Veteran's tire issue unanswered

Navy veteran Kenneth Faircloth said he contacted Albany city officials more than six months ago about this pile of tires and other trash dumped in a wooded area off Barbre Lane. Faircloth said nothing has been done about his complaint.

ALBANY -- Navy veteran Kenneth Faircloth remembers when his neighborhood off Radium Springs Road was one of the nicest, most well-kept in Albany.

As Faircloth took a visitor on a tour of that neighborhood Monday morning, it became all too apparent that its days as a showcase had long since passed.

In a wooded lot just off Barbre Lane, between Radium Springs and Oakridge Drive, scores of old, worn tires have been unceremoniously dumped. Household garbage and other debris also litter the landscape.

"Yeah, this used to be as nice a neighborhood as there is in Albany," said Faircloth, the Navy veteran/businessman who also served as a district aide to Congressman Dawson Mathis and as a regional director for Sen. Mack Mattingly. "But people have been allowed to trash it up, and now it looks awful."

Faircloth, who for years helped manage the family-owned Faircloth Bonding business, said he contacted Albany officials more than six months ago about the trashy conditions of the land near the home that has been in his family for almost seven decades, emphasizing the piles of tires. But he said he has not had any feedback.

Faircloth said he did, however, bring his concerns to the attention of an Albany Police Department officer who was patrolling the area.

"I was riding back here, real slow, teaching my puppy not to jump off the back of the truck, when I saw a police officer staked out just over yonder," Faircloth said, indicating a location at the corner of Barbre and Hilsman lanes. "I mentioned that nothing had been done about my complaint, and she said, 'That's not my job.'

"She asked me if my dog would bite, and I said, 'He's a puppy and he's got teeth, but I wouldn't think so.' She told me, 'If he comes toward me, I'll shoot him.' I suggested I wouldn't do that if I were her, and I just left from out of there."

When informed of Faircloth's complaint, Code Enforcement Director Mike Tilson said Monday afternoon his office had no record of a complaint made by Faircloth or of anyone else about the wooded land off Barbre. He directed Chief Code Enforcement Officer Robert Carter to do a more thorough search.

Carter said there was no record of a complaint registered with the Code office or with the city's 311 call center. He did, however, find some interesting information about ownership of the property.

"We reported that area to Georgia EPD (Environmental Protection Division) last year when they held a training session in Leesburg on tire cleanup," Carter said. "They were, at the time, authorizing grants for areas that needed to be cleaned up, and in June of last year we turned in a list that included that area off Barbre and others in the county.

"As it turns out, all of that particular land back there is actually owned by the state of Georgia."

Informed of the findings of the Code officers, Faircloth confirmed that he had made his complaint to the police department, not the Code office.

"It is interesting, though, that a relative of one of the Code Enforcement officers lives in that area and he owns a tire business," Faircloth said.

Comments

paniconthenet 2 years, 1 month ago

Why is this even an issue of he said/she said? Regardless if he called six months ago, or if the state of Georgia owns the property... Fix the issue. The DOC had a bright Orange sticker on my door last fall when I "neglected" to maintain my lawn because I was away for a funeral. I know a neighbor called and complained because said neighbor told me so. The day prior to the date marked on the citation. If they can send someone out the next day to ticket a guy who hadn't cut his grass in a timely manner, they have had ample time to ticket the state for the over abundance of tires in that area. And maybe the state should do a better job of policing their own property to make sure it doesn't happen again!

And as for the female officer who threatened the gentleman with shooting his dog if it came any closer: A. That sounds almost made up. Then again, I don't know the officer, the puppy or if anyone (puppy included) felt threatened by the other. B. Get a badge number, a plate number, description of the officer, and an accurate account of the events that took place. File a complaint. If I were in your shoes, and I did nothing wrong and to my knowledge did not pose a threat to the officer, I would want her superiors to know the way she interacts with the public. I also would have liked an explanation as to why she felt it necessary to speak to me (a citizen of this county, and a payer of her paycheck) in this manner.

ObjectiveEyes 2 years, 1 month ago

Code Enforcement can't address REAL issues because they are too busy harassing law-abiding, productive businessmen about the American flag. Albany/DOCO government is an absolute joke at every level.

AlbPieMaster 2 years, 1 month ago

Anybody notice Bo Henry's Flags, and a bunch of them, lining Dawson Road today. Once again Bo is calling out the City. Get em Bo.

VietVet1 2 years, 1 month ago

Check and balance. What if: Business selling tires had to maintain a record of where old tires are deposed equal to amount purchased/sold. AND, any business/individual found/caught disposing tires illegally put a heavy fine and some jail time. This is the only way to curb this action.

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

I know this is a serious subject but I MUST tell you something funny. When I saw CODE ENFORCEMENT it brought back a funny memory. In my younger days when my husband was active duty AF ....I had this friend, Alice, and she was given a ticket by Civil Engineering Code Enforcement for not having the grass cleaned out of the cracks in the sidewalk in front of her base house. Alice was this HUGE woman, and I don't mean fat, I mean HUGE, like a linebacker. She had a reputation for being loud and getting things done and for making sure right was right...she was a Boston yankee. I think everyone was afraid of Alice, even the Wing Commander. Her husband was on his 3rd tour of Vietnam and Alice had just about enough of Code Enforcement and their silly rules. Grass in her cracks sent her over the edge. Like a mad bull she stormed the Base Commander's office, who actually was on the cul-da-sac we lived on, and went into a rage about how dare those code people even have the nerve to assume they knew what is growing in her cracks....and how dare they put it in writing for all to see...it was hilarious.....she raved on and on. Then just as quickly as the tirade began she stopped, looked at the note they wrote the violation on and said...."oh maybe I have misuderstood, wrong crack" giggled and left. She was such a devil............I miss her still.

waltspecht 2 years, 1 month ago

Just gotta ask, What does his being a VETERAN have to do with any of this?

jglass 2 years, 1 month ago

Hopefully the situation will be handled. If you ever have a complaint, etc. call 311 because they record when the complaint came in and it has to be dealt with in a timely manner. Also, when you see a police, etc. doing wrong.......badge number, car number, time of day, location and call in and complain. The only thing, you have no clue who is taking the complaint or if it will be handled.

Amazed2 2 years, 1 month ago

Well really do you think that CODE inforcement is actually going to go after obviously illegal tire dumpers. Na! Best way to get them other there is to put an AMERICAN FLAG up near the tires. Within 24 to 48 hours they will get it and be their in force. IF you out one of those AMERICAN FLAGS out there then you won't have to call nobody. Code Enforcement will send out a pistol toting female enforcer to Violate Everyone in the neighborhood. Code Enforcement usually works the Dawson and Slappeys area cause they have a lots of business mens that are kind of like members of them American organizations and sometimes they fly those Red White and Blue Flags. The Code Busters Don't even have to gets their shoes dirty or nothing to bust them folks.

AlbPieMaster 2 years, 1 month ago

Anybody notice Bo Henry's Flags lining Dawson Road today and they are right next to the street curb. Once again Bo is calling out the City. Get em Bo.

Moe 2 years, 1 month ago

Someone needs to call Judy "Toilet" Bowles and make her clean it up along with her lickspittles from code enforcement. Perhaps if these slobs are out doing physical labor, they'll have less time to harass local businesses.

chinaberry25 2 years, 1 month ago

Sounds a little funny about the police officer. Was there two of them for they are not going to stake out dead tires for no reason.