Squawk of the day - Nov. 19, 2012

"Michael Vick is not a quarterback, never has been and never will be a quarterback. He is a coach killer. He got Dan Reeves and Jim Mora fired in Atlanta and is about to get Andy Reid fired in Philadelphia. Flashes of brilliance, but not a quarterback."

Comments

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm surprised he has made it as long as he has. A mobile QB who takes a lot of hits is bound to get a career-ending injury sooner or later. In all fairness to Vick, he has no offensive line to protect him, and as a result most of his turnovers were not entirely his fault.

I swore I would not cheer for him after learning of his dog fighting scheme. He has served time for his crime but I still can't respect him for what he did to those animals.

FryarTuk 2 years, 1 month ago

People can have an opinion without it being hate. Vick at one time was unquestionably the most physically capable athlete on the planet. You can't put his animal torture in context with the man's ability rationally. Whether he's rehabilitated remains to be seen. He's got a little sass in his attitude but he's a hell of a lot better person than Ben Roethlisberger who was never brought to justice. As far as Vick being a coach killer and causing Reeves and Mora to lose their jobs - that's a bit dramatic but Vick's performances can be erratic.

chinaberry25 2 years, 1 month ago

I would never ever waste one moment of my life watching this person play.

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 1 month ago

Vick is a poor quarterback. Last I heard, he was blaming the press for his bad season--too many distractions. Seems to me that if he was as good a qb as HE thinks he is, the distractions (from whatever source) wouldn't matter.

Amazed2 2 years, 1 month ago

Vick was the most atheletic quarterback ever in the NFL. Unfortunately that can carry a game only so far. Its a team stratagy game and one fast guy running around in an unorganized frantic manner cannot consistently win. Just look at all gis pro records. Speak fir themselves.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

Precisely. It sorta worked in college but it didn't get VaTech a national championship and it didn't even get Vick the Heisman.

oldster 2 years, 1 month ago

Vick is not the greatest QB ever but he is certainly very good. Every football player has strengths and weaknesses, and when a QB is on a less than average team the weaknesses are magnified. There are no free rides in the NFL, if he wasn't good he would have been out of the league a long time ago.

VietVet1 2 years, 1 month ago

"Vick at one time was unquestionably the most physically capable athlete on the planet.

"Vick was the most atheletic quarterback ever in the NFL"

OK, I read my Monday morning joke of the day.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

During Vick's heyday, he was the most athletic QB and physically capable athlete. He had/has a cannon for an arm and was/is a physical specimen.The man ran a 4.36 in the 40 yard dash at his rookie mini camp, and supposedly ran it in 4.20 during college.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, like I said in my initial comment, I can't/don't respect him for what he did...

bigbob 2 years, 1 month ago

When all you have is mobility ageing will get you everytime. I don't care about race or his past mistakes but love to see him fail just because he is so arrogant.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

I didn't write this squawk but I wholeheartedly agree with it.

alleebrin 2 years, 1 month ago

Left to me, he'd still be serving time! I have much contempt for anyone abusing animals, children and seniors!! The only remorse he feels is that he got caught!

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

I always felt Vick was overrated. Sure he is a great athlete that can run and dodge and can be exciting at times. But he is a turnover machine, maybe because he has small hands and can't grip the ball good, but to be an effective quarterback you have to be a quick thinker and use good judgement. Grant it, Vick leads the league in taking hits, maybe because of a poor offensive line and doesn't leave him much time to think, but he is no where near the best quarterback in football. One person once asked "Why you keep hating on Vick? All he does is win" Let's see the Falcons were 6-12 in Vick's last 18 games with the Falcons if I am not mistaken. Vick had a losing record last year and he is 3-7 this year. That is hardly the record of a quarterback that does nothing but win.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

Good points, VSU. He is one of the those freakish athletes who is strong, touch, and quick. He just doesn't have the quick-decision making skills like a Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, or Drew Brees.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

He's praying for a busted play each and every time so he can show out.

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

Another fault of Vick is he is not a team leader, he is too quiet, no emotion. You look at the ones you mentioned Brady, Rodgers & Brees. They get fired up, in your face emotional type players that say "Let's do this, or we go down fighting" I was one of those that was real excited when the Falcons drafted him and couldn't wait to see him play, but otherall he was a disappointment, he had his moments, but I think the frustrations outweighed the excitement. Plus I felt like he stabbed Blank in the back with his dog fighting ring. Blank spent a lot of money on him and this is how Vick returned the favor. Course I am not saying Vick did this directly at Blank, but the fact is he did it.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

That's why teams should be a little more worried about drafting high-character players out of college. Sure that kid is a stud, but if he was in and out of trouble during college do you think it will change now that he is making millions?

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

Read Tony Dungee's books. He knew what he was looking for and the top quality was "Character".

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

To be an "old lady" you sure know a lot about sports. Not too many women out there like that... :)

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

Ol Sister might have been quite an athlete in her younger days.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

Lots of old ladies like sports. My favorite pro team ever was Madden's Oakland Raiders back in the 1970's. Of course I was not as old back then and I was not confined to a wheel chair at that time. And I was better looking and had some athaletic skills. But I'm smarter now and my spiritual gifting is much more developed.

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 1 month ago

You CAN be a quiet leader. Drew Brees realizes that if something goes right, it is because of his team. Every busted play is because the team as a whole made a mistake. Every record that Drew Brees has broken has been because he has a team backing him up. They rise to the top together and sink to the bottom together. This is a true leader. When Vick has a busted play, he is too quick to point the finger at everyone but himself. That is a poor leader. I love to watch Drew Brees and Matt Ryan--they are leaders because of the team. And they make watching games fun.

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

I know what you mean, with Vick It's all about me until we screw it up, then it's all you. Sometimes Vick tried to do everything himself.

rorschach 2 years, 1 month ago

Vick has had a longer and a more solid career than I thought he would have. Most NFL QB's who rely primarily on athleticism don't last quite as long. It's actually a big compliment to him to be talked about and the only QB's he's being compared to are Brees, Rodgers and Brady. Those guys will more than likely end up in the HOF.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

I think we were only comparing Vick to those three to say how he wasn't close to being in their league.

rorschach 2 years, 1 month ago

I know. But there are a lot of QB's in the NFL that fall way short of the standard set by those guys. In my opinion Vick is average as an NFL quarterback and he is fortunate to still be in the game today with all of his limitations.