Price’s landslide larger than reported

Lane Price and Lorenzo Heard

Lane Price and Lorenzo Heard

ALBANY, Ga. — Lane Price’s overwhelming victory over the Rev. Lorenzo Heard in the Nov. 6 race for the at-large seat on the Dougherty County School Board got even larger Monday.

The Albany-Dougherty County Board of Registration and Elections met for almost two hours Monday to certify the election results. After the elections board met and considered every write-in ballot cast in the election and Elections Supervisor Ginger Nickerson’s office systematically considered each ballot cast, the final tally showed Price with 27,114 votes and Heard with 3,583.

“We want to establish parameters where if we get a name that’s anywhere near ‘Lorenzo’ or anywhere near ‘Heard’ — if there is an obvious attempt to vote (for Heard) — we will take all of those,” board member Walter Blankenship said before the process began. “If we err, we should err on the side of the voter rather than on the side of a machine.”

The certification, required by the state of Georgia, capped what Elections officials said was, for Dougherty County, “one of the most well-run elections we’ve had.”

“In preparing for the election, I told our workers to prepare for the most so that they wouldn’t have to scramble,” Nickerson said. “I think it showed that (volunteers and staff) did that. You can look at how smoothly things went Friday (Nov. 2, the last day of advance voting) when we had more than 1,000 voters come through our office and more than 800 in the Candy Room.”

Elections Board Chairman Alan Pendleton praised Nickerson, her staff and volunteers for a smoothly run process that many thought would be chaotic.

“I think if people observed what goes on in that office during the election process, they’d understand how difficult a job it is,” Pendleton said. “It’s not just counting pencils and preparing the touch screens; there are so many small details that go into it. And this is a situation where a small mistake can have a dramatic impact.”

Board member Commodore Conyers also praised the Elections staff.

“The elections superviser and her staff did a tremendous job during this election,” Conyers said. “Their advance planning and organization made the difference. People have made unfounded negative comments about our Elections office in the past, and most of them were unfair. We stand behind our folks.”

Board member Freddye Phipps was unable to attend Monday’s certification meeting, and Lonzie White, appointed by the local Democratic party, told officials he would not be a part of the process.

“We need to have that matter on the agenda for Wednesday’s board meeting,” Blankenship said.

As Nickerson read off misspelled names on write-in ballots, board members disqualified no more than a handful. Some of the ballots that were not counted included those with “Pay,” “Rev. Health,” “Rev. Halus,” “Rev. Howard,” “James Heard,” “Rev. Lorenzo,” “RN,” “THE Game,” “Willie Heard” and “Willie Nelson.”

The board allowed ballots that contained pretty much every possible misspelling of Heard’s last and first names so long as they could determine the voter’s intent was to name Heard on the ballot.

“Intent, that’s the law,” Pendleton said. “I have no problem with allowing anything that comes close to ‘Lorenzo Heard,’ so long as the voter’s intent is clear.”

Comments

Albanite 1 year, 11 months ago

Is the Herald implying that half the votes cast for Heard were unqualified? If so, do you need any more evidence of election fraud by black voters?

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 11 months ago

How do you know this "election fraud" was perpetrated by black voters?

saveourcity 1 year, 11 months ago

it appears that at least 3517 voters either: 1, Could not spell his name correctly. 2. Could not read well enough to follow instructions on how to write in a vote. Each may draw their own conclusions as to the reasons so many votes were disqualified. In the end, if really doesn't make a difference, it was a landslide any way you look at it. I wish Lane the best of luck. She is going to need it. I really, REALLY hope that she is able to help begin the rebuilding process. Her wisdom is desperately needed.

FryarTuk 1 year, 11 months ago

Ginger Nickerson and the entire stafff of the elections office and board of supervisors are incompetent and should resign. The Dougherty County Board of Commissioners should clean house. If it were not that the County Administrator's wife worked there they would.

Ginger Nickerson, the office staff and board especially Alan Pendleton are all dumb as a bunch of stumps and should be removed.

bigbob 1 year, 11 months ago

Anything close to Lorenzo or Heard was okay, You have to be very open to spelling when all these poor voters went to DCSS. What a joke .

badheavychevy 1 year, 11 months ago

I dont trust anything coming from the Dougherty County Board of Elections after hearing how they handled that Heard case. That was pathetic.

VietVet1 1 year, 11 months ago

LOL - just too funny - - sad, but funny

jglass 1 year, 11 months ago

Price won, so lets just accept that and get on with it!!!!

beenhereawhile 1 year, 11 months ago

I don't see in the article where it said how many votes were disqualified. The initial reporting was that Price won by a huge margin, and now they disqualified a few votes and the margin is even bigger. PRICE WON! Get over it.

The elections process here is so much better than a lot of other places. Considering the challenges they had, they did a great job.

rock 1 year, 11 months ago

Let's face it. Albany Georgia is a criminal town, with a criminal mentality. It starts with the Mayor and works it way down. With a demograph of 85% black, you would expect that 85% of criminal activity will be by blacks. There are a very few in Albany (balck and WhIte) that try to what is right, but they cannot because of simple overwhelming numbers. The DC school Board is incompetent, the BoE will try to dorrect the problem, but the criminal liar in charge runs interference, the police department is a joke and the PC runs interference, The Code enforcement office is a Joke and ETC. ETC. ETC. The common denominator in all this, is that they are led by Blacks. Albany will never prosper as long as a fake preacher (Heard )can disrupt the election process, when tommy postell opening says all committees in Albany need be all black, and the mayor and city manager take a coverup attitude to the wrongs of city employees. Racism is not dead, it is propagated everyday in this town by the majority of the Black population.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree, in part, with your statement on the racism issue in Albany. It extends both ways to the whites. In terms of percentages, there are just as many racist white people as black. You can see it in the posts of the "regulars" and occasional posters on this site.

