Squawk of the day - March 8, 2012

"I see that code enforcement is now hiring illegal aliens as officers. Who else would think that the American flag is a sign? It is a symbol of our great country. Perhaps the code inspector should serve a tour of duty and gain a real perspective for the flag of my country."

Comments

Clif 2 years, 1 month ago

Typical Albany....Every business and home should be encouraged to fly the American flag, not discourage it. Teaching about our founding documents should be re-introduced into the school curriculum. Hardly any of todays students even know we have a Constitution or Bill of Rights.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 1 month ago

Regardless of how POOR a representative for Albany’s Government this Code ENFORCER was, She was following orders from KADB…...sorry I meant the City Commissioners. The City Commissioners alone (ok KADB told them what to think) wrote and past the City Sign (Anti-Advertising) Ordinance that outlaws Flags that do not meet KADB standards ….sorry again meant to say the City Commissioners standards. The Albany Sign Ordinance is so anti-advertising just makes you wonder how KADB had the nerve to build the HUGH Welcome to Albany signs. More elitist do as I SAY and Not as I do. Most Working people see the Flag as symbol of their Freedom while some who do NOT work for a living can see the Flag as some kind of sneaky way those working peons are advertising to other working peons.

chinaberry25 2 years, 1 month ago

This is no different that a welfare baby or receiver that refuses to stand for the pledge to the flag or the pledge being said in Spanish at one of the high school here.

LuLu 2 years, 1 month ago

Maybe we should innundate their precious "311" with calls about this. And I still want to know what the "small sign" that the original complaint was about was! I'm real curious about why someone would stoop to calling "the authorities" over a "small sign" that didn't even belong to the Gieryic's. What nerve!

waltspecht 2 years, 1 month ago

Look, I love that flag as much as anyone. I actually spend part of Memorial day making sure a couple of flags are properly lowered, and then raised at, or around, noon. However, even tho the Officer wasn't the most friendly person, she was doing what she was told to do. Enforce the code. So the problem is with the code as written, and those that approved it. I just hope the Code enforcement isn't targeting those individuals considered capable of paying fines, while avoiding the problems where no fines could be collected. When I drive around the City, I see many violations that aren't addressed. They just mostly seem to be in the poorer neighborhoods. I wouldn't say some of these codes and laws are written and enforced to produce revenue, but you might want to check how much money ASU, Darton and Albany Technical College have produced since the introduction of the parking fines.

tocar 2 years, 1 month ago

Some departments including Code act on behalf of issues when we have so many major items that need to be addressed in the City. I congratulate any business or individual who proudly displays the American flag. Our country is a great country of freedom and we seem to forget the principals on which this great nation was founded. Wake up America and consider how lucky and blessed we are to be raised on American soil. Our founding fathers gave so much and we seem to give so little. We take everything for granted and forget that we need to be faithful, law-abiding citizens who work for our families and country.

VietVet1 2 years, 1 month ago

It took Code enforcement over FIVE months of constant calling about a house on Johnson road having a car shop in the front yard. I'm sure they had a business license and paying their fare share of tax. When someone FINALLY got around to bringing it to a halt the house still sits vacant. Also wondered how multi hispanic can live in a single family house? Also made several calls about the convience store on Johnson Road outside the back gate. From individuals cooking and selling meals outside to action inside the store. But the owner didn't know what was going on. Like John Wayne said, "You just can't fix stupid"

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 1 month ago

VietVet1--yep--you cant fix stupid and in the case of the of the Albany City Commission and Code Enforcement, it is so totally useless to try--these two groups were born with an I AM STUPID gene--and we wounder with business growth in Albany is static...Time to "rally round the flag, boys!"

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

Hijack: Those of us with still-functioning brain cells MUST use this "Squawk of the Day" forum to correct other squawks in today's paper. To the ill-informed squawker referencing Rush Limbaugh and Fox News. Fact: Rush Limbaugh has NOTHING to do with Fox News. I'm not sure who told you that he did, whether it was your pastor or Al Shaprton (who does appear on MSNBC) or you made it up or it was a drug-induced hallucination. But here's the fact: he is not related to Fox News in any way, nor does he even appear on Fox News, not even for commentary. Meanshile, please don't let facts get in the way of our liberal fantasy.

justme 2 years, 1 month ago

Not surprised at all that you would defend Fox News or that fat pig Bush Bimbaugh. Here the boy is speaking of women in nasty and vile terms and you "DRAG" others into the mix. Oh well, with the photo you have posted it is obivious who the mixed up one really is.

ObjectiveEyes 2 years, 1 month ago

I guess you are referring to Sandra Fluke? Rush (and, I'm not a big fan of his...never listen to him) apologized for what he said. You do realize that her sole purpose in enrolling in Georgetown University is to make issue with contraception and abortion coverage along with, get this, "gender reassignment" surgery (i.e., sex change operation). She is nothing more than a feminist agitator.

But, in typical liberal-speak, you accuse others of being "vile" while calling names ("Bush Bimbaugh"). And, who's the hypocrit? That's what I thought.

bubbavet 2 years, 1 month ago

Your kind will never have enough intelligence to understand anything past welfare .

Shinedownfan 2 years, 1 month ago

I listen to Rush every week day. If you REALLY listened to a whole show, you would see how much sense he makes, how brilliant he is, and you would not be ignorant to what the liberal media doesnt want you to know. Rush, Glenn and Sean keep me well informed! AND... Don't bash Sister Ruby! She is pretty brilliant too.

LuLu 2 years, 1 month ago

Amen, Shinedownfan! Rush is KING as far as I'm concerned. I used to love Glenn's TV show, but can't abide him on the radio. I like Hannity's TV show, too, but he seriously gets on my nerves on the radio because he wants to make everything about himself and won't stop interrupting his guests! But I absolutely adore Rush. You just have to know how to take him, is all. Brilliance, common sense and the TRUTH.

GMoney38 2 years, 1 month ago

Tom keep flying Old Glory with pride. These colors don't run from foreign enemies and we aren't going to run from a bunch city employees that don't know their jobs. I would love to see every business and homeowner fly Old Glory.

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

Sometimes I wonder if one day we will be arrested for working for a living.

waltspecht 2 years, 1 month ago

Heck no. If they did, who would pay the bills? Or are you speaking of prison labor. Mainly us working for free, and the government keeping all the profits and distributing them as they see fit.

VietVet1 2 years, 1 month ago

@VSU - only if you don't earn enough to pay the welfare their "fair Share"

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

Good points Walt & VietVet1. I guess I am safe.

PatrickY2K 2 years, 1 month ago

Back to the Squawk: How is the person "seeing" that illegal immigrants are being hired? Is the squawker looking at paperwork, or just assuming?

waltspecht 2 years, 1 month ago

I believe they are being facetious (boy does this thing need a spell check or what) Implying that any American should be able to tell the differance between an American Flag and a sign.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 1 month ago

Hey Walt, I got an iPad and it auto corrects almost everything. It's amazing and so easy to surf the web with! (I know, it doesn't correct grammar cause I ended the sentence with a preposition.)

TheBoss 2 years, 1 month ago

Shinedownfan what is a preposition?