Shoplifting suspect's wife: He didn't have to die

A man walks through the parking lot of the Walmart in Lithonia, Ga.,  where the day before a shoplifting suspect died after a confrontation with store employees.  DeKalb County police spokeswoman Mekka Parish said Monday the man had not been identified and police hadn't decided whether to file any charges in the Sunday incident.

A man walks through the parking lot of the Walmart in Lithonia, Ga., where the day before a shoplifting suspect died after a confrontation with store employees. DeKalb County police spokeswoman Mekka Parish said Monday the man had not been identified and police hadn't decided whether to file any charges in the Sunday incident.

ATLANTA -- The wife of a shoplifting suspect who died after he was wrestled to the ground outside a suburban Atlanta Walmart said Tuesday that store employees used too much force to subdue him.

Vidal Calloway, 37, died Sunday after he was taken down in the parking lot of a Walmart store in Lithonia and put into a choke hold by a security guard as the employees waited on authorities, according to a police report. Store workers accused Calloway, an ex-convict, of trying to steal two Blu-ray players, which also play DVDs.

"I don't think that it should've happened," Calloway's wife Fatimah Calloway said. "He didn't deserve to die over a DVD player."

About 1:30 a.m. Sunday, a store manager asked Calloway for a receipt near the door and he ran out of the store, according to the police report. The manager, Michael Burton, grabbed Calloway and slammed him down to the ground, but Calloway fought back, punching Burton in the face, neck and chest, according to the police report. The security guard, Jaiviere Pruitt, rushed Calloway and the three men fell to the ground. Pruitt put Calloway into a headlock because he was still fighting, police said.

The guard "told the suspect to tap when he can't breathe," store employee Phille Roberts, who also helped hold Calloway down, told officers, according to the police report.

Emergency medics tried to treat Calloway, but he was unresponsive. He was later pronounced dead at a hospital. Detectives were awaiting autopsy results to determine exactly how Calloway died.

Burton and Roberts have been suspended with pay and Pruitt, a contractor working security with the store, will no longer work there, according to Bentonville, Ark.,-based Wal-Mart Inc.

"Associates are trained to disengage from situations that would put themselves or others at risk," Wal-Mart Inc. spokeswoman Dianna Gee said. "That being said, this is still an active investigation and we're working with police to provide any assistance."

Calloway had a criminal record that includes shoplifting, forgery and substance abuse.

Burton and Pruitt did not return telephone calls. A phone number for Roberts could not be immediately located.

Comments

bubbavet 1 year, 8 months ago

Rodney King reincarnated.i guess if you steal long enough your ship will come in. What goes around comes around.

VSU 1 year, 8 months ago

She's right, he didn't have to die. If he hadn't of kept fighting maybe he would still be alive. Although there should have been a better way to keep him subdued other than choking him to death. I can understand making sure he didn't get away, but as she said it was just a DVD player, it's not like he just killed someone.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

Lady gone be a millionaire when the lawsuit gets settled.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

More than likely her lawyers will be a millionaire and she will end up with a structured settlement for 15 or so years getting the interest off the insurance company's escrow account. In the end the lawyer makes money, the insurance company breaks even and the family, well, if the guy had not stolen anything, just gets a few bucks and bad memories.

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 8 months ago

The real outrage is he DID NOT have to shoplift! He had no right to take something he had not earned nor paid for. The belief criminals have rights has gotten the U.S. to this point. Not until the honest people start standing for their rights and criminals are treated like criminals will this change. I say every bleeding heart that wants a easy life for a criminal should be chained to one and share their life with them. More dead criminals are the best deterrents to criminals NOT more babble from bleeding hearts. We need more heroes like this guard and the homeowner in Minn who KILLED the two teen intruders inside his own home.

waltspecht 1 year, 8 months ago

There is a big differance between a self defense shooting, and simply executing an individual. If you read the same article I did, the man administered a Coup DeGrace shot to an already down victim in both cases, and told authorities he did it. That is a long way from slef-defense.

