Three DCSS high schools make state DOE's list of worst-performing schools

ATLANTA — Albany, Monroe and Dougherty high schools were among the Georgia Department of Education’s list of the 78 worst performing schools in the state as part of its waiver from the federal No Child Left Behind law.

The list sent out Tuesday afternoon identifies the state’s “priority” schools — those that consistently perform poorly on tests or have low graduation rates.

Albany High is designated as a SIG (School Improvement Grant) facility while Dougherty and Monroe were cited for lack of achievement.

Albany and Dougherty are in their fourth consecutive years of NI (Needs Improvement) while Monroe is in its second year.

Other region schools on the list are Randolph (SIG), and Sumter and Terrell County high schools. (Achievement).

The schools on the list will qualify for state assistance aimed at improving student achievement.

The state was one of 10 states to win waivers last month from the highly criticized federal law. More states are expected to apply for relief.

The other designations for school performance under Georgia’s waiver are: alert schools, focus schools and reward schools. All designations will be handed out by the Fall.

Comments

CJ_Fan 2 years, 1 month ago

Where are all the good Dumb-ocrats?

Take your best shot to spin this. Make me believe DCSS is doing a GREAT job or do we have to wait for some kind of court case or trail!

Welome to dumbing DOWN of Albany

DOE's list of worst-performing schools but well supported by Coach and crew. That is what they want that is why they keep voting them in. Wise words from Coach and crew....

CJ_Fan 2 years, 1 month ago

Bubbavet_rureel on #34

"he is a true leader, and it's not always the first that will lead sometimes it's the last."

Ok but just where is he Leading DCSS? Off a cliff?

But a wise man once said

"Education is the only hope for a better tomorrow for our children. If we settle for mediocre and do not reach for the best how do we expect them to be better than just mediocre."

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

Now you're doing the Glenn Beck thing and using their own words against them!! That surely must be a Hate Crime!

bubbavet 2 years, 1 month ago

How about "A mind is a terrible thing to waste",but "A waste is a terrible thing to mind".

Cartman 2 years, 1 month ago

Sadly, this is not shocking news. I would have been surprised if Albany high schools had NOT made the "worst high schools" list. I can't wait to hear the excuses from the school board and superintendent.

CJ_Fan 2 years, 1 month ago

O Crap you did it now!!!!!!!

Bubba "member of the Crew" thinks he is the spell police, bet you pi**ed him off ...... he will get YOU now

CJ_Fan 2 years, 1 month ago

Terry must be reading the post less than 30 mins for a correction

CJ_Fan 2 years, 1 month ago

My point was you try HARD to make sure your articles are correct, even at midnight..THANK You..Keep up the good work...and watch out the mud slingers will be awake soon.

Citizen_A 2 years, 1 month ago

It is correct the way they have it...it is a grammar rule not a spelling error...

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

Switching over to online High School just now...........don't have time for this crappola. Preparing for the onslaught of homeschoolers busting down the doors of DoCo schools, demanding a desk. Please leave message...........................

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

Of course we could all just accuse the Ga. Dept. of Education as "racists" and go on our merry way. That might help us sleep better at night.........................

Shinedownfan 2 years, 1 month ago

Guess we need to move all those empty portables over to Westover so that the students can have a better chance to pass tests and graduate.

chinaberry25 2 years, 1 month ago

Pretty soon they will run out of principals to juggle around. Then they may discover it is not really the schools, but the students may have something to do with it. There are not enough books to take home, and if they do they will be pawned at the bookstore, and when do they have homework to do? Rarely if ever. You cannot get a good education in 45 minutes or less. 50 minute classes and 15 minutes for the tardies to make it to class. So less time to really learn anything. Lateness to class is a big factor. Or skipping altogether.

waltspecht 2 years, 1 month ago

Basicaly the System is trying to fight the in place Life Ethic of the students. Developed and nurtured by the Parents, Peers and System itself. There is no quick fix, but something needs to be started to reclaim the system. Even if a whole generation is partially lost it is a small number compared to continueing the current expectations. The last time I can remember the system working, Teachers were respected, discipline ruled the school, Principles actually sat in on class and patroled the halls, and there was a Dean in charge of student behavior. Plus we recited the Pledge of Allegience. Occasionally saying a Prayer didn't hurt anyone that I remember.

