Squawk of the Day - March 11, 2012

"If Code Enforcement doesn’t have enough legitimate cases to keep them busy, they need to make them pick up trash around the bypass."

Comments

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 6 months ago

Sadly Code Enforcement does have more than enough legitimate cases to keep them busy.

The Flag issue is just another example of poor judgment used when working with the public. The officer did have a legitimate case to request the Flag to be moved, she just lack the Professionalism to deal with the public. Oddly they receive training to carry a gun, but none on sensitivity and dealing with the non-criminal public. Kind of like you train a pit bull to fight then your surprised when he bites your neighbor. The dog was only doing what you trained him to do.... So is it really fair to put the dog down and his master goes free....

Call, write or email your Commissioners do not let them go free from the problem they caused.

CJ_Fan 2 years, 6 months ago

Even better attend the Commissioners meeting and speak to them Face to Face. They can't run and hide there.

LuLu 2 years, 6 months ago

Is there a public record of the calls that come in to 311? I would like to see the 311 calls added to the published Police/Fire/EMS report. I saw the picture of the sign in question and unless the sign itself or the placement of it was illegal, I didn't see a problem with it. The report said it was "dilapidated and blighted", but from the picture turned in to code enforcement, it looked like neither. The sign belongs to "Party Plus". Who knows? It could have been called in by their competitor just to make trouble. Herald, can we get a weekly report of the 311 calls, too?

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 6 months ago

Lu I rode by and looked at the sign. It is a lot worse than the picture shows. It is "dilapidated and blighted". The sign is illegal and portable signs were banned in Albany about 15yrs ago. Something to think about look up on the tax rolls who owns that property (Big Attorneys in Albany) and that is not the only sign violation on the property kind of makes me go Hmmmm…but I did not say Selective enforcement. :-)

bubbavet 2 years, 6 months ago

It scares me to know she can carry a gun. Can you imagine getting shot over flying the American flag in your own country?

daisymae 2 years, 6 months ago

This case sounds like any other of, give someone power and they let it go to their head. Maybe this code officer is NOT a true American, I mean really, this flag has been flying all these years and they just decide to "make an example".

erudite 2 years, 6 months ago

No, this really is not directly related to today's squawk but a valid question nonetheless!!

Is there a code for walking/biking in Albany? Is "walk against traffic" and "bike ride with traffic" no longer taught? In the era of earphones with volume on 10 (or higher) I am afraid I will hit someone and I will be at fault.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 6 months ago

Not sure about current law but there is a bill in Ga. House directed at bike rider rules. Sorry not much better answer

Amazed2 2 years, 6 months ago

Albany is just darn "Joke". The schools system is a Joke, The Free Lunch Program is a Joke, The CRCT Cheating is a Joke, The sign ordinance is a Joke, By the way what happened to the Code People going around writting citations to Chick Filet and Moes for having there company vehicles with Logo's and artwork on them parked too close to the road?, The old Downtowner has been and is a Joke. I call it the Willie Adams Welcome Center, The RiverQuarium is a Joke, The Civic Center is a Joke, Our new Welcome to Albany WARNING Signs are a $600,000 Joke, The Downtown Development is a Joke (Free or Reduced Rent to Con Folks to move downtown is a Jok just wait till the people go broke or the rent goes up and BYE BYE), The Sand Dunes $500,000 Housing Development was and is a Joke (Talk about Blight and the City Paid to have Blight Built in the natural sand dunes), Well I guess those are just a few of the Jokes for now I am getting tired of typing Jokes. Oh yea the ASU mistakenly admitting more than 300 people that did not and could not meet basic standards is a Joke and while were at it the ASU taking the $3,000,000 dollars from the Ray Charles Foundation about 8 years ago to build a non existent building with is a Joke. Gee and now we have the Code Department attacking business men who Fly the American Flag what a Joke. I think the City of Albany should chande the Logo to the Joker and that is no Joke.