Phillips in the finals for 'American Idol'

American Idol contestant Phillip Phillips performs as a TV cameraman works from the edge of the stage during Saturday's hometown concert at Lee County High School in Leesburg.

LOS ANGELES — The tension was high Thursday night across Southwest Georgia as Phillip Phillips fans were glued to their TV sets to see if the Leesburg singer would make the "American Idol" finale.

Ryan Seacrest initially told the audience that 16-year-old Jessica Sanchez of San Diego, Calif., would compete for the show's record deal grand prize on next weeks' finale.

Phillips and top 3 finalist Joshua Ledet of Westlake, La., stood with their arms around each other waiting to hear their fate on "American Idol."

"The last contestant going to the finals is," Seacrest paused. "Phillip Phillips!"

After four months of competition and hard work, Leesburg's newest celebrity will remain on "American Idol" and perform during the show's finale.

Phillips and Sanches will face off Tuesday with the 11th season "Idol" champion crowned on Wednesday.

Phillips has never found himself at the bottom of the voting spectrum, while Sanchez was due to be eliminated during the finals' sixth round, but the judges used their one-time-only power to rescue her from elimination.

Ledet had been one of the judges's favorite finalists, earning more than a dozen standing ovations from the panel for his renditions of such songs as James Brown's "It's a Man's Man', Man's World and Bruno Mars' "Runaway Baby."

Ledet was not able to win over enough voters. He twice had appeared as a low vote getter before Thursday's dismissal.

During the results show, which featured performances from Adam Lambert and Lisa Marie Presley, Phillip received screams of adoration from the studio audience, as he has throughout the competition.

During a recap of Wednesday night's performances, mentor Jimmy Iovine had some kind words to say about Phillips' performances, especially his show-closing rendition of Bob Seger's ballad "We've Got Tonight."

"It was certainly the best performance of the night," Iovine said. "I was genuinely knocked out. There was a depth I haven't seen from him all season."

Phillips has also garnered some celebrity support. Leesburg’s first singing superstar, country singer Luke Bryan, put his support behind Phillips in a YouTube Video.

“I’ve been watching every episode,” Bryan said in the clip. “I’m pulling for you.”

The three finalists performed together in an opening number Thursday night, but did not sing individually.

Regardless of next week's results, both finalists are assured of significant financial rewards.

Although the winner is assure of a record deal, it is not uncommon for several of the Top 5 finalists to be offered record deals. The top contestants also are paid to participate in a national tour after the "Idol" winner is chosen.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Comments

TrixibelleBento 2 years, 6 months ago

Someone needs to correct this NOW. The way this is written, the reporter was expecting Joshua and Jessica to compete for the title!

VSU 2 years, 6 months ago

Guess the Herald Reporter was a disgruntled Joshua fan for getting this story wrong.

but.....

carter1971 wrote 1 day, 11 hours ago

Mark my words Finale will have Jessica and Joshua and Joshua will win it all. Jessica will not win because judges save her and America did not like that. Phillip will not win because it is time for a change and American idol will lose rating. I watch all 11 seasons I know how it works. GO JOSHUA LEDET!!!!

Mark Your Words? Still think Joshua Ledet is gonna win it all? Guess it wasn't time for a change after all. Well you were half right, Jessica will be in the finale.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 6 months ago

It's a TRAVESTY that Joshua left and Jessica stayed. There is NO COMPARISON between those two. Joshua was SO MUCH BETTER! So long, Josh. You'll do well.