jglass 2 years, 1 month ago

So, if schools perform below expectations they are given grant monies? Do they not look inside the schools to see where the problems might be? Do schools doing great academically get any type of grant rewards? Today's schooling is totally different from back in the day. No, you cannot learn everything within the classes, that is why there is homework. It is sad that books needed to get an education are not available or are allowed to be sold or destroyed by students and them not be held accountable. It appears that education is going to pot!!!!

chinaberry25 2 years, 1 month ago

I can tell you what I read in the Randolph County paper. They are on the list too. The elementary school passed CRCT a few years ago and they got a bonus. The middle school didn't pass and they got more money than elementary school. So they do not care. The elementary teachers got nothing out of the bonus and middle school teachers got money to spend on their classrooms. Most of the supplies have to be purchased by the teacher.

43cop 2 years, 1 month ago

Really, did any of you expect any better from the DCSS ? With the leadership (and I use this term very loosely) that the Board has, the system is really higher than expected. Just three (3).

tocar 2 years, 1 month ago

Do people not understand that education begins in the home? When these students do not have parents who do anything but keep having babies and living off of the government then there are not any examples of intelligence within their home environment. Students need a stable home environment that promotes a desire to attend school, study, and learn. Unfortunately some parents use the public school system as a day care center and any encouragement from the home ends there. We also need to look within the school systems to see where the problems may be. I must have missed the boat when I was growing up. I knew without asking that I would attend school each day to study and learn. When I got out of school at the end of the day I knew my priority was to do my homework and prepare me for the next day of learning. My parents were there to encourage me and were there to help me learn. I also grew up in a morally good and stable home.

TrixibelleBento 2 years, 1 month ago

It's not the schools...it's the kids going to them. I managed my way through Dougherty Junior and High Schools and actually obtained a decent education. The schools weren't the best--my parents couldn't afford private education, but I still managed to go to college and get Bachelor's and Master's degrees. I ran around with a core of good kids, and I'm not sure that those groups exist anymore in those schools.

We had some bad kids there, but they were taken care of by the teachers and principals and didn't disrespect the classroom. Now if you touch anyone's child, the parents scream bloody murder and sue the school system. My parents gave school administration authority to do whatever necessary to keep me in line, though they never had to do that. I was a good student. I had parents who CARED.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 1 month ago

Hey, I graduated from Albany High, but that was twenty-something years ago... Albany was totally different back then.

chinaberry25 2 years, 1 month ago

Wake up, It is the schools too. If not, then they would not have the cheating fiasco.

TrixibelleBento 2 years, 1 month ago

No one would've had to worry about my answers...they were correct by my own accord.

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

Funny we haven't heard from coach telling us what a fantastic job #34 and the school board is doing for our schools. Unless their #1 goal was to make the top of the list as the worst schools, then I would say they have done a fabulous job.

Royalstar 2 years, 1 month ago

It doesn't matter that the school system is a joke. When business people come to Albany and see the beautiful signs as they enter the city they fall down on their knees and beg Albany to let them bring their business here.

dingleberry 2 years, 1 month ago

I surely hope all those we are planning to welcome to Albany with the new signs don't get wind that we only have 25% of our high schools performing marginally or better. Next year we won't be able to cook the books on performance since the new whistle blower program will be in effect and working like a champ. Maybe we can tell prospects that we offer assistance for filling out the free lunch forms--we do it, you sign--and can guarantee income won't be a problem if we happen to attract a family with income outside the poverty level. I suppose I worry too much--there won't be anyone interested in education or employment coming.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

That preacher needs to tour the schools again. "Appalling" he said.......looks like he was right after all.

chinaberry25 2 years, 1 month ago

If they don't graduate until they are 22 or reach the age of 22, they can draw welfare 4 years longer. You must be in school for your guardians to draw welfare. Lose it if you graduate at 18. Now, who is the dumb and dumber.

tocar 2 years, 1 month ago

The Board of Education and commissioners want the taxpayers to contribute to the mentality of this city and county. Residents in other states will tell you that Albany, Georgia is known as the welfare capital of the south, and they can live cheaply here. This really says allots for the city of Albany. An education is not required. Look at the majority.

