Breaking News

ASU coach Mike White resigns December 17, 2014

Squawk of the Day - May 19, 2012

"Say what you like, Phoebe Putney knows how to run a business. Joel Wernick should be the city manager for Albany."

Comments

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 7 months ago

Yep, put everybody else out of business by hook or by crook and pay off the Authorities and plan some real nice vacations for your Cronies (aka political leaders who have Decision Authority). That's the ticket!! (oh, and have some good Private Dicks who will silence the loyal opposition.........and let's don't forget the Lawyers, y'all!)

In short......It Takes Money to Break Money.

chinaberry25 2 years, 7 months ago

We would have another Chicago on our hands. Albany does not have the money to supply Wernick to fulfill his needs.

beartrap 2 years, 7 months ago

my definition of success is not having a monoply on a service people have to have and charging whatever you want to exceed the waste and extravagances of your business operation...

1d2ec 2 years, 7 months ago

Joel and the government want's to be your boss giving you LITTLE choice, Is that not another form of slavery bowing to the BOSS?

waltspecht 2 years, 7 months ago

Running what is basically a monopoly, and manipulating costs to show a fake discount to insurance companies while resulting in a heavy overcharge to the uninsured may be a good way to run a business, but it isn't exactly ethical. Nor is it fair to all your customers. However, amny face a choice of using Pheobe or traveling to another area. Plus the Businesses that utilize the hospital have been long complainers if even the discounted costs as higher than in other areas, where their other operational costs are higher. About like I had the only water, so I can make you pay what I want for it. Basically you need the water don't you? That doesn't mean it's good business, only that it is business. The right people are making money off this Hospital, so you won't see much change to accomodate the public

dingleberry 2 years, 7 months ago

Right on Walt. Like the electric company--send the bill and they will pay. Any organization that runs off of money generated through a monopolistic situation or lives off feedings from the public trough is almost without question one that will survive despite its management not because of it. US government is a good example--screwed up as Hogan's goat but still ticking since it just sends another tax bill and floats along.

skilletsdirt 2 years, 7 months ago

I lived in Albany before it became a cesspool. Why would anyone stay here? Turn off the lights and lock the door.

Jimboob 2 years, 7 months ago

Why lock the door? Anything worth anything is already gone.

agirl_25 2 years, 7 months ago

Yes, skillets, I have had enough, and have decided to go back to the farm in another county. Can't take this place anymore. I am one of the lucky ones tho, that I have this option of moving to a quiet place and have the option of choosing another hosptial. I will be smack-dab in the middle of driving to either Dothan or Albany (same distance). I will have to change only one doctor and if Palmyra goes back to being itself I will come back to my Albany doctor. I have my choice of two fine hosptials in Dothan too and members of my family have used them in the past. I won't be able to comment on the county idiots anymore or on the city buffoons I suppose but that is OK..I can still read about them. It's been fun......adios.

dingleberry 2 years, 7 months ago

Best of luck to you in living out your wise decision. Life is too short to put up with Albany.

Outtahere 2 years, 7 months ago

Can I come with you? Sounds nice!

BettyBowTie 2 years, 7 months ago

LOL, yes he could run Albany, the same way Al Capone ran Chicago! Some of these squawkers need "keepers."

benh1936 2 years, 7 months ago

If Wernick runs such a great hospital here, why did HE go to Atlanta to have HIS heart surgery? Bet you did not know that.

Cartman 2 years, 7 months ago

Joel Wernick is to Albany what Mr. Potter was to Bedford Falls. He has taken a public hospital along with taxpayer assets, and parlayed it into a personal empire. He has done it at the expense of one of the poorest Congressional districts in America. He has sucked so much money out this area that industry finds it more attractive to relocate. Yet despite widespread poverty, the Phoebe empire expands. This comment is not a disparagement against the many fine employees of the green machine who work for a living, and wouldn't chance getting caught making a cross remark about their CEO. I can't wait to see what's next? Phoebe-Chehaw Animal Hospital? Phoebe-Quarium? Phoebe-TyTy? Like many others, I go out of town for medical treatment if possible. Wernick's wealth-building enterprise has been at our expense and I won't voluntarily contribute to it.

Amazed2 2 years, 7 months ago

This is not necessarily a defense of big business and that is wha Phoebe is. But without finacial means a hospital cannot add and develop new services and levels of care. When I came to ALbany in 1978, anyone than needed cancer treatments and heart procedured for the most part were driven to Atlanta, sometimes roundtrip the same day and that is after they sat for hours in Atanta at Emory or elsewhere. All I am saying look at the big picture. Quite often people forget that. Just like Tree Huggers fighting power plants and oil drilling and refineries. I guarantee you if you turn off the electric power at the Tree Huggers house, most at least 75% or more would be on the phone immediately complaining about no air conditioning. SAme for Gas, just tell the Tree Hugger he can only have 10 gallons this month and see what you get. Riding that bicyle full time ain;t so damm much fun. SAme principa with Hospitals, yes they may seem like they are overly shrewd but without money you cannot build building and you cannot buy equipment and offer doctors opportunities. Does Phobe have room to improve most certainly I think we all do but you have to look at the big picture. Again, I am just seeing this from the perspective of seeing Phoebe 1978 and 2012. I am from Atlanta and just take a look at Grady Hospital it has been a MESS in Progress. IF you want to go to Grady instead of Phoebe them more power to you. Get in the car and drive 200 miles and get in line.

dingleberry 2 years, 7 months ago

In '78 many of the heart procedures and cancer advancements et al were not ready to move from the urban areas--money and technology weren't ready. Medicare and Medicade opened a flood gate of money and made it possible for more medical care to expand to more rural locations--at great cost to the taxpayers I made add. As with business, the medical profession has steered itself into conglomerates which seem more interested in enriching those who control the process than they are in providing care commensurate with cost.

Yes, there is certainly more medical capability in Albany but we will pay dearly for generations to come. Concerning Grady, you are correct in that it has become a financial and medical nightmare but it is more likely a matter of becoming virtually a 100 percent Medicaid or no pay of any kind facility. I would suggest that even the great Joel Wernick could not pull that facility out of the biggest loser category--clientele is the basic issue.

Cartman 2 years, 7 months ago

We're not talking about high prices - we're talking obscenely high prices. It is pathetic when people go to Emory for cardiac procedures because its cheaper.

justme 2 years, 7 months ago

Wernick, he think's he is a hot number. The boy got some chump FBI guys who leave their pistol in the bathroom, and go around scaring some doctors.

Now I wish I could express myself more colorfully for effect, however, the last time I wrote about Wernick somebody had the post deleted. I guess that when feeding at the trough you just can not please everyone. We all know who the hogs are as a great many of us at some time or another visited the trough.

Some of us sit on the poarch, sip brandy and smoke a cuban. Some of us sit on the porch and drink whiskey and smoke weed. Some of us sit on the porch and through ill fitting spectacle's fail to see the spectacle we have become.