Price to run for Dougherty School Board

ALBANY -- Willson Hospice House Medical Director Dr. Lane Price says she will announce her candidacy for the Dougherty County Board of Education at-large seat currently held by Anita Williams Brown at 10 a.m. today at The International Studies Elementary School.

A native of Americus, Price and her husband, Julian, have been Albany residents for the past four years, she said she has been appalled at what she has seen from the Dougherty Board of Education.

"It's been hard to watch the recent actions by the Board of Education and not notice the lying, cheating and utter lack of oversight that's been going on," Price said Tuesday evening. "I believe in the public school system and I think the current board needs to be reinvigorated and needs honest, ethical oversight.

"The community can no longer tolerate a Board that will look the other way when teachers, staff, administrators or elected officials are being unethical. This must end.

"I believe I can be that watchdog."

Price, a board-certified oncologist, was a math and science teacher in Atlanta for four years and obtained a master's degree in education from the University of Georgia in 1968 before pursuing her medical degree from the Medical College of Georgia.

She thinks part of the DCSS's current problems stems from an overall lack of passion within the entire system.

"The lack of passion for learning I see from the students, teachers and administrators is alarming," Price said. "We have some very good teachers in this system, but I am concerned about this lack of passion, and right now the system is broken."

If elected, Price said she would go back and look at the system's history to see where mistakes were made.

"When I take my seat, I will go back and look at history and see how we got to this point today," Price said. "We also need to look at the present. Westover's Literary team (which just won a AAA State Championship), The international baccalaureate program and Early College should be inspirations to us.

"I want to be a leader in helping our community to achieve the goal of being a successful school system, and I want to be known as a person who is passionate about education in Dougherty County."

Comments

Abytaxpayer 2 years ago

Looks like the Sun is shining on Albany. A math and science teacher with a master's degree in education from the University of Georgia who thinks the current board needs honest, ethical oversight. The alarm has sounded and it is time to wake up and support this person willing to be a Leader working for our children’s futures.

KaosinAlbany 2 years ago

Sure wish she was in the Super's seat. She is better qualified than # 34.

waltspecht 2 years ago

Now if all the good folks of Albany will just get out there and vote for her, there may be a change coming.

glennw 2 years ago

Sounds appropriate - Someone from hospice headed over to the School Board...

Shinedownfan 2 years ago

OH THANK GOD! Someone to run against #34's old pal Anita Williams-Brown! Thanks to her we are stuck with him!

Local 2 years ago

Lane needs our support - let's help get the word out!!

rock 2 years ago

Hey, does anyone wonder why super coach johnson does not run. He is so strong of opinion on the school board and lazy, criminal teachers that I think he is part of the problem himself. Maybe the DCSS could use him and 34.

jglass 2 years ago

I will vote for Dr. Price in a heartbeat!!!

43cop 2 years ago

OK Albany, you will have a choice to put in a fine lady, an excellent and caring Doctor and a person who has this comminity at heart. Lane Price is a wonderful lady who cared for my mother prior to her death and even though I disagreed with some of her procedures, looking back, maybe she was right. Let's vote Albany, Dougherty County and maybe, just maybe, someone will run against the entire commission of both city and county and get rid of the dead weight we now have.

tywebb 2 years ago

it sounds as if she's OVERqualified to be a school board member in dougherty county! If she's black she has a chance of winning.....if not, she's fighting an uphill battle! good luck. some will think my comments are ridiculous, but deep down, they know I'm right!

VSU 2 years ago

I guess right about now Brown, Bush, June Bug & #34 are scrambling to come up with a game plan and see how many fake identities they can come up with, dig up uncle leroy, and put in his vote. I hope she's in my district, she's got my vote.

waltspecht 2 years ago

I believe the At Large means the whole County and City so you should definately be able to vote for her

VSU 2 years ago

I hope so, I guess I was thinking of the June Bug situation. I had no voice in voting against him.

LuLu 2 years ago

Okay, here is another GREAT opportunity for Albany! But BJ Fletcher was a great opportunity, too, and for all the support she had, it just wasn't enough. If we want to get this done, people (everyone!!) are going to have to get up off their computers and do some major legwork!

TheMember 2 years ago

ALL THE SUPPORT SHE HAD???? We had the worst turn out for that race, there is no doubt BJ could have won if everyone would have taken 10 mins out of their day to vote, THEY DIDN'T DO IT AND SHE LOST. Now if we get out and vote, Mrs. Price will win.

KaosinAlbany 2 years ago

Alright!!! I sure hope she wins. Good luck to you Dr. Price and I will be cheering you on.

Cartman 2 years ago

Oh pleeeeaaaassseeee!!!!!!!!!!

jglass 2 years ago

Hey, why not Dr. Price and hmmmmm, BJ what about a place on the school board? I would vote for both of you!!!!

VSU 2 years ago

Now that's change I can believe in.

chinaberry25 2 years ago

Maybe the time is ripe for new blood and the county voters are antsy. She may have a chance of winning. Especially if she is black. Do not know her, but good luck. The time has come to oust dirty politicians of all races. End their career now. Arthur Williams never thought he could be beat. Times they are changin.

tocar 2 years ago

Dr. Price has my vote. She is a fine lady and very professional in her work and devotion to others. She will be an asset to the community and the school board.

JR 2 years ago

thanks, Phoebe, for bringing Dr. Price to Albany...its people like she and her husband that come here and see the negativite forces in our community and want to make a positive difference. Some Albanians (mostly posters here, it seems) only want to gripe, see only the negative, and coach from the sidelines. So refreshing to see Dr, Price, a relative new comer step up to the plate. We should all take note.