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 8 months ago

Walt why should the home owner have to decide the difference? Thieves have not right to expect to live while in the commission of their crime. Just because the home owner did not kill with one clean kill shoot should not be held against him. The thieves came into his house knowing there maybe danger, it was their decision to put their own lives on the line. You say it was a execution I say it was a just reward in the game of risk (death) and rewards (thief of others property) that the thieves decided to play. Sad for their families but the thieves went looking for trouble NOT the home owner.

billybob 1 year, 8 months ago

The man in Minnesota shot the first intruder, placed his body on a tarp and waited for the second. He shot the second in the legs, and his rifle jammed. He then got his pistol and shot her several more times in the chest. When he pulled her to the tarp, he noticed she was still gasping for breath, so he put the pistol under her chin and shot again to give her, in his own words, "a good, clean finishing shot." He then left the bodies there until the next day before calling the police. He is a sick, sick man and if you approve of his actions, you too, are a sick individual. I am all for shooting to end the threat in a self defense situation. A teenage girl gasping for air after having been shot multiple times being shot execution style to finish her off is not self defense. The man's own words will condemn him. I hope you are woefully uninformed about what really happened otherwise you are sick and twisted.

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 8 months ago

Billy bob WELL guess what in your eyes I am sick and twisted. The home owner gave as much compassion as the thieves gave him. So maybe he was a little twisted shooting so many times, BUT just remember this. You would have NEVER heard about the twisted home owner if the thieves had NOT broken the law and entered his house to STEAL. BTW you can spread the word that I am sick and twisted if you want because I have a two shot minimum for anyone breaking into my house. They can make the choice to break-in and I can make the choice of number of shots to stop them. Risk and rewards, it is all about they risk of the reward they will get.

BTW my guns are loaded with hollow points for maximum effect. So spread the word if I am forced to protect myself I will do so and will not be calling you to make sure it meets with your approval that I just might hurt them to death.

billybob 1 year, 8 months ago

Are you saying that if you had shot an intruder and incapacited them thereby ending any threat and noticed the intruder were still alive and gasping for air, you would give them a head shot at point blank range? Would you then leave the bodies lying on a tarp in your basement for 24 hours before notifying anyone of what happened? Because that is what the man in Minnesota did by his own admission. If you would do those things, then yes, you are sick and any reasonable person would agree. That's not self defense. It stopped being self defense when the threat was ended and the point blank head shot was administered anyway.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 8 months ago

If this does happen, and you "walk the walk," I would imagine you would spend the rest of your life in prison.

I feel that by murdering that intruder you are ironically no better than they.

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 8 months ago

You get the picture BB if the first shot does not finish them, the second one will....but no I won't save them for the next day I would call 911 to come clear the mess the thieves made with all the blood they brought into my house. They made the choice to take a risk I made a choice to reward their risk. This is not a kids game we are talking about here, it is serious. Too many of you bleeding hearts are the reason we have so many REPEAT offenders. Fewer criminals = fewer crimes. In jail or dead is just the luck of the draw they have live with when they commit crimes.

billybob 1 year, 8 months ago

Now we're having an interesting dialogue. Why would you administer a point blank range execution style head shot to an incapacited, unarmed intruder? I am genuinely curious. I too believe in defending my home with my firearms. Where I disconnect with you is on executing the already incapacitated intruder who is clearly no longer a threat.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

How do you assess whether the intruder is "no longer armed" or "unarmed"? Especially when there are multiple intruders?

billybob 1 year, 8 months ago

The police report indicated both intruders were unarmed. Additionally, when the man drug the girl over to the tarp where he had put the other intruder he could see that she was unarmed and already had multiple gunshot wounds from both a rifle and handgun. When he saw she was still breathing he put pistol under her chin to give her a "nice, clean finishing shot" in his own words. To read the report, is chilling and disturbing.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

I know that you can find out they were unarmed after reading the police report.

billybob 1 year, 8 months ago

Read the rest of the comment, Sister. He dragged the girl across the basement floor, placed her on the tarp next to the body of the other intruder and then noticed she was still breathing. That's when he put the gun under her chin and pulled the trigger. He fully understood she posed no threat whatsoever when he did that. He then went about his business until the next day when he told his neighbor. The neighbor then called police. The shooter said he didn't want to disturb the police over Thanksgiving. Abytaxpayer is calling this man a hero. The authorities in Minnesota correctly disagree, as the shooter is in jail with bail set at $1 million. He may very well use an insanity defense, but he did commit murder. But again, Abytaxpayer says he's a hero. Maybe it's just me, I fail to see anything heroic about executing a burglar who is already incapacitated and not a threat in any sense of the word. In fact, I think 'coward' is a much more fitting term.

