Election draws 14 percent for primary

Republican presidential candidate, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich speaks at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center, Tuesday, March 6, 2012, in Huntsville, Ala. Gingrich has won the Georgia Republican primary. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

— ALBANY — More than 7,500 people cast ballots in heavily Democratic Dougherty County in Tuesday’s presidential preference primary, elections officials say, the majority of whom gave a nod to native son Newt Gingrich, who pulled in 44 percent of the county’s vote.

The numbers, which were delayed in being released for several hours because of a glitch with both a voting machine and the modem used to transmit voting information to Atlanta, were sent to the Georgia Secretary of State’s office early Wednesday morning by Dougherty Elections officials.

According to the unofficial numbers, Gingrich received 2,377, or 44.73 percent, of the total votes cast in Dougherty County Tuesday. That figure was well above front-runner Mitt Romney, who picked up 1,537 votes, or 28.9 percent.

Former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum ended the night third in Dougherty County with 1,077 votes, or 20.27 percent, and Texas Congressman Ron Paul rounded out the list of viable GOP candidates with 292 votes, or 5.49 percent, of the total.

Statewide, Gingrich easily topped the GOP heap Tuesday, outpacing his counterparts by double-digit figures. Nationally, however, Georgia would prove to be Gingrich’s only major haul as Romney struck gold in six states and Santorum in three. Paul failed to win any state, but came in second in Virginia in a two-person race.

Back in Dougherty County, elections officials say that 14.6 percent of registered voters cast ballots Tuesday.

The total, 7,513, also reflects 2,137 votes that were cast for President Obama — the lone Democratic candidate.

Comments

Shinedownfan 2 years, 1 month ago

Hey, "Staff" ... how 'bout Lee Co. I want to see that... please. It's usually on walb, but it's not.

LuLu 2 years, 1 month ago

Here ya go -- you can see results by county and by congressional district.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

Final Summation of Super Tuesday in Georgia:

Adulterers: 45% for Gingrich (too easily baffled by BS, ignoring the baggage),

Realists: 29% for Romney (who recognize the only candidate with a real chance of beating Obama),

Fundamentalists: 20% for Santorum (too theologically pure to vote for a Mormon, praise God),

Isolationists: 5% for Paul like just because ya know. Yaay Ron Paul!! When does the bus leave for the next state?

Dazed and Confused: 1% (everybody else) who don't know if they're walking or riding and don't really care either way.

dingleberry 2 years, 1 month ago

Uninspired by the choice of candidates, 85.4 percent who decided to sit this one out until we quit eating our own and the backroom guys slam a candidate we don't want onto the ballot anyway.

waltspecht 2 years, 1 month ago

Lord, I hope there is a much better turn out come November. Or else we are going to see four worse years for the Middle Class. Come on folks. Get that absentee ballot, vote early, vote at the poles, but please get out there and vote.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 1 month ago

I think the voter turn-out was great!!! lol......

Somebody 2 years, 1 month ago

You're an idiot coach, you still haven't named one thing as to why you think Obama is so great....wait a minute, I know, it's because he is black.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 1 month ago

Yes, I did...where have you been??? I posted about 25 reasons/accomplishments by OBAMA.....How many times do I need to explain it your mis-guided and lost soul?

chinaberry25 2 years, 1 month ago

You explained nothing. It was someone else's words not yours. Yet, I think I could do a lot with $13 trillion of someone else's money. It is exactly what we were told he would be, an inexperienced flunky that has never had a real job. No money either of his own. Always someone elses.Hilary would have been a much better president, but hindsight is better than foresight.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

Just wait until November when "ya boi" will get trounced like a road grader ran over his mulatto ass. I'll buy you a beer or a cup of coffee or a three foot reefer, whatever it takes to help you make it through the night.

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

Some people are probably going with the attitude of Anybody but Obama and may not like either candidate or don't care one way or the other, so they will wait and go vote in November. I think Ronald McDonald would make a better president than the clown we have in there now..

coachjohnson42 2 years, 1 month ago

Obama is going bust Mitt Romney's butt in the general election. I cant wait to watch FOX-NEWS on election night....I'm sure it will be real QUIET....(cricket, cricket) when he kicks their butts again!! I watched FOX NEWS when Obama won in 2008 and it was soo funny...they were about to cry.....boo hoo......So, get ready.....OBAMA IS GOING TO "BA-ROCK" THE VOTE again!!!

chinaberry25 2 years, 1 month ago

Oh!!! yes he did, He copied and pasted a whole page of what O has done for us. Unfortunately if was most of the cost of the $13 trillion he has spent in 3.5 years. Most of it was burning up fuel to Hawaii or Europe. Sure Bush took vacations, but most were to Camp David and O has not darkened those doors yet. Gotta fly 5000 miles on that new jet because his days are numbered using it.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 1 month ago

I wasn't finished either...I had about 3 more pages worth of accomplishments left to post!!! .....just waiting on the REPUBS to piss me off again......lol

