Squawk of the Day - Nov. 13

Albany area gas retailers, what is the difference between a fair price and price gouging? Macon area gas was $3.06 Sunday.

Comments

rightasrain 1 year, 11 months ago

I will never forget old man Darsey's response to that complaint a few years back when folks brought up the very same question. His response to the Albany Herald was, "If you don't like the gas prices in Albany, buy your gas out of town." Darsey hasn't received another penny from me since; I still purchase the majority of my gasoline out of town.

Bulldawg 1 year, 11 months ago

What a stupid thing to say. I am sure the rest of Darsey's statement soundd something like, we don't make that much off of the gas we sell. If there wasn't money in gas and oil distribution than Darsey, Woodall, Lanier, etc wouldn't be doing it. It just boggles me the garbage that some people say and expect others to believe them.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 11 months ago

Macon is closer to the interstate, just like Donalsonville and Blakely are... NOT!

bigbob 1 year, 11 months ago

I bought gas for $3.16 in Leesburg Sunday, went through Dawson & gas was $3.44.

badheavychevy 1 year, 11 months ago

Perry,Ga had gas for $3.07 on Saturday......

waltspecht 1 year, 11 months ago

On one of my two trips to Vermont I make each year. Gas at Sam's when I left $3.16 Gas SC $3.02, Gas Virginia $2,99, Gas Pennsylavania $3.55, Gas New York $3.84, Gas Vermont $3,77. That is over two days. Looked for lowest price every time. I guess it it what the traffic will bare,

WeAreThey 1 year, 11 months ago

Eufaula, AL on Sunday - $ 3.01 - at Murphy's.

daisymae 1 year, 11 months ago

I have said it before and will say it again....we have GREEDY, "christian" gas companies in Albany.

rightasrain 1 year, 11 months ago

I find it interesting that the "moderator" wouldn't "approve" my thoughts on this. I wasn't mean spirited or attacking, just stating an indisputable fact. Then maybe, it's because the company I mentioned, purchases advertising with the Herald. Let's see if the "censor" posts this.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 11 months ago

That will teach you to post naughty comments...lol

jglass 1 year, 11 months ago

Well, the prices were UP this morning going down Westover Blvd. Have you noticed the difference in prices of diesel at flashfoods and homerun? I was told that the fuel lines in Albany are not releasing hardly any diesel until the prices go up. Supposedly the winter prices of diesel are higher. I thought that the winter prices on fuel were cheaper. Albany is a gas gouging town. And daisymae, how do you get that the greed comes from "christian" gas companies????

FryarTuk 1 year, 11 months ago

I think everyone would like to have cheaper prices on gas, groceries, clothes as consumers. Frankly, as a business owner, I can tell you the cost of doing business in ABY is much higher than in some of the areas being identified. Our business which is family owned has to have 8 outside lights, a multi-camera surveillance system, alarms on doors, beams on HVAC units (within 12 months four 10 ton units have been hit). Utilities, alarms and insurance run close to $40,000 per year. None of my competitors in Tifton, Cordele or Valdosta have anything to compare. The closest reports about $20,000 per year, approximately 50% of my cost. And then you get to taxes which are confiscatory in this City/County. Commercial and residential property are taxed usuriously by a group that is servile to the feudal system that doubles as a democratic political control in this community. The businesses have no alternative but to pass the costs along to consumers. It is reflected in every element of commerce in this community. Hence higher gas prices.

tywebb 1 year, 11 months ago

If only more people had voted for ron paul all of this would have been fixed!

FryarTuk 1 year, 11 months ago

tywebb, you are a righteous man.

RedEric 1 year, 11 months ago

Excellent both of you. I agree with FryarTuk, competition accurately reflects the cost of doing business. Doing business in this town is expensive. Regulations sort of even out the costs town to town but almost invariably add to the cost of business. Regulation does not even out the cost of crime. Albany has the best thieves in the country. We had two white boys steal plants off of our porch while we were watching TV. When seconds count police are minutes away.

stc1993 1 year, 11 months ago

If you think gas is high in Albany go to Bainbridge it is usually 10-15 cent higher. I have bought it cheaper in Newton & Doerun cheaper than Albany.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 11 months ago

Gas prices in central Georgia are always different than sowega. The difference between the two hardly constitutes price gouging. It is simple supply and demand. People stop getting gas from high-priced gas stations and the prices will start going down. It's not rocket science.

If you are mad about how much you spend on gas then trade in your pickup truck for something with better fuel economy. Better yet, start planning your day and week around limiting your vehicle usage. Consolidate trips from your house to "town."

...but what do I know...

FryarTuk 1 year, 11 months ago

" ...but what do I know... " That remains to be seen. Supply and demand as the formula for gasoline prices is true on broader markets where wholesalers, refiners and producers are concerned but has little relevance when it settles in a specific market. The cost of business and competition drives the smaller fluctuations in pricing structures at that level. There are no differences in the supply/availability of gas in any of the cities mentioned. There is probably greater demand in Macon or Perry or Atlanta than here. The caveat would be when the supply is interrupted, say by Sandy or Katrina. Its called business and economics, bible schooler.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 11 months ago

I am a businessman like yourself, so I understand the difficulties in running a business. While there may not be any shortages affecting the supply on a regular basis, I would imagine demand has a direct influence on pricing set by the gas stations. I could be wrong, though. I can play nice, FT. No need for the hostility.

FryarTuk 1 year, 11 months ago

Don't make dumb comments in public such as " It is simple supply and demand. People stop getting gas from high-priced gas stations and the prices will start going down. It's not rocket science. " That's a condescending remark made from ignorance. Don't be a cry baby when you are called out on it. Reality is that gas prices are not just simple (I really think you meant simply) supply and demand. There's protectionism, price support, forced introduction of corn based ethanol, etc. etc. etc. There is nothing simple about it and my comment has nothing to do with hostility. You just need to think about what you write before you submit it, bible schooler.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree that my comment was condescending, but it was aimed at the squawker and not you. Don't worry I wasn't crying about supposedly being called out for an ignorant comment. I think you are confusing me with VSU on the crying, but I digress.

I agree with your statement about nothing being simple about pricing. I was wrong in saying it was "simple supply and demand," but I will not back off my statement about it not being price gouging.

The comment from me about your hostility towards me was my attempt at a cease-fire between us. We both make derogatory comments towards each other.

VSU 1 year, 11 months ago

Speaking of crying, would you like some cheese to go with your whine? Or would you like a tissue to wipe that snot off your nose?

tywebb 1 year, 11 months ago

just tell FT that you're a ron paul supporter and all will be right between you two!