Week 12 football Player of the Week Poll

ALBANY, Ga. — These are this week's nominees for the Herald's football player of the week poll. Voting is open until 5 p.m. Thursday. You can vote once per hour from any one network, i.e. home or office.

Reader poll

Week 12 Player of the Week Poll

• Jacori Taylor 6%
  • J.T. Edore 74%
  • Charles Stafford 13%
  • Shannon Saunders 7%

356 total votes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jacori Taylor

photo

Jacori Taylor

POSITION: Quarterback

SCHOOL/YR: Early County, Senior

WHY HE’S HERE: Passed for 199 yards, three touchdowns and also ran for 147 yards and a score in Early County’s upset of Bleckley County on Friday in the first round of the state playoffs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

J.T. Edore

photo

J.T. Edore

POSITION: Running back

SCHOOL/YR: Westwood, Junior

WHY HE’S HERE: Carried the ball 23 times for 227 yards and four touchdowns in an upset win vs. No. 1 seed Edmund Burke in the first round of state.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charles Stafford

photo

Charles Stafford

POSITION: Quarterback.

SCHOOL/YR: Monroe, Junior

WHY HE’S HERE: Passed for 315 yards, 3 touchdowns and also ran for a score in Monroe’s upset of state-ranked Griffin on Friday in the first round of state playoffs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shannon Saunders

photo

Shannon Saunders

POSITION: Running back

SCHOOL/YR: Westover, Junior.

WHY HE’S HERE: Rushed for 208 yards and two touchdowns on just 16 carries in the Patriots’ 26-21 first-round state playoff win Friday vs, Jonesboro.

Comments

ObjectiveEyes 1 year, 5 months ago

Its sad that the powers to be in the sports department of the Albany Herald continue to grind their ax at Deerfield-Windsor and against private schools in general. The Edore kid is a class act and deserves to be in the consideration for the player of the week. Deerfield has a high respect for our neighbors to the south.

But for a kid to not even be considered for player of the week after his performance at "The Webb" is a travesty. Lets review the performance of Kh'ron McClain.

25 Carries, 262 yards, 3 Touchdowns 2 Receptions, 73 yards, 1 Touchdown (59 yard bomb) Not to mention what he did on defense!

All this against a Tatnall Square defense that had Kh'ron's number earlier in the year. On this night he ran like a man possessed, breaking tackles running laterally and vertically like I have never seen. All that against the best linebacker in the GISA for the last 4 years, Tyler Ward. Man he was fun to watch to. Good luck to that young man in the future. He is a class act!

It would be nice for the Albany Herald to show a little class and set aside whatever bias they may have against DWS and show a little more respect for a kid that has worked his tail off for the last four years overcoming family dynamics to get back to Deerfield.

One more thing it makes good business sense!

Spike 1 year, 5 months ago

Couldn't agree more. What a shame.

ObjectiveEyes 1 year, 5 months ago

Not to take anything away from the 4 candidates. Obviously, they are deserving...

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 5 months ago

Yeah, it's just really tough to compare performance in the GISA to the GHSA. I say put the kid from DWS in the poll!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 5 months ago

It looks to me like Danny Aller has got it in for the local private schools especially Deerfield.

SylvesterJohn 1 year, 4 months ago

JT's my good friend's son, so I, as should anyone who have a connection to any of these 4 boys, take offense to the claim that JT, or any of the other three, doesn't belong up here compared to the kid from Deerfield. And, @ObjectiveEyes, don't say JT's deserving just because you "have a high respect for our neighbors to the south" in some strange display of private-school solidarity in your garbage US (meaning GISA) vs. the GHSA debate ... then suggest Khron needs to be up there over someone else.

That's both a backhanded compliment to JT (because you're only leaving him on the board due to your "high respect" for a fellow GISA school who would beat your brains in if your coach would ever schedule us) AND disrespectfull to the accomplishments of the other three young men who all had great games.

