Squawk of the day - May 7, 2012

"It is springtime, birds are singing, flowers are blooming, grass is growing. All my neighbors are in competition with their lawns. Whoever can do the most mowing with the loudest mower seems to be the winner."

Comments

VSU 2 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, but at least they are keeping their yards nicely mowed unlike some people who let the weeds take over and grass that is 2 feet tall. Be thankful you have neighbors that care about their lawn and how it looks.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 2 months ago

...and at least they are doing it themselves, and not hiring a lawn company that parks in the middle of the street and blocks traffic.

chinaberry25 2 years, 2 months ago

Or blown trash in the middle of the street. They do that all the time in my neighborhood like they own the street. This is lawn companies and homeowners both. Yes, my next door neighbor's parks in front of my house and stays all day.

LuLu 2 years, 2 months ago

You can't help how loud your mower is. Be thankful you live in a neighborhood with people who have pride in their homes.

ibatester 2 years, 2 months ago

Amen, shinedownfan! Why aren't tickets written for traffic obstruction! Perhaps we should all leave our vehicles parked in the road to inconvenience our neighbors just to drive home the point!

Shinedownfan 2 years, 2 months ago

I'd rather hear mowers than dogs barking ALL DAY and ALL NIGHT like the ones behind me, who live across the holding pond... three or four houses and the big dogs bark NON-STOP at each other. I can't even sit outside unless the mowers are drowning them out. Heck, I can even sit inside without the TV turned up loud! I know the owners have GOT to hear them too.

VSU 2 years, 2 months ago

I actually like to hear the roar of the lawnmowers when my neighbors are mowing their lawns, particularly when I have completed my yard, to me it is a relaxing sound.

Jimboob 2 years, 2 months ago

Boy, what a bunch of whiners... There are two vacant houses on my street. My neighbor and I mow those lawns just so things look good.

tocar 2 years, 2 months ago

What if you have neighbors who has green algae / fungus covering the vinyl siding on their home and weeds and grass have taken over the flower beds? They pay someone to mow the little bit of grass they have, but they do not pressure wash the house or clean out the flower beds. Makes us wonder what the inside looks like.

43cop 2 years, 2 months ago

Thank you VSU and LuLu for your comments. My family and I take pride in our home and yard and next door is algae, mold and fungus growing on the sides of the house. The flower beds have not been kept in at least ten (10) years and they hire a mowing service to run over the dirt in the yard every two (2) weeks. The home is just plain DIRTY and don't waste your time calling anyone from the city because they will not do anything about it. Most of our neighbors keep their homes and yards, but this one is the worst.

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 2 months ago

I live next door to one of those types of houses also. The neighbors are really nice and heck the guy mows lawns for a living and does several people's yards in the neighborhood but you have got to see their yard. It is awful!

VSU 2 years, 2 months ago

Guess he has no energy left to cut his own yard, but more likely he doesn't get paid to cut his own yard, so he neglects it.

TheBoss 2 years, 2 months ago

Its been hard to mow dirt... then you get dust... and then you have to wash the car and truck... to hell with that just stay in side and watch TV.

ibatester 2 years, 2 months ago

Perhaps the algae could be harvested as part of the President's green energy plan.

Cartman 2 years, 2 months ago

My yard looks like crap, because my tractor needs some work. My neighbors are busily making their yards pretty, so it makes my yard look even worse.

TheBoss 2 years, 2 months ago

My neighbors complain about the bathtub and toilet planters.

jglass 2 years, 2 months ago

Goodness........my husband mows 3 lawns weekly. And, it is much nicer to see a mowed yard than an unkept yard. The lawn mower noise is not an issue. (I would rather listen to a lawn mower than my Jack Russell barking and terrorizing squirrels or than listening to "booming" music going up and down the road.) In fact when our grandson hears a lawn mower, he thinks it is "poppy" out in the yard!!!

Cartman 2 years, 2 months ago

Tractor is fixed. Yard is now mowed.

Jacob 2 years, 2 months ago

Dang, yall will find something to cry about every day..