CJ_Fan 2 years, 1 month ago

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the three mediocre musketeers are missing. They feel they have WON and their dreams of mediocrity have been fulfilled. So Now I’m guessing they have no need to rail against those who had desired Quality.

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

Refresh my memory......who are the 3 again.....sorry but I am old and can't remember who the 3 are....i promise to make a list and keep it by my PC.

Bubbavet_rureel 2 years, 1 month ago

People, it takes time to turn things around. The system has the right plans in place, the foundation is being built and trust me it will be something to SHOUT ABOUT! Please give the leaders a chance, here are some support suggestions:

1. Pray for the Children, Parents, Teachers, Administrators, Support Staff, and Yourselves.
  2. Volunteer your talents.
  3. Advocate and talk positive about the system.
  4. Post at least one positive comment.
  5. Give old Bubbavet_rureel a break.
  6. Lastly, be my friend.

I'm reading your comments, however, I'm busy dealing with national politics on a regular basis, GOP, Democracts etc...

tywebb 2 years, 1 month ago

albany is smack dab in the middle of the bible belt.....there are more churches here than anywhere else (exagerration?).....people pray all the time for every little thing possible. Conclusion: prayer doesn't work.....better try something else.....like getting rid of ineffective leaders, administrators, teachers, etc......making parents more accountable.....making students more accountable.....getting rid of students who prevent learning from happening, etc!

Concerned622 2 years, 1 month ago

Maybe you are praying to the wrong god. You better believe I pray for EVERY LITTLE THING and my God does answer my prayers. Yet, I do agree with you that parents and students should be more accountable and we need more effective leadership. (And I'm gonna pray for YOU!)

tywebb 2 years, 1 month ago

how do you know the prayers are answered? seriously! how do you know it wouldn't have worked if you didn't pray?

bubbasmithredneck 2 years, 1 month ago

Good job Bubbavet.....some people are just so negative, but at least you offer a solution to a serious problem. Its easy to ridicule from a far and do nothing. But it takes a real man to offer service or advice to correct a sad situation.

tywebb 2 years, 1 month ago

wow, you just claimed that you are not a real man, since you have never offered service or advice on correcting a sad situation. When you get your head out of rureels butt, why don't you offer up something positive? quit being his little lap dog! UNLESS.....you and rureel are the same person.....#34!!!!!!!! I knew it!!!!!!!

CJ_Fan 2 years, 1 month ago

O YES the Bub and Crew would stand by and watch a drunken friend continue to drive around their neighborhood smashing into cars, light poles and houses even after they saw him hit the first or even the second car. At what point do they say that guy must be a danger to my neighborhood instead of just sitting on their porchs and yelling at the people who are trying to stop him, “Just give him time he will sober up and his driving will improve”.

LuLu 2 years, 1 month ago

Great analogy! That's exactly how their brand of "logic" works.

rorschach 2 years, 1 month ago

Has anyone considered the notion that maybe the reason the schools are failing is because of quantity not quality. Some of you are graduates of this school system and were taught by some of the same teachers that are still teaching now. I would venture to say that current students who demonstrate the same behavior traits that you showed are doing just as well as you did when you were in school. The problem is not the quality of education the students are exposed to. Any student who really wants a good education can get it in this system in spite of this system's flaws. Some of the schools are failing because of graduation rate. Under NCB, after four years, a school has to graduate the number of students in that graduation class that entered the school in the ninth grade. For example, 300 students entered 9th grade. 20 of those students are in special classes and cannot earn a regular diploma,. They are labeled as drop outs under NCB. You throw in another 30 true drop outs who quit school for whatever reason. Now you have a scenario where the school has to graduate 300 seniors even though there are only 250 eligible seniors still in school. This school will fail under NCB even though there could be 250 seniors who have received a quality education and many of them are qualified to enter the college or university of their choice. Under this scenario you can see how it is virtually impossible to some schools to make AYP under NCB.

tywebb 2 years, 1 month ago

so, how does westover do it? they have the same issues you brought up. why aren't there other schools on the list? it's not just for high schools. thanks

rorschach 2 years, 1 month ago

Sorry folks, that would be" NCLB"

Bubbavet_rureel 2 years, 1 month ago

Bubba's stick together - we know what it takes to bring about a change in education. You guys should know that the Bubba's are friendly, we're juist looking for friends. kindness turns away anger any day.

