Squawk of the day - Nov. 4, 2012

"You know there are too many commercials on TV when your one-hour show last 27 minutes. The rest is commercials."

Comments

Jimboob 1 year, 8 months ago

Who do you think pays for the production of good TV shows?

whattheheck 1 year, 8 months ago

I think it must be the same ones who pay for the production of the bad ones. Sure am glad they do since I'm not interested in directly paying for most of what is out there.

VSU 1 year, 8 months ago

You buy a DVD of the Andy Griffith show, an episode last about 25-26 minutes. You buy a DVD of According To Jim an esisode is 20-21 minutes. So most definately between the 1960's and today, you get less program and more commercials, I agree that commercials pay for production etc. but some networks are commercial overkill. I like TV Land, but they should change the name to TV Commercial Land. You watch 2 minutes of program then it's another commercial break about 5 minutes worth and most of their commercials is advertising other TV Land programming.

stc1993 1 year, 8 months ago

It's the same on most of the cable channels. Me & my wife were talking about it the other night. The History channel is one of the worst, watch 10 min of program & 5 min of commercials.

PatrickY2K 1 year, 8 months ago

Why would anyone buy a DVD of "According to Jim?"

VSU 1 year, 8 months ago

Why would anyone ask why anyone would buy a DVD of According To Jim?

Shinedownfan 1 year, 8 months ago

Get a DVR and fast forward thru the commercials like we do.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 8 months ago

My wife and I just set the DVR to record our favorite shows and skip through the commercials. Live sporting events are a different story.

chinaberry25 1 year, 8 months ago

I counted one time that they had 15 commercials each time. I do like to tape the later shows and I save 15 minutes of my life on the tube.

waltspecht 1 year, 8 months ago

The Georgia Game sure had it's share of commercials yesterday. Made the comment that to get in that many commercials, there had to be time delayed video of the game ending five minutes after it really did.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

It makes the game seem interminable when you're there. However, yesterday the TV timeouts worked to our advantage with Ole Miss' no huddle offense. It gave UGA badly needed breathers when we needed them. Fantastic game, the players got over their Gator fever after the first quarter and took control. GO DAWGS!

1d2ec 1 year, 8 months ago

Take your remote and go through all the channels and you are likely to get more commercials or infomercials than programming and you pay for the service.

erudite 1 year, 8 months ago

Have you also noticed that they are synchronized among the channels? See an ad, switch the channel, only to see another ad! Let's adopt the European model. 10 minutes of ads at end OR beginning of show and let show run right through. PBS does this.

Jimboob, WHAT good shows? There is no such thing anymore: stupid, sex, misogyny, stereotypes of beauty, race, gender, marriage, faith, etc. And people making money off being INCREDIBLY ignorant..Honey Boo-Boo, Dance Moms, Housewives of anywhere.....

TV makes it easy to hypnotize the masses...it is the new opiate, religion has lost its hold.

Jimboob 1 year, 8 months ago

The last I heard it was not mandatory to watch TV... Or go to movies or any other form of mass entertainment. TV shows are aimed at the mass market. They try to grab the most people. If you feel it is below you then you are most likely smarter than most. If that is the case then I'm sure you have better things to do with your time.

kjd 1 year, 8 months ago

Get a ROKU streamer. Commercials are short (15 to 30 sec) and very few. Get a HULU PLUS account. Shows are not real time but you can watch when you want and not all shows are on.

Witchita 1 year, 8 months ago

I'll be!!!!!! Not one dumb as a grain of sand comment from Johnson or Bubba smith about how this is Odamya doing for the good of all mankind. Does anyone know if the AH forgot to pay his bills.

VSU 1 year, 8 months ago

Let's keep it that way. The smartest comments he makes is the ones never made.