agirl_25 2 years, 6 months ago

I have to agree that Josh was a much better singer than Jessica and I do believe that a lot of the reasoning in saving her weeks ago was nothing more than sentiment because her dad is going overseas. Sorry, but in these times too many people have gotten so wrapped up in this desire to show their support for the military that they feel guilty so they do everything they can, maybe even keeping the spotlight on the soldier's kid. Now remember, this is my opinion and I am entitled to it. This is a far cry from the days of Vietnam when no one gave a rat's rear about the men who were going to Vietnam or their families, or the fact that we wives had to get up at 2 AM in the morning and drag our babies out of bed and go to the flight line to meet the planes when their husbands came home after a tour of duty in SE Asia, because there were no bands to meet them and no parades. As far as Phillip goes, he won because he is good, no doubt about it. He knows how to arrange a song, to appeal to the mass audience, from 5 to 95, with his body language and his voice. He is a very gifted performer and I do hope the voters realize this and vote him as the winner. I must admit I did not care for Josh's style, I am not much for the gospel type screaming but he was much better than Jessica was in performing and singing. I do believe tho, as I said before, that the judges let personal feelings get in the way and I sincerely believe the girl's father being in the military had a lot to do with it. Am I putting down the military? Lordy no....my husband spent many proud years in the service to his country but I would not want any special favors because he was in the military. That is my take on it and I am sticking to it. So that was my first and last experience with American Idol....what a crock of crap it was...but man oh man........Phillip is really good and when he wins I hope he stays as sweet and humble as he seems....I hope he becomes the next Dave Matthews...except for the pot smoking.

tywebb 2 years, 6 months ago

i could see your point/opinion if i saw any evidence, but that's what makes it YOUR opinion. I don't think the dad in the military had anything to do with them saving her. If they were going to save someone, they had to do it before the final 5. That was only 2 weeks later, i think. I really believe that they saved her because they knew that she was better than at least half of the remaining contestants. BUT this is MY opinion. ALSO my OPINION because i don't know the kid.......might be too late for your last comment

agirl_25 2 years, 6 months ago

Appreciate your comment but I am sticking to mine....they brought it up too much...(in my opinion) about her dad being deployed to the Middle East soon. Just my feelings. And you are right....we have our opinions....it is what makes this a great way to express them without ripping out each others throats.

glennw 2 years, 6 months ago

A couple of observations. First; the mentor to each of these performers; the person who will be signing them and producing their music; the one who has no skin in the game; the one who knows music better than anyone on this forum; said Phillip Phillips won Wednesday night handily and Joshua came in second. When asked if Jessica should be in the finale, he said he could see her singing in the Grammys. In other words, read what I just said again; Jimmy, their own mentor, said Phillip and Joshua needed to be in the finale but DIDN’T say Jessica deserved to be in the finale.

Jimmy also “Phillip’s sound is becoming more and more original and less derivative of other artists.” How many times have each of you heard the Judges and Jimmy tell the singers they sounded like they were singing karaoke or needed to sound like the music was more like their own? Phillip is the ONLY artist that I recall that has ever received this compliment from Jimmy.

Finally, I have seen a lot of racist comments on boards about Jessica, including her not being “American” because she’s getting so much support from the Filipino community, and I call that as BS. On the other hand, it’s just as racist to continually belittle Phillip as a “white boy” with a guitar. He is a musician, just like Jessica. You may not like his style, but there’s no need to insult him.

VSU 2 years, 6 months ago

What is crazy is a woman in Leesburg voted 14,000+ times. I'm sorry, I want Phillip to win as much as anybody, but that is ridiculous. This is an example of what Billybob was talking about the other day about one vote per phone number. Note the votes are only votes and nat necessarily the number of people that voted for them.

agirl_25 2 years, 6 months ago

What???????????? that many times?? How could she vote that many times....she must have burned up her ISP voting on her PC that many times or her phone line. I cannot imagine anyone voting that many times. How long would that take? Took me forever just to figure out how to vote online and then I had to go to all the trouble of making a Facebook account...sheesh the things I did for Phillip.....hey a nifty title for a country song, doncha think?

VSU 2 years, 6 months ago

And another woman somewhere else did 12,000+ votes. Off the chain.

agirl_25 2 years, 6 months ago

Well he got my vote and all I got was a lousy fake Facebook account..hahahaha......so I hope he appreciated what I went thru and when he is the winner next week I hope he will remember what Gladys did for him......(fake name)....and thank her in front of all America....haahaha.....

glennw 2 years, 6 months ago

No, what's crazy is that Jessica has millions of "fans" lurking the social outlets trying to bully everyone, insulting every other singer, how to log in and call in as Americans, and then the numbers and when to call in and vote for her so they can "stuff" her ballots. They even have YouTube instructions for them how to do it...

agirl_25 2 years, 6 months ago

I guess my problem is I try to be too honest and live by the rules.....sigh. I voted the old fashioned way, one at a time, even tho it was a fake name I used on the Facebook account, I still plunked along one vote at a time. I read the page you posted in the URL. Shame on them.

