Squawk of the Day - March 23, 2012

"My dictionary says the pit bull breed “was developed and is now often trained for fighting.” That explains the dog’s vicious nature, something that can’t be lightly dismissed."

Comments

rock 2 years, 5 months ago

I had a pitbull that was the most gentle of animals. It is the breed that is sometimes taught to fight. it is the owner who teaches and loves thier animal to be gentle and loving. I can teach your chihuahua to be mean, just by being mean to the animal. every animal I have ever owned from my dogs to my horses has biten me on occasion. does'nt make them mean. Means I did somehing to hurt them.

waltspecht 2 years, 5 months ago

Doberman Pinchers were man trackers and guard dogs. Bull Dogs were bred to fight Bulls in a ring. A Bull Terrior was bred for ring fighting. Boxers were long legged Bulldogs. Dachshounds were to fight Fox and Badger underground. Airdales were bred to protect hound packs from Bears and Cats. Rootweilers were bred to assist the Butcher in bringing cows to the shop for slaughter, and protect the shop at night. A Staffordshire Terrior was bred for dog fighting. Afgans were bred t run down and kill Antelope. Fox Terriors were bred as Ratters. The list goes on, and the gene tends to hide out in every member of the breed. So don't single out the Bred, single out the owners and how they take care of their dogs.

skilletsdirt 2 years, 5 months ago

Humans were developed to procreate. Tis a shame the squawkers parents did.

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 5 months ago

Here we go again--once again the squawker is showing their ignorance. Personally, I think cocker spaniels are vicious dogs. They should be subjected to the same "vicious dog" laws as the pit bulls.

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 5 months ago

I was once bitten by a Cocker Spaniel but it was chained up so I couldn't blame the poor thing.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 5 months ago

We've already discussed this, and commented on this, and read all the pros and cons about this. WTH was the herald staff thinking when they chose this as squawk of the day?

dingleberry 2 years, 5 months ago

All the media is fixated on pits these days. Have good horse, eh dog, will ride as long as possible--expect more.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 5 months ago

But squawk of the day??? We've already had two or three "SotD"'s on pit bulls. I wish I had a paper here at work so I can choose my own "SotD".

SweetPea 2 years, 5 months ago

I agree with Shinedownfan. Been here, done this. The CDC statistics are plain as day.

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 5 months ago

Any dog has a potential to be vicious, even little dogs. It is up to the owner whether the dog will be vicious or not. I wish people would understand that fact.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 5 months ago

Portuguese water dogs are very, very dangerous also.

waltspecht 2 years, 5 months ago

Doesn't one of them have Secret Service Back-up?

Cartman 2 years, 5 months ago

Pit bulls need to hire a new PR firm because their current one sucks.

VietVet1 2 years, 5 months ago

Don't have a dog. Use my .357 or 12 gauge pump

Racc 2 years, 5 months ago

I was once bitten by a weiner dog, so I guess they are dangerous to.

waltspecht 2 years, 5 months ago

Truth be told, If it goes "WOOF" With the right provocation it will bite.

chinaberry25 2 years, 5 months ago

Personalities differ in every create on earth. It is called the alpha dog, alpha bitch. You ought to see these wild turkeys fight. It is a sight to behold and no one trains them. They are just following nature. It is what it is.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 5 months ago

I seen videos of deers and mooses going after hunters. Left them hunters all messed up. Truth be told we all should just stay hole up in our houses.