Effetecorpseofimpudentsnobs 1 year, 8 months ago

Au contraire on peu profonde! La discussion est magnifique et les plus stimulant. You are far too pedestrian too grasp it. If you don't like the program change the channel. What more germane discussion could be held for our times and culture. No matter for which side you argue.

Le journal est tres sage pour le permettre. Merci.

Amazed2 1 year, 8 months ago

Well if the courts and judicial process had kept incarcerated for previous crimes maybe he would not been out Stealing/Shoplifting from WallyMart. Also if a previous Victim had used legal deadly force he would not have been out continuing to Steal and Shoplift. Yes he did no wrong he should have been told to sit in the corner with his nose against the wall and write 1000 times I must not steal and rob.

Brother_Love 1 year, 8 months ago

Dude you are one stupid ignorant cuss. Sit in the corner, write 1000 times...c'mon man this ain't kindergarten. You're like these other witch hunting fools, just want to see a man hung.

waltspecht 1 year, 8 months ago

Bottom line, he brought it upon himself by stealing. If had simply surrendered, instead of fighting. If he hadn't done that, none of the other things would have happened. Cause and Effect. He is definately as much responsible for the outcome, as the Security Guards were.

Sixty 1 year, 8 months ago

I don't see the problem here. One less criminal with a record.

Outtahere 1 year, 8 months ago

badheavychevey - my thoughts exactly!!

RedEric 1 year, 8 months ago

She said "he didn't deserve to die over a DVD player". He died because he committed a crime, ran when confronted, resisted capture, assaulted another person etc. I took the citizens police course and during the class on deadly force one woman questioned deadly force and said 'it's only money'. I.e. why resist, just give it up. This ain't about som damn DVD player!!!!! this is about a crime where the perp became violent and had he survived this confrontation the likelyhood is that an innocent victim could have died. Killings are mostly committed by people who already have police records. Police don't prevent crimes, they solve them. The victim still has to suffer the crime.

billybob 1 year, 8 months ago

Actually, petty theft criminals are typically non-violent. The man clearly should not have been shoplifting, but I don't think it's appropriate for a Wal-Mart manager to try and detain him to the point of violence. You call the police and give them a good description. A lot of unintended consequences here. The guy was probably a deadbeat and a petty thief. I'm not for executing deadbeats and petty thiefs. Maybe that's just me. You know, us atheists aren't really as gung ho when it comes to vengeance and violent punishment as the god fearing Christians are.

VietVet1 1 year, 8 months ago

I guess she's not going to get her DVD player for Christmas.

No pity from me.

badheavychevy 1 year, 8 months ago

It is shocking to read some of your comments around here. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

Really the most shocking thing about reading these comments day in and day out is seeing people defend the guilty and attack the innocent relative to the crime that was committed. It really perplexes me!! Why would people defend the guilty? I can think of only one reason.

rorschach 1 year, 8 months ago

Our laws apply to everyone. No exceptions. It is illegal to steal but it is also illegal to kill the thief in order to apprehend him. It is illegal to break into someone's home, but it is also illegal to execute the home invader after you have ascertained that your use of deadly force is not to protect yourself or another from death or serious bodily harm. Laws were broken by all parties involved in both the shoplifting and the home burglary. In my opinion there will be a big payout by Wal-Mart over the shoplifting case but the over zealous employees probably won't go to jail because there was no intent to harm the shoplifter. The home owner will more than likely do some time because by his own admission there was malice in his intent.

Outtahere 1 year, 8 months ago

Very well put. The thief was not the only one to break the law here (Wal-Mart). From what I remember - murder is a crime as well. He should not be dead, he should be in jail.

Amazed2 1 year, 8 months ago

I guess if he robbed a bank and got a few thousand $$$ in a bag then his wife might consider that worth dying for?? A crime is a crime, resistance and fighting with security is just that. He chose to steal, shoplift, resist and fight and unfortunately he lost his life from his actions. He chose to lose over stupid theft of Dvd players. He made his bed and he died in it. Too bad he made poor decisions for himself and appatently a wife. It is ashamed but one less robber thief thug to feed

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

"He didn't have to die"........it's never the perp's fault.