Rock, I believe it was you who said that, "all black people look the same" on this site a few days ago.

VSU 1 year, 11 months ago

And it was Tommie Postell that said all white people look the same.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 11 months ago

"...there are just as many racist white people as black."

This means that if there are racist white people, then there are also racist black people. We have had this discussion before...

VSU 1 year, 11 months ago

Then why do you keep bringing it up. You sound like a broken record....

"...there are just as many racist white people as black."

"...there are just as many racist white people as black."

"...there are just as many racist white people as black."

"...there are just as many racist white people as black."

"...there are just as many racist white people as black."

"...there are just as many racist white people as black."

I think everyone gets the picture, but it is not going to change anything.

Yeah I know....

"...there are just as many racist white people as black."

"...there are just as many racist white people as black."

"...there are just as many racist white people as black."

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 11 months ago

As long as you come to terms with the fact that you are no better than those "racist blacks."

By the way, how old are you?

badheavychevy 1 year, 11 months ago

Some people don't want to hear the truth and get irritated.....

VSU 1 year, 11 months ago

Who said I was irritated? Just stating the fact that one doesn't have to keep repeating themselves over and over again, and that is the truth. If you have read it once, you have read it a thousand times, and it doesn't and will not change anything and that again is the truth.

VSU 1 year, 11 months ago

And what makes you think you are any better than the others?

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm not the one blaming all of Albany's problems on "the blacks."

What I AM doing is pointing out the fallacies in the logic of the racist white people on this site.

By the way, how old are you?

VSU 1 year, 11 months ago

And I assume by racist people you are including yourself, after all you were the one that did not believe that there were members of the black community that voted for price. How old am I? Seems like someone asked you that same question the other day.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 11 months ago

That wouldn't be racism if I did say that. Thankfully, I did not say that. I asked how old you are because you have made very immature comments on this site.

I was asked what year I graduated from SCA, and not how old I was. Based on some of the info about myself I have given, I assume the question about my graduation year was to see if that particular person knew who I was. I don't think it was to see if I was a "snot-nosed kid."

It doesn't matter if you answer my question or not. We all know you are in your 20's if not younger. You may or may not have graduated from VSU. I would wager a guess that you did not graduate from VSU. I'll bet you went to Lee County High and graduated in the 2000's. Be honest, am I right?

VSU 1 year, 11 months ago

And I have seen you make immature comments on this site, I guess that is why the other commenter asked how old you were, they seemed to think you were a 12 year old. You want to harp on immature comments why don't you address those questions to coachjohnson42 aka bubbasmithredneck along with his other characters? Don't have the balls to confront him? BTW you are way off base. I hope you don't gamble for a living.

On a side note, I don't know why you keep attacking me, I thought you were a cool guy, but I was way off base. We discussed the Braves and seemed to be on the same page for some parts, but recently you just want to be a agitator, not just me but to everybody else as if you think everything you say is right and everything everybody else is wrong, but if it makes you feel big and good then agitate away, I don't give a sh*t. You made a comment about Rock saying all black men looked alike, all I did was make a small comment about Postel said the same thing about whites, then suddenly you just want to keep attacking me because of a simple comment. If you were as mature as you seem to think you are, you could have just accepted that comment and be done with it, but for some reason it irritated the h3ll out of you, yeah, real mature guy. It's like I have told others, if you don't like what I write then don't read it plain & simple. I don't care, I really, really don't. Some people agree with my comments, some people don't. I agree with some comments made by others, and some I dis-agree. That's just the way it is. Outside of coachjohnson42 aka bubbasmithredneck and his other aliases, I pretty much respect their comments or opinions, may not always agree, but respect them just the same. You can say what you want, I really just don't give a crap. You say you own a business, why not just handle your business and stay out of mine.

VSU 1 year, 11 months ago

For the record if I did say anything to offend you in other posts, I sincerely apologize.

FryarTuk 1 year, 11 months ago

Your confusing racism with dysfunction. When whites were in majority control the malfunctioning was there too. The problem with this community and it is singularly this community is that the feudal system is in absolute control. Go to a good encyclopedia and read about the medieval feudal structure and see if you do not agree. For the relevance to our community begin with the advice of Deep Throat, "Follow the money."

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 11 months ago

I still wouldn't be shocked if Heard continues his former lawsuit or starts a new one. I think his hatred and the hatred of many of his followers and agitators will motivate further legal action.

badheavychevy 1 year, 11 months ago

Making Heard a "write in" was political death sentence in the first place...... nobody wins that kinda election...ask Ron Paul......That was the retaliation plan when he called them out for denying him on the ballot. They were like,,,,"ok, ok, ok, we were wrong for denying you in the first place, so, ummmmm, you can be a "write -in" candidate....will that make you happy?"

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 11 months ago

Heard never complied with the requirements to be an official candidate on the official ballot because he's a dumb a$$ and a racist and a hater and a leader of racists and haters..

And based on the final count, I have come to believe that there are a lot more persons of real character, integrity, and wisdom in our community that I had expected. Shame on me for thinking that beforehand........happy me now that the evidence is plain.

Brother_Love 1 year, 11 months ago

Y'all a bunch of racist fools. God is watching you. You'll get yours come judgement day. God loves all peoples.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 11 months ago

Thanks, Rev. Heard, for the feedback.