Sweat, Manhattans to headline Soulfest

Gilbert Udoto

Gilbert Udoto

ALBANY -- Mardi Gras revelers who like to mix a little sweet soul music with their party are invited to do so at the Albany Civic Center Saturday night as Odyssey Records and Bud Light Platinum present R&B Soulfest 2012, featuring Keith Sweat and the Manhattans.

Also featured on the bill are T.K. Soul and Wilson Meadows.

"There's a lot of excitement from all over the region for this show," Odyssey Records owner and promoter Gilbert Udoto said Monday. "People are buying up seven, eight, 10 tickets at a time and planning reunions at the show. We've sold more than 3,000 tickets already and are looking for a big crowd.

"The timing was just right for this show. I've been working on it since last year, and I called the agency and told them just what I was looking for. I think we've put together a great show for people who like all kinds of R&B, soul and blues music."

Topping the bill is sweet soul man Sweat, whose familiar hits include "I Want Her," "Keep It Comin'," "Twisted" and "Nobody." Sweat is also the "concierge" at the "Sweat Hotel," a syndicated love song/advice radio program heard in urban and adult markets throughout the country.

"Keith will have his black sofa; he'll bring the Sweat Hotel to Albany," Udoto joked.

The Manhattans, whose sweet soul/dance performances feature Gerald Alston and Blue Lovett, are known worldwide for their hits "Shining Star," "We Were Made as One" and the monster hit "Kiss and Say Goodbye."

"We had the Manhatans here at the State Theatre before, and there was not enough room to hold all the fans," Udoto said. "It was like bringing Bon Jovi to the Hasan Temple. There are people from all over the region -- from Jacksonville to Atlanta -- who are coming in for the show."

Udoto noted that "the young girls are the ones who want the tickets" for bluesman Soul, while Meadows "comes here every two years, so this is like a homecoming for him."

Sweat performed in Albany twice during the '90s -- with Melissa Morgan and Salt N Pepa -- and is generating excitement with his return.

"This is a good marriage, a little something for everyone," Udoto said. "It's a perfect tie-in with the Mardi Gras festival. Fans can enjoy all the activities downtown and then come on over to the Civic Center for the show."

All tickets are VIP or reserved seating and are available at Odyssey Records, Big Daddy's Lounge, the Sandtrap Lounge, the Civic Center box office and at all Ticketmaster locations. Showtime is 7 p.m.

"There are plenty of tickets available, but I'd advise anyone who wants to secure the best seats to get their tickets early," Udoto said. "But we're going to have plenty of seats for everyone; the Civic Center is a big place. I've already started planning the next Soulfest for next year; we want to make this an annual event."

Comments

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

Rapp some Crapp to me Holmes and see if it works.. Prolly won't.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 1 month ago

Hey RUBY......Why dont you show up, get the mic, and tell everybody how you feel about their concert while wearing your " KLAN" clothes?????....I DARE YOU!!!

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

How 'bout if I just tell 'em what I think about your mamma?

MRKIA 2 years, 1 month ago

IT SEEMS THAT SISTER RUBY HAS A PROBLEM WITH THIS CONCERT ONLY BECAUSE THE ENTERTAINERS ARE BLACK AND CALLING PEOPLE OUT MAKING REFERENCES TO THEIR MOTHER. WHY DON'T YOU TAKE COACH UP ON HIS DARE? YOU CAN MAKE MEDICAL HISTORY BY BEING THE FIRST HUMAN (OR HUMAN-LIKE) TO HAVE THEIR RECTUM REINSTALLED AFTER HAVING IT VIOLENTLY TORN FROM IT'S FRAME. SALTY OLD HEIFER!!!

AlbanyDad 2 years, 1 month ago

Albany Herald...while I know you allow comments to bring the readers point of view to each story, you are allowing racist comments by blacks and whites to be posted. This is sad and should be corrected. No one should be allowed to stir up hatred on your website ...I am ashamed for you to let this go on and on!!!

coachjohnson42 2 years, 1 month ago

AMEN MRKIA!!!!!

Where have you been????????

TELL HER UGLY BEHIND ONE MORE TIME!!!!

GO MRKIA!!!!!!

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

I would like to apologize to all readers of my comments above and to the musicians referenced in the article. Contrary to the comments of others, my reaction was due the the fact that I thought it was a rap show. Not a soul music show. I love soul music, soul food, and people with soul.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 1 month ago

Rap show, soul show.....it doesn't matter, your hatred is obvious.......you cant clean it up now. You sound like a female Rush Limbaugh.....we should call you "Sister Rushia".....I still think you need to come to that concert with your "KLAN CLOTHES" and start running your mouth........I dare you!!!

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

The first sentence of the article has the word "soul" music in it. Later the writer mentioned R&B, soul and blues music. I don't particularly care for either type of music but I do read Carlton's pieces and I always enjoy reading all the posts. I was kind of surprised to see the first 2 posts be vile ones...and later have the poster admit she thought the show was a rap show. How sad to jump to conclusions and to assume. The 3 posters who argued back and forth (and you know who you are) acted childish and foolish but at least one of you was adult enough to apologize. Come on fellas....are you going to own up too?

MRKIA 2 years, 1 month ago

OWN UP TO WHAT? MUSIC OF ANY DESCRIPTION HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH HER POST, THIS WAS RACISM VEILED, BUT ABOUT AS MUCH AS A DIRTY WINDOW.

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

Well I guess I got my answer huh.........sigh

coachjohnson42 2 years, 1 month ago

@agirl_25; Sorry, she gets no love for that type of evil and nastiness. You cant even clean up what she said.....FORGET ABOUT IT!!!