Amazed2 1 year, 8 months ago

No Brotherlove this aint kindergarden thats the point I tried to make but it was apparently over your head. As far as the shoplifter thief Thug no dont want to see anyone hung Unfortunately he must have had a death wish to live the life of a Thug and Thief. As far as Im concerned he basically committed suicide. That means he killed himself by his actions just in case you dont get it.

Brother_Love 1 year, 8 months ago

I get it that you're a racist and like everybody else, you just love seeing someone killed. That man didn't kill himself, he was choked to death by security. There are ways to subdue a man without choking the life out of him. That security man should be charged with murder because that is what it was. And people like you condone that action, you make me sick. Maybe someone needs to put you into a chokehold til you can't breathe and see how you like it.

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 8 months ago

Bro You are one twisted sick human...You see race behind everything. Your problem is you defend the lawless actions chosen by someone who takes the time and effort to commit the crimes, instead you should be defending the people who are the real victims, the people who in a spur of the moment are force to react to a criminal. Black or White Criminals are low lives and do not deserve pity for a choice they planned and made happen and who pay the price for their own actions while you condemn their victims for reacting.

Brother_Love 1 year, 8 months ago

Hey Cuz, I don't condone people stealing, just saying that security man could have subdued that theif without choking the life out of him. He had 3 people holding him down. Putting him in a chokehold was a little too harsh. Send the man to prison, but don't murder them for a couple of stupid assed DVD players. c'mon man get real. DVD players can be replaced, a persons life can't. That woman should sue, and I hope she gets everything she can get, and that security guard needs to be in jail.

Cartman 1 year, 8 months ago

Play stupid games - win stupid prizes. I pray for his family.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

My cousin just texted me that Fatimah Calloway just placed her order for a custom 7-Series BMW convertible at Hank Aaron BMW in Union City, GA. She must be pretty confident about her case.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

Correction: It was that after she wins her case she would have enough money to order one. I get so confused sometimes. After all I'm just an old lady in a powered wheel chair. Apologies if anyone was confused along with me. Special thanks to Uncle Roger879 for the legal advice. Are you representing any of the DCSS crew?

saveourcity 1 year, 8 months ago

"He didn't have to die" You're right. He didn't have to steal either...........

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

Loss of life is tragic. But criminals have to understand they are placing their lives at risk when they elect to steal, rape, rob and do mayhem. The word needs to be understood that crime has a severe downside. I just wonder how much shoplifting has been a problem at that Walmart since this incident. Not a good story but a dadgummed real one.

Roger879 1 year, 8 months ago

I wonder if Ruby knows there is such a thing as cyberlibel...if not she should for I think she committed it in her earlier post about Mrs. Calloway's order for a new BMW at Hank Aaron's BMW motorcars. Is there really a cousin who texted you....is there really an order for a brand new BMW? Go to this webpage and read all about cyberlibel...yes there is such a thing:

You had better hope no one sent this page to Mrs. Calloway's attorneys, for I am sure she has some by now, or to a newspaper, say the Atlanta Constitution, so the readers can see what some people are saying, how some are libeling themselves. If I were you I think I would click the "suggest removal" quickly. I think I will e-mail Hank Aaron motors and ask them if in fact, Mrs. Calloway ordered a new BMW and tell them rumors are being spread down here in Sowega on a blog. They (and your cousin who may or may not work there) would like to know, I would think. If the cousin knows about the order then I presume the cousin works there. If it is true the cousin told you, the cousin may lose his/her job....

DaneGlesak 1 year, 8 months ago

They didn't have to kill him. They could have just made sure he was right in the middle of the crowd at the Mouiltrie Wal-Mart when they opened this past black Friday. But that would be cruel. We should all be more like bollybob and become nonviolent athiest. Just let all thieves get away freely. It will prevent all these unintended consequences. Poor guy and his wife. This is really sad.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

It's probably safe to assume they didn't intend to kill the thief just to securely hold him until the police arrived. Apparently they advised him to settle down and let them know if he was being choked. I regret his death and in the realm of justice it shall prevail. Unfortunately the lawyers are paid first - eh I meant justice comes to them first.