Squawk of the Day - May 9, 2012

"I went into a local store Saturday to purchase a gift. When I asked someone at the customer service desk for a box for the gift, the reply was, “If I weren’t on my break I would go to the back and look for one.” Now that’s putting the customer first."

Comments

chinaberry25 1 year, 11 months ago

Were you surprised? Stores do not cater people anymore. Just do not return there nest time. I am looking at Belks. Go look at what they have done. It is the dumping ground for winter clothes. I will never go back there again shopping. I will go to Columbus now.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 11 months ago

Kohls is the BOMB! But you need to get a Kohls charge card, you get 20, 25 and 30% off coupons (even on Levis!) to use on your total purchase. You can return stuff there even w/o a receipt! I have never been happier with any other store. Got my 30% off coupon in the mail the other day and plan on going there to buy some Levis shorts on friday.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 11 months ago

What was the company? Want to avoid it if at all possible...

tocar 1 year, 11 months ago

Most of the stores here employ personnel that do not care about the customers, and many can be so rude. I agree with chinaberry about Belks. The stores over at Lancaster Village are good to their customers. Hallmark in the mall is a nice place and Publix. Some of the other specialty shops that are independent of the mall are good to their customers. We need to be selective where we shop and support the stores that provide good customer service. Maybe the owners of the others will eventually figure it out.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 11 months ago

Customer service is ALIVE and WELL at Publix! Can't say anything bad about them either! I even asked a guy if they have to be nice to customers. It is a pleasure to shop there! I wrote a letter to the editor of the herald once about Publix, but it was not printed. I guess I should have said "the P-store beside Target" and maybe it would have been printed.

LGadson 1 year, 11 months ago

Publix is really a great market. But I do have to gave my coupons!

Oldguy 1 year, 11 months ago

I am looking for a job. What store was it so I can apply for a Customer Service job?

jglass 1 year, 11 months ago

Squawker, I would have immediately found a manager or if it was a specialty store, I would have found the owner. If it is your break time, get out of the store otherwise you had better do customer service RIGHT!!!!! Albany LACKS severely in the customer service area. They want to get paid but don't want to do their jobs!!!!!!!!!!

JR 1 year, 11 months ago

Yes, customer service is lacking in some places and that should be addressed...it is not specific to Albany, however. So much negativity by the same bunch here everyday. One of you even read this squawk (a squawk mind you) and now says I'm going to Columbus for all of your shopping. Every day its the same people who log on here to complain about something. .

justme 1 year, 11 months ago

When you pay "CHUMP CHANGE" per hour don't expect much form the employee. You only get what you pay for. To the person complaining, chill and shop elsewhere.

bubbavet 1 year, 11 months ago

That "chump" agreed to "work" for that "chump change". No respect for anything except your "entitlements"

alleebrin 1 year, 11 months ago

Albany does have a labor problem. I sure hope Olive Garden finds people who take some pride in their employment - else they won't be here for long!

jglass 1 year, 11 months ago

"CHUMP CHANGE" for a clerk........................are they to be paid as if they had a degree???

whattheheck 1 year, 11 months ago

Roger. Chumps should only get "chump change"! We are overburdened with folks that have no interest in what their job is supposed to be. However, those who manage perpetuate the problem by not insisting on a higher standard of performance.

justme 1 year, 11 months ago

Murfree and Goseer have a degree and look what the DCSS is getting for it's money.

MRKIA 1 year, 11 months ago

THAT'S A GOOD REASON TO BE GLAD THAT YOU DON'T GET MORE FOR YOUR MONEY.

VSU 1 year, 11 months ago

If I was her supervisor, she would be able to take as long a break as she wanted. Take your time looking for another job. Some people won't move a muscle unless they get paid for it....Even then they act like they don't want to do it. It's that welfare mentallity, "Why should I be working here when I could be sitting at home watching tv, having babies, draw welfare and food stamps, getting fat? Etc. Etc. Etc."

Shinedownfan 1 year, 11 months ago

Oh, VSU, I downloaded that Linkin Park song from itunes. I kept hearing the intro from it on a TNT series commercial, it was telling me to buy it so I did. The more I listen to the song it gives me hope that the CD might be good...

VSU 1 year, 11 months ago

Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope that is not the only good song on the new album.

LGadson 1 year, 11 months ago

ewww. The thought. I detest that behavior. What does God say? "A man that doesn't work, doesn't eat". That also means WOman. That's why so many people from other countries come here and prosper really well. Because where they're from, they don't have "help". If you are born with 1 leg and blind as a bat, you will sit your behind on the side of the road, selling or doing SOMETHING to feed your family. And that struggle will make ANY child thirsty enough to go get an education and do 10 times as much with a healthy mind and body. And then they in turn, take care of their parents. My grandparents were share croppers. And I would go to the field with them as a child to pick whatever. Know what that taught me? Stay my butt in school, be respectful to people, work for what you need and want. I was so tired by the end of the summer, I ended up earning a scholarship at 17. I knew then that I had to create choices for myself, or I would be tired for the rest of my life.

Outtahere 1 year, 11 months ago

So what is the excuse for the rude city employees? They don't make chump change and they represent our city, so why is it that they are allowed to be so unpleasant? Upper management is the answer! They are just as rude so making a complaint won't do any good!

About a year ago I made a few phone calls to the court house and the girl that answered the phone said two words - "Manciple Court". Not hello, how are you, my name is so and so, or how can I help you? I was appalled that someone in a professional setting like a court house would be so unprofessional. "Manciple Court". That is how she answered the phone! Man, she had a nasty attitude too! I thanked her for her time and SHE HUNG UP ON ME!! Did not even say thank you or goodbye!

VietVet1 1 year, 11 months ago

That was last year - things have changed - she's now part of management.

Cartman 1 year, 11 months ago

I went to a home improvement store Friday to buy three kitchen appliances. No other customers at the time. The appliance "manager" acted like he didn't have time for me. So I left. So many employers suffer from having "Albany attitude" employees. I did not hold it against the store, but I was not going to give this guy a commission. I returned Monday and gave someone else the easiest sale they ever handled.

jglass 1 year, 11 months ago

Outtahere, you should have asked for her name and then called back to speak to a supervisor. I work for the city and we do not all fit the same category as you have described. And, yes I work for nearly "chump change", but it is better than the unemployment benefits I was receiving and I am glad that I have a job. I strive to give 150% when it comes to customer service. And, it is so nice when someone comes to our department with a very bad attitude and leave with a smile on their faces. The public can be very difficult to deal with. However, I do not take out any frustration on customers when the customer before them was a major "pain in the drain". If you do not report how you were treated, the management cannot correct it!!!!

VSU 1 year, 11 months ago

Maybe these companies should start paying these employees like they do waitresses. If they give poor service, no tip.

firefly 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree that customer service is lacking in Albany. Everyone thinks they deserve something.