Teenage trio hits five cars

Photo by J.D. Sumner

Photo by J.D. Sumner

ALBANY, Ga. — Three boys checked out more than 70 vehicles and stole electronics, cash and a gun from the five they found to be unlocked, Dougherty County Police Department officials said.

One of the stolen electronics led to a 15-year-old boy’s downfall after the vehicles were looted during October in the Hidden Lakes subdivision, said DCP Sgt. Chad Kirkpatrick.

“We tracked one of the iPods with GPS to 1913 Coney Road on October 31,” Kirkpatrick said. “The owner then locked the iPod down by remote. When it does that it lets out a loud noise. The kid with the iPod took a hammer to it and threw it away about a block away.”

That didn’t matter, Kirkpatrick said, the police had the address and executed a search warrant the next day. They took two boys into custody and rounded up the third, a Lee County resident, police said. As a standard procedure, police do not release the names of juveniles taken into custody.

The boys admitted to smoking marijuana while they looked for unlocked cars to rob, Kirkpatrick said. Police found two iPods, about $150 in cash, a Beretta 9mm handgun, drug paraphernalia and more in a bedroom at the Coney Road home, he said.

The boys face charges of possession of a firearm by a person under the age of 18, theft by taking and entering auto. Police also found a stolen Gillionville Road sign in the bedroom.

“The boys were released to their guardians,” Kirkpatrick said. “They will go to juvenile court at a later date.”

Kirkpatrick also advised everyone to lock their vehicle doors, no matter where they park.

Comments

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

Released to their guardians, that'll teach 'em.

fcarroll 1 year, 10 months ago

Why should we have to lock our cars when they are parked in our yards. It seems the victims are always in the wrong. These "kids" acted like crimminals, send them to prison with the big kids. The parents apparently never knew or cared where they were or what they were doing. New toys in the kids rooms and none of the parents knew, what is wrong with this picture?

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

Because if you don't, people like those in this story will steal your stuff.

VietVet1 1 year, 10 months ago

Whew - glad they weren't sent to jail - might have picked up a bad habit. Poor little boys,

Thurman 1 year, 10 months ago

What happened to JTC (Juvenile Detention Center) in this case? Isn't that what JTC is for, especially when one of these charges will most likely be a felony-possession of a stolen firearm. I totally understand "VietVet's" statement.

waltspecht 1 year, 10 months ago

Hay, we, the Citizens, allow them to write the laws and interpret them how they see fit. It's our fault as to how enforcemnent must behave because we have allowed the law to stand. If you want harsher punishment, That is what your State.Representatives are all about.

TRUTH101 1 year, 10 months ago

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 10 months ago

They were 15 and you cannot publish their names when they are minors. It's illegal. But I do agree they should be in YDC and not released to their parents. If I were one of the victims I would be highly upset about how they were handed back to their parents.

spookj6 1 year, 10 months ago

You must be a mind reader. My thoughts exactly.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

Racists often do think alike. In case you hadn't noticed, when black youths that are minors who commit these same crimes or other crimes, their names, pictures was not published either and they were released to their guardians. So what is your point?

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 10 months ago

Who the heck are you calling a racist? You don't even know me. If you knew me you would know I have NEVER been a racist. VSU, I thought better of you than that... Thanks for the attack, I'll be sure to get you back later... Plus, nowhere in my statement did I make a racist remark. I believe you are the REAL racist loser amongst us.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

Is your name spookj6? And you are attacking me and I have always respected and agreed with your past comments.

Forgot to drink your morning coffee?

If your have real character, which I think you do, i will be expecting an apology soon.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 10 months ago

"Racists often do think alike" That comment sounded like it was directed at both me and Spook. I do apologize for misunderstanding your comment but you have to understand my point as well. It sounded like it was directed at both of us and not just spook.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

Obviously you don't know how this site works. If my comment was directly below spooks, it would be directed to you, but my comment was to the right of spooks comment which means it was intended for him only. Spooks comment was directed at TRUTH101 meaning he was agreeing with him, my comment was directed at Spook basically saying Spook & TRUTH101 thinks alike.

If you had read my response to jacobs comments below, you would have seen we were saying the same thing you were saying. Basically agreeing and confirming what you had already said. After saying that, it would have made zero sense to turn around and bash you and call you a racist. Think about it.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 10 months ago

I apologized to you. It was a misunderstanding. Think about it...

Jacob 1 year, 10 months ago

Truth- "Hidden Lakes....No Names released....No pictures provided.....Released to the parents....Lee County...hmmmm I wonder what ra....nevermind"

Kaos- "They were 15 and you cannot publish their names when they are minors. It's illegal."

How about an apology for that racist vitriol spewing from the hole in middle of your face, Truth? If you were white, you would be wearing sheets...

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

Just like those black thugs that were fighting and ruined the fireworks shows back in July. What were their names? What did they look like? Help me out here... Oh yeah that's right, I remember now, they were minors and the names and pictures were not published and they were sent home to their guardian. (Notice I said guardian and not guardians).

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 10 months ago

Here is a suggestion. Change the laws so thata 15 year old, even though a juvenile, their names and photos can be published. But don't stop there....publish the names and photographs of their parents/guardians,,,That way the public will know that a criminal (and breaking and entering is a crime) is in their midst and can take additional steps to protect themselves and their property.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

Better yet arrest their parents/Guardians.

Theonekid 1 year, 10 months ago

I know 2 of the boys who did this witch I can not name, I saw one of them getting arrested in the school I was in art class with. Just when they called his name he knew what was happening.