Squawk of the day - March 27, 2012

"There are many reasons, both operational and social, why a new airport terminal is needed. Concerned squawkers should attend the airport commission meetings to learn about the facts before writing ridiculous statements about the new project."

Comments

beartrap 2 years ago

A 'social" reason for a new terminal???

erudite 2 years ago

Anybody know to what 'ridiculous statements' the squawker is referring?

Shinedownfan 2 years ago

Yeah, I think I have seen one squawk concerning the airport, and it was mentioned along with something else they want to build or improve in Albany... It was so insignificant that I can't even remember the squawk.

beartrap 2 years ago

It had something to do with questioning the need for a bigger or new terminal when there is only one airline and six flights a day...Every time I've been there,the terminal was mostly empty except right at flight time and even then it wasn't crowded at all...

waltspecht 2 years ago

I believe the comment was that if the City and County spent money on maintaining these fixtures prudently, they wouldn't have to replace them.

TrixibelleBento 2 years ago

I think 50 years is getting good usage out of a building, especially a public one...I'm excited that we're getting something new and different.

Cartman 2 years ago

Leave us squawkers alone or feel our wrath. You will be calling that place the " Arthur Williams Micro-Aerodrome" or the "Johnson Space Center" before its over.

LikeItIs 2 years ago

The airport commission is putting the cart before the horse. If you want to grow service at ABY to justify terminal improvements then hold ASA accountable to provide scheduled service, not the random operations I experienced during my time in Albany. When I lived in Albany I had far better results driving to Columbus, or just skipping the ASA roulette completely and driving to Atlanta.

agirl_25 2 years ago

I have to agree with Likeltis. I fly out of Atlanta every year and have flown out of Albany four times and each time it was a nightmare and swore I would never do it again. I have flown out of Atlanta every year since 1999 and have never had a flight delay (believe it or not, but it is true). Once I didn't have a direct flight coming in to Atlanta and had a layover in Charlotte and did miss a flight but the delay was only an hour and it was not bad at all. I wish the service was better in Albany because I would prefer to leave from here and would prefer my friends and family fly in to Albany but they too dislike the service and have had some bad experiences so we meet elsewhere when we go off on our yearly vacations. It is so nice to have a regional airport but there really needs to be some improvement in order to attract flyers. You are missing out on 6 of us in May, unfortunately, as we drive to Atlanta for our flight. The cost of a flight from Albany to Atlanta is ridiculous and I must say I do enjoy the drive with friends much more than the flight anyway. Another thing, sorry about not attending Commission meetings but they are at the top of my list of things I prefer not to do. And I am not squawking about the airport terminal....I am giving a follow up opinion.

Cartman 2 years ago

Hey girl. It was just a squawk - not a federal directive. You can still squawk without attending their meeting. You don't need their permission.

agirl_25 2 years ago

Well yeah but it seems there is always someone with a bone to pick....thought I had better make it clear. I know permission isn't needed. Now if you will excuse me, I have a yard full of bones to haul away. Have a nice evening and thanks for the heads up. Oh and PS...I recall Arthur Willliams but whatever happened to the little fella Henry Mathias (spelling?). Doesn't he want something named after him too?

TrixibelleBento 2 years ago

You folks must have some atrocious luck...I fly out of Albany all the time and haven't had a single issue. The folks are pleasant, TSA is quick, I avoid the madness of ATL traffic and I'm home in 20 minutes when I return. My bags have occasionally been late, but it's because of tight connections, so I've gotten my stuff usually on the next flight.

Yes, flight costs from Albany-Atlanta are high, but I hope folks know that if you're flying beyond Atlanta, you don't price each flight separately. When you fly from Albany to Tahiti, you just search Albany to Tahiti--you don't add the Albany-Atlanta segment to the Atlanta-Tahiti segment. I find that people do that a lot. Costs go down when you book origin to destination.

I like utilizing our hometown airport. I'm just looking forward to getting more comfortable seating and seeing the changes that are going to happen.

LikeItIs 2 years ago

I agree the cost is ridiculous, especially given the poor level of service. As a business traveler I found I had to add an additional $600-$1000 to the cost of flying out of Albany when doing cost comparisons with other airports (Columbus, Tallahassee, Atlanta), in spite of living only 20 minutes from the airport. This was due to averaging lost billings in prior trips using ABY (not to mention loss of goodwill when I could not travel in a timely manner to service an emergency) I finally eliminated ABY from my options completely. It might be enlightening if small businesses with a dependency on timely transportation in and out of ABY (if there are any left in town) were surveyed to see how they handle the situation. In my experience the mix using ABY consists of once a year (or less) leisure travelers, government workers, or employees of companies such as P&G who are far less sensitive to lost time. I know local boosters like to talk up Albanys “central location”. What this really meant to me is it was extremely difficult and time consuming to get anywhere else in the country. Albany has a long and sad history of discouraging transportation links (remember the Interstate debate back in the 50’s?). I hope they realize that a pretty new terminal means nothing to someone who is watching their livelihood tick away because ASA cannot get their act together. The “social” aspect has me a bit puzzled. Is the commission planning on renting the place out for Debutante parties or Tea Dances?

agirl_25 2 years ago

I am strictly a pleasure traveler and hate making connections anywhere...am a non-stop type of traveler and willing to pay extra for a non-stop flight. My flights are always from Atlanta to Europe and usually to Munich and from there I have a Rail pass and go on from there to wherever I have decided to settle in for the duration of the vacation. This spring we will be going out of Atlanta non-stop to London and once again using the Rail pass. The frustration I have had in Albany is just not worth it, and no, it has never been with TSA...they and the other staff have always been wonderful, even in Atlanta. I have never had a problem with TSA in any airport and have no complaints with security anywhere. Customs officials are a bit gruff in Atlanta at times but maybe after saying "Welcome Home" for 8 hours they get a bit tired...I probably would.