Squawk of the Day - March 9, 2012

"Ruth Lewis sounds like nothing more than someone who loves having power in her hands. She needs to have her little ticket book removed and all power to write citations taken from her."

Comments

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 8 months ago

Where was Ruth Lewis today? Anybody catch the Opening of John House Campaign Headquarters on Slappey? He and lined the two streets next to his headquarters with as many signs (approximately 30 plus) as he could place in the City “Right of Way”. So Albany Does Not allow the American Flag but they look the other way so Politicians can clutter the streets with their signs...................... In case you missed it walb caught it on video; http://www.walb.com/Category/195954/video-landing-page?clipId=6824725&autostart=true

Looks like Albany’s Anti-Business Sign Ordinance only apply to Local Businesses!

dingleberry 2 years, 8 months ago

I think House's signs were out from 3:30 to 6:30 and all then taken up. Really, is this a big problem to complain about? I certainly don't support the city on the flag issue but isn't this post a rather poor example of the city being permissive? Now if the signs had remained, you would have a point--but not in this case.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 8 months ago

You are right they were removed and not replaced Friday. I suspect I was not the only 5 o'clock call to 311 and he was advised to remove them without a ticket. My point was the signs I saw were in the right of way and NO One at the City has the authority (or so they told Gieryic) to allow even temporarily the placing of signs in the right of way. Guess political favors are stronger than respect for a Flag and Patriotism and yes the Flag has moved too.

tocar 2 years, 8 months ago

Why doesn't everyone move on to the next real code violation? Leave the American flag out of the conversation unless you have something to say about what it truly represents.

skilletsdirt 2 years, 8 months ago

The video only shows signs on private property. While there may have been some on the right of way, the video does't substantiate your claims.

skilletsdirt 2 years, 8 months ago

Tocar, I find it strange that you want us to leave the flag out of the conversation unless we talk about what it represents. I believe one thing it represents is freedom of speech. Your comments sound as if you want to take that away from us, by telling us what not to talk about. Nice.

VSU 2 years, 8 months ago

Sounds to me tocar is only pointing out that the American Flag is not a sign and should not be a part of code enforcements sign ordinance, therefore no code violation. In other words there should be more serious issues code enforcement should be concerned about......but I could be wrong.

waltspecht 2 years, 8 months ago

Code Enforcement has had a reputation for pulling political signs, and the Canidates complaining about the signs being stolen, or removed by a rival. So they normally have been doing a good job on the Political front. What a lot of it is about is obstruction of the line of vision of a driver, and the signs these folks go around just putting up. Like Mortage help, Weight Loss, Help with your Debt. Those signs that are more litter than information. It is supposed to deter the trashing of Albany. It wasn't written correctly, in that technically it could deal with displayed Flags on Memorial Day, Veteran's Day of to honor a fallen service member. Mostly these things are allowed to occurr, even tho the violate the code.

Outtahere 2 years, 8 months ago

Well, I think the squawker wanted us to talk about the way Ruth Lewis needs a reality check. Like, taking away the little power she has since it's all going to her head! Good idea and I'm sure we have several others to add, since we're talking about it!

Amazed2 2 years, 8 months ago

Well about a year or so ago I was riding thru downtown and noticed Sanford Bishop Signs all up and down the sidewalks and later in the evening his opponents signs were put out. This was at the City of Albany Auditorium at Pine and I think Jackson downtown. I knew these signs were in violation of the written ordinance so I dialed up 311 and asked if it was ok to put out signs along Pine and Jackson and I was told no, it is not allowed it is in violation of the sign ordinance so I said I would like to report a Crime. I was transferred to the City Code Dept and told them and I got the answer that yes it is in violation but sometimes those people next door on the 6th floor give special permission. I asked who should I talk to for clarification and Mr. Tison told me Wes Smith the assistant City Manager could answer my question. He did eventually call me back and was very nasty and said what the matter is it not your candidate. I told him it had nothing to do with who is running I just want to know is it legal. He changed his tune somewhat when I told him dont get pissed at me both the 311 people and the code inspection office told me it was in violation so I only ended up calling you when they told me to call you. He said the City had given special permission to let the signs be put out for the day but they had to be removed as soon as the debate was over. Point is the City selectively inforces this kind of stuff. The signs were practically across the street from the code dept. and City Government Bldg.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 8 months ago

Bingo Selective Enforcement. The Flag has moved but NOT the Sign that started the problem. Makes you wonder, just who owns that sign or who they know?