LuLu 2 years, 1 month ago

Coach, anyone can go over to sodahead and cut and paste someone else's words. I bet you don't know what half of that means, because I didn't! We want to hear in YOUR own words why you want Obama to win again. How do his actions positively affect YOUR day-to-day life? Is it the exploding unemployment? Is it the exploding debt? Is it the exploding gas prices? Or the incessant lies and deceit and corruption? Intimidation? Bribery? Is it his stacking of the Justice Department and Supreme Court with communists? The money laundering? His documented alleigance to radicals and his intent to destroy our country and our freedoms? Which of these things or of the many other innumerable attrocities would make you want to hire this communist? You must really hate your own children and grandchildren because if this man gets another four years I would HATE to see what this country looks like in 10 or 20 years. I truly FEAR for my grandchildren. My daughter wants to have another baby, but she and her husband have actually thought about NOT having one because they are THAT scared of this man and his people.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 1 month ago

I understood all of it....that why I posted it......Even though I almost have my PHD, I didn't need a college degree to understand it either. So, I tell you what, read below and I will post more accomplishments by our great president and then I will translate it for you so you can understand it....ok???

coachjohnson42 2 years, 1 month ago

Lulu, its that type of FOXNEWS generated thinking is what is killing this country...NOT OBAMA....I remember the first form of ignorant criticism thrown at Obama for trying to reform Health Care. I thought this was soo stupid on the side of Republicans. Here is a President who finally is trying to do something to reform a crooked, money hungry health care system that has been robbing insurance companies and citizens for years and Tea Party fools had a problem with it. Its almost like they wanted a poor health care system just to oppose Obama. How stupid? Thats when I stopped listening to the tea party whining about nothing.....A reformed health care system benefits everybody...not just Democrats or Republicans.....EVERYBODY!! But most shallow close-minded folks tried to find a problem with it. They sounded so stupid. They said, "he is going to force us to get Obama-Care" . He clearly said it was an option and you could keep your coverage, but noooo, Tea Party fools insisted that it was so bad. Remember, if the Republicans were so great, why did they lose in 2008???........think about it.......

coachjohnson42 2 years, 1 month ago

One reason I (the great coach) am voting for Obama is because he is directly responsible for bringing the war in Iraq to an end: Obama has reduced troops from a peak of 170,000 down to 50,000, with the remaining troops focused on training and recruiting Iraqi forces, rather than participating in combat. He then brought all our troops home over there for the holidays.... (translation for LuLu), Obama delivered on a campaign promise he made while bringing to an end a misguided, expensive, and costly war which served no clear purpose. Bush was crazy and we had no business even over there. Our super President also ensured that, in the process of wrapping up efforts in the region, he did so responsibly. Iraq is not in utter chaos as it once was at the peak of the insurgency and it stands a chance of having a reasonable future and being a reasonably stable Democratic state in the Middle East. So, CUDOS to the BIG CHIEF!!! and another SLAM DUNK by THE COACH!!!

coachjohnson42 2 years, 1 month ago

Another reason I am voting for the Best President for College Students in our recent history is because with the average in-state tuition at a four-year public college now exceeding $17,000 a year, students are worried about how they’ll pay for the increasing cost of college. President Obama has “made it a priority to make college more affordable.” To do so, he has doubled the funding for Pell Grants and created the American Opportunity Tax Credit worth up to $10,000 for a four-year college. Mitt Romney, however, supports the GOP plan that cuts Pell Grants and wants to let the AOTC expire. His “best advice” for students is to “shop around.” That really sucks when you live in South Georgia and your family is not the wealthiest in the world to send you to any school you want. (translation for LULU)......If you have a child that wants to go to college and cant afford it, Barack Obama is your choice for President!!! Why choose someone who wants to cut Pell Grants?? (LULU-thats funding for college students)......How can you be against that??? Dont oppose the President just because of the obvious reason that most people down south oppose him.........(let it go Lulu, and think......)

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 1 month ago

Sadly the scary part of all this is there is a whole class of people who have enslaved themselves and their vote to this President for a monthly check and they all believe just as strongly as Coach. Coach I do not argue with you expressing your opinion, just the wisdom of your opinion.

An opinion is a subjective belief, and is the result of emotion or interpretation of facts. An opinion may be supported by an argument, although people may draw opposing opinions from the same set of facts.

LuLu 2 years, 1 month ago

How sad... I feel sorry for you, coach.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 1 month ago

Sorry Lulu, looks like we have an intruder interrupting an adult conversation. Abytaxpayer follows me around like a lost puppy here on this website and I apologize for his behavior.He is still trying to rebuild his right-winged opinion of the Presidency and he is down by 10 points with 30 seconds left in the fourth quarter. He just chases, and chases and can never catch up to me. So he resorts to insults when he is behind to try and catch up. But I welcome his company as I enjoy what I do. Yes, I respond back and crush him back when he starts with me, but my points are valid and he hates it. For example, When President Obama took office, the U.S. was engaged in two wars and faced terrorist threats at home and abroad. Our President eliminated the worlds most wanted terrorist and many many of his followers and ended the war in Iraq. (too many to list) Secondly, President Obama fulfilled his promise to responsibly and safely bring our troops home from Iraq, and is making sure returning servicemembers have the support they need.That's huge!!! What did Bush do? Bush screwed this country up so bad until you think war is normal. WAR IS NOT NORMAL!!! But if you have a FOXNEWS education, you probably wouldn't know that. Our President has made this country much much safer....Bush made this country one of the most hated countries in the world. Were you proud of that?

