Supes0611 2 years, 1 month ago

As a runner in the half marathon, i am very thankful for such a great event to be held in my community. This event draws lot of people and revenue to our town and it should be strongly supported. Also, a big thank you to the many volunteers and cheerleaders who braved the horrible conditions. You were all amazing and much appreciated.

chinaberry25 2 years, 1 month ago

Patrick, nothing is wrong with saying it, it is when you believe it that I have problems. Albany use to be Paradise during the 1950 & 60's. Both blacks and whites got along and were never had crime much less killings. Drugs were unheard of. Jobs galore. If you think there is a comparison, How bout I sell you that swamp land that I have. Maybe you have always lived in this mess and do not know any better.

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

Ah, Gone are the days you could go shopping and leave your house unlocked. Nowadays you need the national guard to watch your house to keep someone from breaking in.

PatrickY2K 2 years, 1 month ago

The Squawk Box isn't bad, but some of the regular responders to the online Squawk of the Day don't miss an opportunity to say something negative. Does that make the feel smart? Important? What?

How about if someone says something positive, just let them!

coachjohnson42 2 years, 1 month ago

The herald cant sell papers with too much good news....bad news sells!!

romainer 2 years, 1 month ago

To Jimboob

As my daddy always said "Poor folks > have poor ways".<

You and your father are wrong, some poor people have very little, but you can't tell it by looking at the outside of their homes because their yards are neat and clean and they have flowers growing, don't make generalizations.