DCSS board to meet Monday to discuss interim superintendent

ALBANY, Ga. — The Dougherty County School Board will meet Monday morning to discuss possible temporary replacements to step in for Superintendent Joshua Murfree once he leaves Dec. 18.

The meeting has been called by Board Chair Rev. James Bush and will begin at 8:30 a.m. Monday.

The board voted 4-3 Wednesday to accept an agreement between the system and Murfree that will release Murfree from his contract on Dec. 18. He will be paid through the end of the school year.

Comments

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 5 months ago

Should we grab our socks in preparation for another "divinely inspired" appointment??

MRKIA 1 year, 5 months ago

HOW ABOUT DR. CRAFT? THE LIBRARY BOARD CHAIRMAN.

big2xpapa 1 year, 5 months ago

More free bonus money for doing a crappy job.

sandtrap 1 year, 5 months ago

How about Dr. John Culbreath? He has the integrity to handle it on an interim basis.

SMHgain 1 year, 5 months ago

Great suggestion! Let's hope he is willing.

saveourcity 1 year, 5 months ago

I agree with Sandtrap....... otherwise, its an interim appointment....how bad can they screw THAT up?

Bulldawg 1 year, 5 months ago

I think that John Culbret would do a great job. Mr. Culbreth has been a superintendent before, and he knows the job.

MRKIA 1 year, 5 months ago

IF DR. CULBREATH IS AVAILIABLE I SAY GO FOR IT.

Amazed2 1 year, 5 months ago

JuneBug for DCSS Superintendent!!!! Fish for all everyday!!!!

Cartman 1 year, 5 months ago

Interim Superintendent Kenneth Goseer?

chinaberry25 1 year, 5 months ago

Dr Culbreth is a nice man and would be an excellent choice.

Amazed2 1 year, 5 months ago

Nomally you would think the assistant would take over but he is too close to #34 and his stuff. Im sure the DCSS Board will honor his $$ contract but im sure he will be allowed limited authoriry, especially check writing authorization. Maybe they can shift him down to the basement as Robert Loyds assistant.

Amazed2 1 year, 5 months ago

On a positive just maybe John Culbreath would consider a return for the balance of the year. John would restore credibility to the system. Much needed!!!

FryarTuk 1 year, 5 months ago

I vote also for Dr. C with one caveat - if the State BOE has a list of recommended retired supers that could help us sort out the disorganization of the last few years more effectively. No problems with Dr. C though.

I just remember when Henry King Stanford, retired president of Miami took the helm at UGA for a year and really helped heal a big division between the governor's office and University. His experience made a lot of difference. It would be great to have a guiding hand like that. I'm sure Dr. C could do it if all sides lend support. A lot of folks would be really upset if Mr. JuneBug and Miss Mealticket turned on him.

VSU 1 year, 5 months ago

I would vote for John Culbreath as well. Him returning as a regular Superintendant wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Oldguy 1 year, 5 months ago

I guess they will now spend thousands of tax payers dollars to have some other organization find a replacement. Then when they have a list of qualified candidates they will chose from the bottom of the list again.

Terry.Lewis 1 year, 5 months ago

I think this search will be conducted to the best of the BOE's ability. Lessons learned and whatnot ...

waltspecht 1 year, 5 months ago

Anyone with any time around this system knows the same problems were there when Culbreath and Whatley were running things. They just weren't exposed as much as this stuff has been. Even in the interem, get someone without baggage attached to this system, if you have any hope of straightening it out. That or just repeat the failure with a familular friendly face. Really, look at Randolph, he wasn't so great up there either. Just had a good PR man. That is what it took for all the past Superintendants. Putting the right spin on things and placing blame accordingly on the Parents. Never mind that the Schools are being paid to do a job, not make excuses, figure out how to manipulate the system for max funding and hire your buddys and family.

VSU 1 year, 5 months ago

Hopefully they won't waste thousands of dollars hiring a consultant to find a replacement.

Amazed2 1 year, 5 months ago

I dont think Mr. C wants a full dose again but he might very well like to pinch hit and help DCSS right the ship.

Amazed2 1 year, 5 months ago

Basically at this point I could show up and " run" it for this year. Most everything is under State DOE Mandate anyway. Hopefully, the system can find a person with lots of energy, backbone, love of children, believes in disipline and order, professional and Qualified before they actually are hired. #34 was allowed by special permission from State DOE and #34 had to basically take Remedial courses to actually meet the Minimum Qualifications. Of course the DCSS had to foot tge bill for the course work I athink.

MRKIA 1 year, 4 months ago

DR. CULBRETH IS AN OPTION AS AN INTERIM SUPER BUT AS A PERMANENT REPLACEMENT? NAAAA, HE WAS PART OF THE GOOD GOB SYSTEM THE DCSS NEEDS TO BE RID OF. STILL HE IS A CAPABLE ADMINISTRATOR AND CAN SAIL THIS SHIP UNTIL A NEW SUPER IS ON BOARD. I GUESS THAT WOULD MAKE TOO MUCH SENSE TO CONSIDER THIS AS AN OPTION FOR SOME ON THE DCSB.

Terry.Lewis 1 year, 4 months ago

From what I am hearing I don't think Culbreath would take the interim job even if offered. Just my uneducated .02 cents.

Amazed2 1 year, 4 months ago

Junebug for curriculum director. Fish Fish Fish Fish

stc1993 1 year, 4 months ago

How about David Masche as interim super? He knows a lot about what has been going on that is wrong and might try to fix it.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 4 months ago

Maschke already has a day job that actually does something.

FryarTuk 1 year, 4 months ago

David Masche is a good man but I think your tongue is in your cheek. Just get Murfree out now. Clean his desk, give him his pictures, count the pencils, inventory the furniture and computers and get his address to send his check. I'm sure the most holy right reverend doctor Anita BMW will have a job for him in her Hawkinsville establishment.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 4 months ago

I doubt she is ready to share the wealth over there with another incompetent.

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 4 months ago

Know, they need someone who looks like you, we ready to get on with educating the children, enough with the circus. Maybe we can move the circus to Lee County? what do yall think?

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 4 months ago

It's only about RACE to YOU. I don't care if they are purple polka dots as long as they are competent and actually do something to earn their salary and MANAGE the DCSS. Of course this implies that a few others will be thrown overboard. Don't make me name them again.

DaneGlesak 1 year, 4 months ago

I just hope they do not use the system or company or whatever it was they used to pick #34 as a person to even consider. Please tell me they have a better plan this time.