Squawk of the Day - March 6, 2012

"Many thanks to all the volunteers and police officers who, despite the horrible conditions, smiled, encouraged and even sang to my teammates as we completed our first marathon. Oh, wait, all except the guy stationed at the limesink who asked us what took us so long and stated he was tired of standing in the rain. You, sir, are a jerk."

Comments

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 5 months ago

A BIG Thank You to the workers and support staff who braved this weather your good spirits helped make running in the rain not quite so bad. IT was A Great day in Albany even with the bad weather. And sorry to say Albany does have a few jerks and unfortunately you meet one on the route and he opened his mouth for no good reason but they do like to do that, Right Coach……..

coachjohnson42 2 years, 5 months ago

You took the words right out of my mouth jerk.....Every time you open your mouth, your ignorant breath kills the flowers. Now, back to the squawk.....With the crime rate here in Albany, it did not take half the police force to watch a bunch of joggers run around the city.The police need to stay focused on protecting the citizens of the entire city.....not just a bunch of joggers.....This is not paradise city, this is a crime nest-egg....Albany needs its police in strategic locations to fight crime.....even on marathon day!!

Shinedownfan 2 years, 5 months ago

there you go slinging insults again... sheesh...

VSU 2 years, 5 months ago

They needed the police to protect them against any possible crime, plus to direct traffic, use your head coach.

bubbavet 2 years, 5 months ago

You have to understand da corch. He is a fourth generation of Albany's problem

coachjohnson42 2 years, 5 months ago

Bubba......get back in that trailer!

guardian 2 years, 5 months ago

Those officers were off duty so there was no reduction in the scheduled work force for the patrol division.

tocar 2 years, 5 months ago

Has it occured to anyone that this police officer was not a jerk? He was probably kidding around and in a way he was encouraging them on for running in the rain. Albany makes light of anything that is said unless it is what the complaining individual wants said and done. We are a very sick community here and always complaining about not enough of something. We are a city of crime, racists and street walkers. I can understand why we have run all of the industries out of this lazy town.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 5 months ago

It could have been a volunteer or police officer... but to me it didnt sound like he was kidding...

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 5 months ago

The most hateful, hurtful things ever said to me was by someone who said "I was just kidding." If he did not want to stand in the rain, he had plenty of time to request other duty since we all knew on WEDNESDAY that rain was coming. Congratulations to all the folks who braved this weekend's weather. That's deidcation

USMC_Retired 2 years, 5 months ago

I must of missed where the squawker said this was a Police Officer. Regardless of if it was or not, I could easily see this being a case of misread sarcasm.

Coach, Police involvement is required for these types of events to redirect traffic for the safety of the participants. Imagine the uproar (and lawsuits against the city) if the police were not there and someone made a wrong turn and struck a runner.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 5 months ago

That sounds really cute until your house is the one that gets robbed due to a lack of police presence. Then what?

Jacob 2 years, 5 months ago

Hey Corch. The entire city is pretty much a high crime zone, so anywhere you want to place one of Albany's "finest" would seem to be as good as the next place. At least on marathon day, they were actually standing up instead of parking and talking on their cell phones or hanging out in whatever restaurants give them half price meals.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 5 months ago

true......I give you that Jacob.....but the ones I saw were blocking traffic, and harassing the drivers trying to get by. See, working that parade of runners was easy....but fighting crime is hard.....Think about it, would you rather direct traffic all day and inconvience drivers, or ride up and down the streets looking for bad guys,drug dealers, missing people, or crooks? Dont take too long to answer........lol

guardian 2 years, 5 months ago

Coah, You have obviously never worked crowd control or you would have never made such a statement.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 5 months ago

You obviously never fought "REAL CRIME" or you would never made such a statement.

VSU 2 years, 5 months ago

If that guy was a volunteer and had that kind of attitude, he should not have volunteered in the first place.

PatrickY2K 2 years, 5 months ago

Regardless of the Squawk, complaining is sure to follow, restating the same problems each day, never offering a solution. The "regulars" don't even need something insightful to add - they just need to share their opinions with a captive audience (real people haven't listened in years).

Example: Squawk - "I like puppies." Comment - "Obama is satan."

tywebb 2 years, 5 months ago

your comment is spot on.......the obama one, that is!