Outtahere 2 years, 6 months ago

Do you think that Jessica choses her clothes or does a stylist do it for her? The reason I ask is because she is always made up to look a lot older than she is. While she's singing she looks twice her age and it's because of all the makeup and choice of clothes. If they just do a close up of her face, you can tell she is a young girl. So, do you think she is being "pushed" to look a certain way, or do you think it's her desire to look that way? I mean she is underage, but at certain times, you can't tell. Just wondering?

By the way, I think this is the reason for her being in the top two. As creepy as it is, the spotlight seems to always go to an underage girl attempting to be sexy!

agirl_25 2 years, 6 months ago

They probably have a stylist on the show......do you remember when Hilfiger tried to get Phillip to stop wearing his favored jeans and tees? He is comfortable wearing what he is comfortable in and didn't want to be dressed by a stylist. I think the others let the show's stylist dress them. I did notice that Jessica had hair extensions in once, altho she has beautiful hair anyway, because of her ethnic background...and didn't really need them, but once they had extensions to make her hair super long in the back. I doubt she is being pushed.....but remember, this is show business and she is in it to win it but seems to have an excellent family support system intact. I am sure she will be fine.

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 6 months ago

I will just be glad when I can look at the Herald and NOT see the Phillip Phillips ego trip plastered everywhere. Sick of the hype.....And before I am blasted for not liking this yokel, net everyone does....

tocar 2 years, 6 months ago

I hope that Phillip wins too. I also pray for his health issues and that his parents will see that he gets the medical treatments that are needed. I wonder if the family has any health insurance since hearing that his Dad quit his job to follow Phillip.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 6 months ago

I doubt that being a pawn shop owner comes with insurance.....unless it's a new Obama law.

AreUKiddingMe 2 years, 6 months ago

He does have two parents and the mother is employed and pretty sure that she has insurance..

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 6 months ago

abdent--dont want your sympathy but you are too busy to care for the of the family in Lee County that just buried their 14 year old son because you have misplaced your caring heart and sympathy. They need financial help with medical bills/FUNERAL bills..jealous no. Heartbroken that this yokel is being treated like a king when a CHILD is buried and its brushed aside like a gnat. Guess Lee County will want to have yard sales to pay for the kidney surgery...if you have the time during your adoration of phillips, please say a prayer for the family of the dead child...

AreUKiddingMe 2 years, 6 months ago

FlunkyMonkey... How do you know that abdent or any of the other poster on this board have not reached out financially to help the Lee County family. And if you know just a little bit about Phillip and his family they are actively involved in MissionChange, an organization that helps multitudes of needy in the Albany and Leesburg community.. This yokel as you referred to him is setting an example for the young and old alike that community is about unity not division.. And yes, I have reached out financially to help the family.

AreUKiddingMe 2 years, 6 months ago

Oh and the comment about having a yard sale to pay for the kidney surgery, I think he has made enough on American Idol to help with his medical bills.. But his mother is employed and I'm sure she has health issue.. You might want to check yourself before you go sticky that big foot in your mouth..

VSU 2 years, 6 months ago

Well FlunkyMonkey, I am for Phillip, but at the same time I respect your views as to not everyone has to like Phillip or anybody else for that matter. Anybody has the right to like or dislike as they chose. You don't have to like Phillip because he is a hometown boy, just like I don't have to like ASU because they are the hometown college. My thoughts and prayers to the family that lost their son in Lee County.

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 6 months ago

Thank you VSU--I, too, have a great deal of respect for you and your view point. I hope you succeed in all your endeavors.

VSU 2 years, 6 months ago

Thank you, mind you a lot of my view points may just be opinions and not everyone has to agree, but that is what makes the world go round. I try to respect everybody's viewpoints, even Da Corch's (coachjohnson42) viewpoints believe it or not. I don't normally agree with his viewpoints, but I respect that he has the right to express his views, but hey, everybody has to be a little different inside, that is what makes reading these posts enjoyable.