I look at this poll every week to see if JT's on it (this is his second time, btw), and I think Khron's been nominated 3 or 4 times this year already, as have kids from a lot of the other private schools. So all of you sound incredibly stupid claiming the paper has any kind of bias against private schools. Did you see the coverage they gave us the last two years when we won it all back to back? And I remember Deerfield getting the same treatment every time they put together a run in any sport, which - as we all know - they do often.

I'll admit, we haven't gotten near the coverage this year we had the last two years, even though we have had a great season since moving up to AA, but that's a topic for another day. And honestly, we've had our share, so I'm OK with the focus being put on other teams or players this year. I mean, we're not undefeated like the last two years - we've lost twice - and teams like Westover and Monroe and Early County are having great seasons (for a change), so what's fair is fair, no?

Let JT, Charles, Jacori and Shannon have their week. They earned it. And if your guy keeps putting up big numbers, I'm sure he'll be back up here soon.

ObjectiveEyes 1 year, 4 months ago

John, I'm not sure what your "beef" is. I've read your post twice and still not sure. I never suggested that Khron be "on the list" above or in place of any of the 4 nominees. I was impressed with all of their accomplishments last week. And, just for the record...Camilla is my "hometown", I attended Westwood. I know JT's parents, talk to his dad from time to time. Good folks. There was nothing "backhanded." And, if it makes you feel any better, I've voted for JT several times this week. (I think you need to check the record...don't believe Khron has been nominated this year...I could be wrong though)

SylvesterJohn 1 year, 4 months ago

My beef is that you (meaning @RealObjectiveEyes and your hanger-on clone) act like Deerfield is the only school on the planet and thus deserves more consideration than any other program. I'm not just sticking up for JT and his inclusion over Khron, but for anyone who isn't from Deerfield who reads your crybaby posts that wreaks of entitlement. Seriously, do you see OTHER schools' supporters coming on here and whining about why their kid wasn't included, despite their big game? Rarely, if ever.

You're supposed to be the cream of the crop in SWGA private-school athletics, so act like it. Don't cry sour grapes just because your guy wasn't picked when he piled up numbers against a 4-7 team, at home, that it had already beaten this season. He had a great game, no doubt, but I'm sure there's at least one or two guys every week who have great games who are left out. Deal with it.

And, yeah, you're wrong about McClain. Some fan you are. How do you not know he's been up for the award at least twice (from what I could find)?

http://www.albanyherald.com/polls/2012/sep/albany-herald-week-3-football-player-week-poll/ http://www.albanyherald.com/polls/2012/oct/week-5-player-week-poll/

I think we're done here.

ObjectiveEyes 1 year, 4 months ago

Well, I guess you told me, huh? I won't justify your rant of entitlement, crybaby, whining, sour grapes with comments. A pissing contest only results in two pairs of wet feet! But, as long as you feel better, I'm good with that! Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

Go Knights and Wildcats!

TheRealObjectiveyes 1 year, 4 months ago

While there are several good points made by the commenters, this is also a two way street.

Most outside observers view the GISA as an inferior product to GHSA. Except those coaches in the lower level of GHSA who couldn’t beat the private schools, whined to the governing body about recruitment and an uneven playing field to get the lower classification broken into a private vs. public bracket.

Of course those coaches claimed that private schools recruit and cherry pick players and have more resources. The last time I checked, the publics are funded by tax payers, the privates by tuition and donors. Who do you think has the deeper pockets? And the publics recruit too… I could list a lot of examples.

But I’ve wandered off topic. Aller Etal do seem to buy into this line of thinking and seem to over discount DWS as a quality team. Some of this frustration may be friction generated by a whining mama who wants junior’s name included in every write up. They do get that from time to time and rarely get patted on the back.

The Herald staff overall does a good job with limited resources, but the main point they may be missing is, more attention to a school that has produced a starting point guard and honor graduate at Clemson, a running back and solid student at Tech, and now a lineman who will graduate with a 3.7 gpa before moving on to Navy is not only a competitive program on the field, but is producing solid results in the classroom.

With the state of the local educational system, DWS should be given more credit for finding the balance.