PatrickY2K 2 years, 5 months ago

Again, nothing insightful to add.

tywebb 2 years, 5 months ago

and you complaining about people complaining is helping

chinaberry25 2 years, 5 months ago

At least something good comes out of Mardi Gras. It is a time that all folks can have a good time. Money is spent and put back into the community. Vendors should be selected as to where they live though. Not all shows do. For instance, Calico, 90% of their vendors are from Florida mainly Tallahassee, Georgia folks cannot get into Calico. Money should be kept close to Albany. This may not be a problem yet, but should be considered in the future.

justme 2 years, 5 months ago

MAKES NO DIFFERENCE AS TO WHAT THE SQUAWK IS ABOUT, YOU FOLKS WHO POST HERE ON A REGULAR BASIS ARE ALL A BUNCH OF FRUSTRATED PERSONS. ALL OF YOUR POST COMBINED ARE BETTER THAN THE SUNDAY FUNNIES, AS I'M SURE YOU ALL ARE A BUNCH OF REAL PATHETIC CHARACTERS.

LuLu 2 years, 5 months ago

Not me. I'm pretty durn cool!

Shinedownfan 2 years, 5 months ago

Me too, LuLu! I love all the commentors... I suggest a "meet-and-greet" LOL!

VSU 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm not frustrated, just like to voice my views.

agirl_25 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't think of myself as pathetic...or frustrated. I think I am an interesting person, very well traveled, and have opinions about many things. I don't think I am pushy or obnoxious in my opinions either. I wish there was an IGNORE function with this program tho, so you could have the luxury of knowing beforehand there was one of my posts coming up and you didn't have to see it. There is a program like that..I know a programmer in Calgary, Canada who wrote one and it is marvelous. But till then I guess when you see my name you will just have to say, "Ugh, her again", and pass by.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 5 months ago

It takes one to know one is what my Mamma always told me.

agirl_25 2 years, 5 months ago

But.....I am wondering......if justme thinks we are a bunch of pathetic losers.....would he not miss us if we stopped posting? I bet deep down inside he and the others who make the snarly comments enjoy reading the posts. I know I may not agree with what is being said most of the time, but I do enjoy reading every one of them. I find this one of the highlights of my morning..it has become a ritual actually, a cup of coffee and the reading of the squawks. I guess all I have to do now is pick which Sunday funnies character I want to be.

Yowsa51 2 years, 5 months ago

Chinaberry: The problem you mentioned already exists, especially amongst the food vendors. On Saturday, you will witness vendors from NC, SC, AL, and FL in the food area. Locals with local ties are routinely shut out or marginalized at these events.

43cop 2 years, 5 months ago

Chinaberry, and what turnip truck did you fall off of ? Anything that the downtown development has a hand in will simply be for the 85%, not the 15% taxpayers.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 5 months ago

Ok back to the Squawk. As you can see just a couple of innocent words (“Right Coach”) said in the wrong context can cause some people to over react and become very negative and make those around them also loose site of the good things around them.

While most likely this worker in question was only trying to make light of the fact he had been standing in the rain for over half a day and was just trying to make a joke of his sad situation. We should Remember He had volunteered to be a worker expecting to have a fun day in the sun cheering runners on as they pasted his station. No one volunteers to stand in the cold rain for up to 7 hours. Whether he was making a joke or tired and cold and in a week moment lashed out at a slower group you must give him credit for one thing. He Volunteered to do a job expecting to have fun instead he got stuck in the rain, cold and miserable he did NOT Quit. You must give him credit for standing his post. NO matter his intent with his remark the Positive is he did Not Quit. Another Positive is Albany has become an Internationally recognized city that is a Qualifier for the Boston Marathon. Runners from around The World (that’s right the world) came to Albany and were impressed with the course and the dedication of the citizens (braving the weather) and will be returning next year. With the positive word being spread about the Albany Event by this year’s athletes more athletes will be visiting Albany next year. Which means more outside dollars coming in plus the worldwide POSITIVE exposure could just be the stepping stone to the next Big Company deciding to give Albany a look? So again I must say Thank you to All who helped make this a Good Day for Albany.