Squawk of the Day - June 1, 2012

"I do hope that Dougherty and Lee counties turn out en masse to honor Lance Corporal Steve Sutton as his funeral procession makes it down whatever route it will be taking. People lining the sides of the roads, streets or highways waving American flags, and throwing flowers onto the processional path are one way we can show our respect."

Comments

waltspecht 1 year, 10 months ago

A squak like this shouldn't be necessary. I wonder what plan the Local Law Enforcement has in place if the Preacher from Kansas shows up?

chinaberry25 1 year, 10 months ago

Mr. Walt, are you going? There are a lot in the world going on that you have no clue about. I thought I did, for I am not young, but I was wrong. The world has no respect for themselves, so why should they care about what this young man did. Our generation was taught what was right and wrong and traditions that have been around scores of years. Not anymore. This young man had the greatest love one can give, his life. He also died for the folks in Kansas, so they can protest.

waltspecht 1 year, 10 months ago

Let me see now. I have an American Flag flying from the pole at my house, and to honor this Marine I have a Soldiers Cross (a steel cutout of one because I won't leave a weapon unattended) firmly planted in the ground near the flagpole. If I possibly can, I'll be there. What about you?

tocar 1 year, 10 months ago

Let us show our respect by committing to do our part and line both sides of the road. LC Sutton has given his all to the world and we can support the freedoms he gave for. His wife and daughter need us now to love and support them too.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 10 months ago

I've got my flags ready... gonna take my daughter with me too, like I did one other time a few years back, and parked on the side of the road...

43cop 1 year, 10 months ago

Remember those that served. ALL GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL. LC Steven Sutton gave all and it is time for Dougherty and Lee County to pull together to totally line the road from the 1st Baptist Church in Leesburg to his final resting place on this earth. If you are working, take a few hours vacation, some comp time or any time off to participate in this for this brave Marine and his family. If ajoining counties will come, please do so we can honor this Marine in the way he should be honored. His family will hopefully gain some peace in this if we all turn out with our American flags and banners so they can see that we truely do care. THANK YOU LC STEVE SUTTON. We remain free because of the sacrifice that these men make; so please remember this date that they will set very soon.

Clyde 1 year, 10 months ago

I've heard that the hurst will make two trips. From the funeral home to the church in Leesburg, and then from the church in Leesburg to Crown Hill on Dawson Rd so do you feel it would be best to wait to show our respects from the roadside on the trip to Crown Hill or both? I truly hope someone is coordinating this because this young Marine and his family deserve a huge showering of love and support from us but to be able to do it we've got to figure out a few things. I've also heard someone has created a FaceBook page to help us with new info as it comes out but I don't know the FaceBook name, I assume LCpl Steve Sutton possibly? Plus contacting the Lessburg Chamber of commerce may help. Let's do this folks. If we can do this for Phillip Phillips who is coming home surely we can do it for a young Marine who is NOT who gave all he had for our freedom.

tocar 1 year, 10 months ago

There is an article on the Channel 10 web site that says tentatively the funeral is scheduled for Wed. at 2:00. The route is stated in the article as coming from the church down US 19 to 3rd Ave., right on Dawson Rd to Crown Hill. I would think we would need to be in place before 3:00 so we will not miss. We have our flags ready.