CJ_Fan 2 years, 1 month ago

Some people talk till they are Blue in the Face and they still cannot make sense. But got to hand it to you the yellow shoes look good with that gray hair.

None

by CJ_Fan

coachjohnson42 2 years, 1 month ago

and yo moma thinks I look great too!!

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 1 month ago

Coach I do not argue with you expressing your OPINION, just the WISDOM of your opinion.

Your Opinion of Facts is just that, YOUR OPINION!

coachjohnson42 2 years, 1 month ago

Your opinion is just that...YOUR OPINION!!! and based on how you came up with that crap is beyond me....STOP LISTENING TO RUSH, NEWT, O'Reilly, and FOXNEWS......open up your brain, and stop being so closed minded. They are making your "OPINIONS" sound weak......so, you then have to resort to insults to help your "SHORT-COMINGS".....its like the guys who have to use "EXTENZE" to please their mate.....I'm sure you know all about that...

Sound familiar ABYTAXPAYER???? hahahahaha

CJ_Fan 2 years, 1 month ago

Coach….Aby did not insult you, he paid you a commitment. He said you believe STRONGLY in your opinion just as some others do. He did point out “An opinion is a SUBJECTIVE belief” and also an opinion is an INTERPRETATION OF FACTS and people may draw opposing opinions from the same set of facts. I guess it was just your Great wisdom that makes you think Aby insulted you. Guess you don't need a sign for that.

Wait maybe you do....so..."Heres Your Sign"

AlbPieMaster 2 years, 1 month ago

@Fan____ the above clowns Blue face may not be from all his talking, it just might be a side effect from that little Blue pill he is so fond of. This could explain a lot about his logic, all that blood rushing out of his head could starve the brain of oxygen and make a person hallucinate.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 1 month ago

Sorry Coach I was not familiar with your “product” but for once it does sound like you are speaking with the authority of firsthand Knowledge and not repeating what you heard a talking head say…. I did “Google” it and I am so happy for you that you found something to make you feel like a Man. Especially in light of your childish rants and name calling you so love.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 1 month ago

We can tell you are a strong customer of EXTENZE based on your weak comments.......you need it little man!!!

AlbPieMaster 2 years, 1 month ago

Coach some Ladies prefer to drive a Ferrari rather than a big old 18 wheeler. Ferrari maybe small but it is quick and nimble and a blast to drive while an 18 wheeler is slow to move, Lumbers around and hard to maneuver. Ask any Lady you know does she want fun and excitement or a big old smelly thing.

ZOOM ZOOM

coachjohnson42 2 years, 1 month ago

awww abycrybaby....dont cry, it will be alright.......

bubbasmithredneck 2 years, 1 month ago

Coachjohnson42 just rips you guys a new butt hole everytime you mess with him and all you can come back with is silly pictures and goofy nerdy remarks. He is the man on here. I hate to say it...but CJ, Aby-tax-payer, and LuLu....the coach rocks!!! I love it!!!

CJ_Fan 2 years, 1 month ago

Well darn I thought I was Coach's fan. But I see there is someone willing to kiss his A.. So onward I say you birds of a feather flock together. Here is you a silly picture so you won't feel let out.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

I sense a new tactic on this Herald Forum which I witness each and every day on the TV which is that the Obama Democrat representative will attemp to TALK OVER (aka Shout Down) anybody on the other side who try to present a reasonable, sane counterpoint so that said reasonable, sane counterpoint cannot be heard by an open minded public. Such tactic seems to also be at work on this Herald Forum. It's too bad. But I continue to have Faith in the American public to see through the deceptive and heavy handed tactics of these Nazi Thugs. Citizens!!........Use The Brains God Gave You!!!! You know shite when you step in it! Right? So wipe it off with a stick or a water hose and let's Press On for the People!!

bubbasmithredneck 2 years, 1 month ago

Not kissing A.....just making the obvious known. People who read this stuff knows you guys cant handle "The Coach." (He is not paying me a dime either). The coach is right. You guys just keep "trying" him and he smashes you like a bug every time. Especially that abytaxpayer, lol. He needs a medic.... and "Ruby Tuesday" give it up.....and CJ, you are just bandwagoner trying to copy off the taxpayer.....a phony....But I must say, It makes for good entertainment. I hope he comes back and smashes you again. He is too funny. He needs to be a comic.So, go ahead say something dumb again and "The Coach" shall return with his BIG BOOTS and STOMP you in the ground soon.....

bubbasmithredneck 2 years, 1 month ago

Yeah it is.....now, where is my man Coach??? He must be on vacation....lol