Squawk of the Day, March 31, 2012

The Department of Corrections has finally wised up by sentencing nonviolent offenders with far less incarceration time than violent offenders. It’s about time they started doing things right. I served six months for a minor marijuana possession charge while they were turning the violent offenders loose because they had no room to house them. There’s something very wrong with this scenario.

Comments

chinaberry25 2 years ago

If you believe in God and the Bible it states what should be done. A little white lie is as much of a sin as murder. And I know you are not telling the whole truth. The marijuana is part of the problem with a lot of the crimes. Without the marijuana we would have a lot fewer crimes. I lived in a time you never locked your doors and bikes could be left out for years. What has changed most. Drugs. So to me incarcerate both of you.

kingd00 2 years ago

Written like a true convict. First of all the Department of Corrections has no say so over when someone comes or goes. This is decided by either the courts or the Pardons and Parole Board. Secondly, after 34 years with the Department of Corrections there is one truth I learned. There is no such thing as Rehabilitation. You (convict) choose to stay out or come back. Nothing the DOC does will have much of an impact, other than affording the offender the opportunity to get a GED. Used to be the seats in prison school were coveted in the chain-gang, especially by those who had to go work clearing brush or harvesting cain. But since the DOC thinks money is best spent on programs (tax dollars down the drain) that don't work instead of staff with shotguns watching over details making sure they are working hard and don’t escape, lots of prisoners don't even take advantage of that. I think catch and release should be for fish, not felons. But that's just me.

Clif 2 years ago

The trouble with the war on drugs is they are fighting the wrong enemy, the supplier. The real enemy? The casual user. If every casual user would be given a 15 year mandatory sentence, to be fully served, the supplier would disappear. If all casual users knew they were facing a stiff prison sentence, you would see less fried brains from drug use. The benefit? Probably 95% less violent crimes brought about by drug use. So, less crime equals more empty jail cells.

VSU 2 years ago

Lock up both the casual users and suppliers and build more jail space.

skilletsdirt 2 years ago

"The Department of Corrections has finally wised up by sentencing nonviolent offenders with far less incarceration time than violent offenders." Uh, The Department of Corrections has nothing to do with sentencing criminals. Have you ever heard of a Judge and Jury?

justme 2 years ago

What about the prescription junkies like maybe some of you posting here. Pills for this and that and walking around in a stupor all because the DOCTOR SAID IT IS OK.

Albany has more PRESCRIPTION dope dealers than crack dealers, and your problem is you just cannot see that cause the doctors office is full of leagle junkies waiting for that script.

bubbavet 2 years ago

If the government got their share of the profits it would be legal. Hense Lottery.

coachjohnson42 2 years ago

That police video of Zimmerman getting out of a police car sure makes him look like a liar......

Sister_Ruby 2 years ago

And me walking around your neighborhood with a hoodie all up on my natural head makes me look like what what what??

You'd mos def shoot me if I hit you side the head when you weren't looking and maybe knocked you down and jumped on your a$$ and starting pounding your head on the sidewalk...........if you could shoot me........right?.

TrixibelleBento 2 years ago

What does your comment have to do with the squawk above?