Maschke will not seek fourth term

David Maschke

David Maschke

ALBANY — In a somewhat surprising move, 12-year Dougherty County School Board member David Maschke announced Wednesday that he will not seek a fourth term on the board.

Maschke, who represents District 1, said he is choosing to focus on his family and career rather than pursue another term on the School Board.

“I began serving in January 2001,” Maschke said. “I have expended a tremendous amount of time, energy, resources and my own personal money serving the citizens of this community. I want to now concentrate on my family and my architectural career. It is time for someone else to step forward to assume the responsibility of serving the students, parents, teachers and taxpayers of District 1.

“Serving on the school board is grueling and time-consuming, as well as mentally and physically taxing.”

Maschke added, “I will continue to serve out the remainder of my term with the same commitment and vigor with which I have always served.”

Elected to the BOE in 2000 after defeating Jerry Plowden, Maschke has also served as board chairman.

His decision not to seek re-election leaves Milton “June Bug” Griffin, who was also elected in 2000, as the senior member of the board.

In addition to District 1, three other BOE seats will be at stake in November’s general election: seats held by at-large member Anita Williams-Brown, District 3 member Velvet Riggins and District 5 Board Chairman James Bush.

Willson Hospice House Medical Director Dr. Lane Price has qualified for the seat currently held by Williams-Brown, while late Wednesday, Manswell Peterson, who finished third in the 2004 Senate 151 Democratic primary to Freddie Powell Sims and Lawrence Roberts, said he is considering a run at Maschke’s soon-to-be empty District 1 seat.

“I think that David has done a tremendous job on the local school board,” Peterson said. “I am putting out some feelers now, but I am 95 percent sure I will run. I think we need some new faces on the board, and I think I have a chance to make that happen.”

Comments

AnotherMom 2 years ago

A great big thank you to David Maschke for your untiring service to the taxpayers of Ward 1. It has helped greatly having someone of your caliber on the Board. I only hope someone with similar abilities steps forward to serve. We do not need anyone else with the mentality of some of those currently occupying a space at the table.

Sister_Ruby 2 years ago

In the time-honored style of Carlton Fletcher, let me leave you with some song lyrics that match this situation:

Don't let the bastards get you down..... Bono and U2

Cartman 2 years ago

Good job David. You were the only one on the board who could be trusted. Thanks for your service to all of us.

dingleberry 2 years ago

Understand your need to get away from what has to be a very frustrating situation. Yes, you served long and well with the appreciation of those of us who understand what is involved. .You will be missed.

Amazed2 2 years ago

Now that the Captain of the ship and a fine one he has been is leaving his post for calmer waters only the rats will be left to scurry around the decks of the lost ghost ship without a clue how to read a compass or chart basic course. Capt. David I salute you and thank you for sticking around and giving your time for so many years. Maybe this will be an opportunity for someone else to step forward from the dark and take over the helm and navigate the ghost ship back from the losy sea.

waltspecht 2 years ago

Thanks for trying and enduring. It must have been one heck of an "A" ticket ride all these years.

tocar 2 years ago

Thanks, David, for your services and efforts in representing us on the school board. You worked diligently and tirelessly in your long time of serving in a dignified and intelligent way. We pray that we will have someone else represent us as you did and not of the mentality of most of those remaining. You must be exhausted from trying and enduring what you had to work with. Best wishes to you and your family.

reb_arty1863 2 years ago

Thank you for your service and I understand the need to get away from that rat's nest.

agirl_25 2 years ago

What a shame......a wonderful voice of reason, an honest and decent man is stepping down. I can't say that I blame him tho. I am amazed that he was able to endure for as long as he did. I don't know how he did it. He certainly will be missed. Goodbye, David and I wish you the very best in your work and hope that you and the family have peace and happiness. And again, thank you for all your efforts you put into the Board. How frustrating it must have been for you.

Support 2 years ago

I too hate to see Mr. David Maschke leave but the Board as a hold must realize what their role is. I think Mr. Maschke can see "the handwriting on the wall". School board members in Miller County, Sumter County, Randolph County, Atlanta Public and Clayton County refused to recognize and adhere to the role of a school board member. People think some of the things board members do is great BUT their role is not to micro-manage the school system and that's what they're doing. Their role is to set policy not tell employees what to do. The other school boards mentioned above are in trouble for micro-managing and Dougherty County School Board will be too at their next SACS visit. Mark my word.

As a forming educator, DCSS parents need to speak up and demand that school board members stop this negative behavior. Where will your children go if DCSS looses it's accrediation? Colleges don't accept students from non-accrediated school systems. Parents need to attend the board meetings and SPEAK UP before it's too late. The good thing is that the Governor has the power to remove board members if a system is put on SACS probation. This board continues to abuse their power. All board members should take a re-fresher course on their role. THEY ARE OUT OF CONTROL.