0

Looking Back Nov. 25 2012

History column

Each week Albany Herald researcher Mary Braswell looks for interesting events, places and people from the past. You can contact her at (229) 888-9371 or mary.braswell@albanyherald.com.

Here is a look back at what made the news in Novembers gone by.

1894

Georgia Tech defeated the University of Georgia in the pair’s first football game, 22-6.

1911

Ground was broken for a new jail in Dougherty County. Contractors for the job, the Ittner Bros. Co., were the same that built Phoebe Putney Hospital. The job was expected to come in around $23,000 and be ready in four months.

1914

At the cost of $5,500, a new building was set to replace Albany Hardware Company on Washington Street near Pine. Cohn Bros. was expected to be completed by March 1, 1915.

Albany Realty and Investment advertised “desirable real estate” for sell. Payment could be made in cotton at 10 cents per pound.

1923

Home mail delivery began in East Albany. The territory covered included a square bound by Sylvester Road, North Broadway, Mulberry Street and Oak Street. Residents wishing to be included in the service were required to have an accessible receptacle.

1925

At the request of the Parent-Teacher Association of Monroe Street Grammar School No. 2, the Albany Board of Education renamed the school the McIntosh School. The school’s new name was in honor of the late H.M. McIntosh, longtime school board member and editor of The Albany Herald.

1938

Baconton celebrated the switch to its new dial telephone system. The hoopla included several speeches and a barbecue.

1940

State revenue agents were creeping quietly up on a moonshine operation in the western part of Dougherty County when a very large dog jumped from the underbrush and began howling. The moonshiner made a hasty getaway.

1941

Callaway’s had “the real gift for the girl who waits for you.” Lane cedar hopechests were in stock and priced at $29.95. Layaway was available.

1942

The minimum draft age was lowered from 21 to 18.

1949

The speed limit for ambulances within the city was 40 mph. The Albany City Commission Police Committee instructed the chief of police to make arrests of speeding drivers - but only after the patient was dropped off at the hospital.

Edison was thriving as Lunsford Funeral Home and West End Cash Store opened for business. Also recently completed was the complete remodeling of Z. Israel and Son Department Store.

1953

Two F-84 jets from Turner Air Force Base collided in mid-air 10 miles west of Albany off Dawson Road.

1955

A survey revealed that even a single dose of Salk polio vaccine could cut the occurrence of the paralyzing disease by between 50 and 80 percent.

Construction began on a concrete dance pavilion at Carver Park.

1957

A forestry ranger reported the siting of a UFO in northern Worth County. On duty at the fire tower, the ranger said, “The oval-shaped floating object was lighted, all lights appearing to come from the inside.” Rangers in Crisp and Dooly counties reported seeing the same thing.

1960

With an influx of state and federal funds, the Dougherty County Board of Education announced the following school improvement plans: an eight-room annex at Turner Elementary, and 11-room annex at Sylvester Road Elementary, an eight-room annex at Magnolia Elementary, a 12-room annex at East Dougherty Junior High, an eight-room annex at Jackson Heights Negro Elementary, and a new 12-room elementary school in the Radium Springs area.

1972

Fire destroyed much of a landmark school building in Worth County. An estimated $125,000 worth of damage was done to the 70-year old Sylvester Junior High which housed about 500 ninth grade students. There were no injuries.

1976

A gun battle at a local curb store left the store manager and a robbery suspect with serious injuries. A second robbery suspect was declared dead at the scene. The store manager, a former Albany Police Department officer, left the department because he was “tired of getting shot at.”

1982

St. Teresa’s Parish marked 100 years since the original dedication of the church. Construction initially began in 1859 with the exterior completion in 1861. With the outbreak of the Civil War, the interior remained unfinished and dedication was delayed until well after the conflict ended.

1986

The Judds and Lee Greenwood performed at the Albany Civic Center. Reserved seating tickets were $12.50 each.

1991

Lake Park Elementary School Principal Darlene Adams went down a slide into a pool of chocolate pudding as students watched (with delight). Adams had promised to take the pudding plunge if the school’s students read 5,000 books in six weeks. The children topped that goal by reading a grand total of 6,779 books.

1998

Opening ceremonies for the Albany Civil Rights Movement Museum were held over a six-day period. The Jubilee Celebration began with a ribbon cutting and candlelight march. The $1.25 project was funded by government grants, businesses, local agencies, churches and individuals.