However, you guys opinion really matter, I hope people including the Bubba's strat to take you guys serious, print something positive okay.

Can we be friends? Will you agree to typing something positive tonight? Thanks from the Bubba's

CJ_Fan 2 years, 1 month ago

Yes the Mediocre Musketeers know what it takes to bring about a change in education. Sadly they want to sit by and pray the fire will go out before the house burns to ashes. They also know their calls for complacency is the best way to block others from making positive changes. Even for the neighbors trying to stop the drunk from wrecking, the Musketeers shout “Just give him time he will sober up and his driving will improve”.

Your positive sarcasm is duly noted “Friend”

TrixibelleBento 2 years, 1 month ago

Here it is: Something Positive.

Has anything changed yet?

How about now?

Now?

AlbPieMaster 2 years, 1 month ago

I am Positive while some are sitting and waiting on a miracle.

Maybe it is time to get off a bended knee and listen to the other voices that are speaking to you. They just might be the guidance from God you have been praying for. Maybe God is trying to show you the error in your ways and thinking....What gives you the right to judge a messenger that God has sent to you? Or do you believe your God only thinks as you do so any other voice besides yours is the devil?

Maybe if you were not so “Holier than Thou” you could hear God speaking to you.

Bubbavet_rureel 2 years, 1 month ago

Thanks guys for being positive, now we have to do something positive, here is a list of suggestions:

1. Please volunteer at one of the local high schools, ie... mentor, coach,council, share experiencess, etc...
  2. Start a prayer group at the Turtle Park and pray for the system at least three to four times a week, this has the numbers 3 and 4 in them, something your'e familar with.
  3. Invite students to your church, so they can mingle with your kids and your church youth

Lastly, work to be the Bubba's friend, type something positive.

Bubbavet_rureel

Bubbavet_rureel 2 years, 1 month ago

Guys, we are part of the history making improvment - movement. I cant wait to here your opinions and commitments.

Trust me the numbers will improve, and with your help, we will see results.

Goodnight, Bubbavet_rureel.

50 comments - wow!!!!

Guest8675309 2 years, 1 month ago

Bubba vet and bubba redneck and coach are all the same person. coach is a very needy person who needs attention, he doesn't coach anymore.

tywebb 2 years, 1 month ago

yep, as I have been saying, they are all #34

tywebb 2 years, 1 month ago

credit where credit is due: rureel has cried out for positive comments and for the most part, that persons comments have been positive. I don't usually agree with them, and sometimes they come off as sarcastic, but they have been pretty positive. No, I won't be your friend, I have enough of them, but keep trying to be positive. Now, back to my normal negative posting.......you need to pick ONE user and name and just stick with it! thanks

LuLu 2 years, 1 month ago

Their (or his) comments are positive only because they're platitudes! "Pray!" "Volunteer!" "Be positive!" These are head-in-the-sand DENIALS, not true solutions to anything we have to tackle here.

tywebb 2 years, 1 month ago

i wasn't saying they were solutions. just that they didn't always bash another poster. And fyi....things are not going to get "tackled" by posting on here.

MRKIA 2 years, 1 month ago

I'M WAITING FOR BUBBA-VET TO SAY THAT THE SCHOOL BOARD NEEDS NEW MEMBERS AND TO CALL THE NAACP TO TASK FOR THEIR SILENCE. ALL OF THIS FEELS-GOOD BECAUSE IT SOUNDS GOOD PLATITUDES AND CALL FOR HOURLY GROUP PRAYER MAKES ME WANT TO SEND HIM A CROSS SO HE CAN NAIL HIMSELF UPON IT.

Bubbavet_rureel 2 years, 1 month ago

Thanks MRKIA, I respect your comments.

Bubbavet_rureel