0

Fire wrecks apartments on Marie Road

Albany Fire department firefighters make certain the fire at 211 Marie Road, Apt. D, is under control on Wednesday.

Albany Fire department firefighters make certain the fire at 211 Marie Road, Apt. D, is under control on Wednesday.

ALBANY, Ga. — A fire in a four-apartment, single-story, brick building started in Apartment D and severely damaged all four apartments at 211 Marie Road before noon Wednesday.

photo

Pete Skiba

Sitting in an SUV, Ronena Smith-Fedd watches with her family members as her apartment burns at 211 Marie Road.

“We got the call that smoke and flames were coming out the bedroom window,” Albany Fire Department Battalion Chief C.E. Haynes said. “When we got here, there was heavy smoke and flames.”

By 12:20 p.m., firefighters reported that no one was injured. The fire started from an electrical short, Assistant Fire Chief Allen Cravey said.

Ronena Smith-Fedd and her son, Michael Hudson, resided in the apartment where the fire started, said Smith-Fedd’s mother, Brenda Smith. They lost everything in the fire.

Family members crowded around Smith-Fedd, sitting in an SUV watching firefighters rip roofing off the apartment building and snuff out hot spots. A cousin said she would have Smith-Fedd and her son stay with her family.

Property manager Reeso Carr said that two of the apartments in the building had not been rented for a while, and a third was recently vacated. The Albany Homes complex has 151 units of less-than-modest one- and two-bedroom apartments.

One-bedroom apartments rent for $310 a month with a $100 deposit, Carr said.

“We have a new contractor, and we’re fixing the place up,” Carr added. “It will be a whole new look.”