Braves agree to 7-year deal with CF B.J. Upton

ATLANTA -- The Atlanta Braves have reached a seven-year agreement with free agent center fielder B.J. Upton, MLB.com is reporting.

The agreement, which is pending a physical exam, would bring the right-handed power hitter to replace Michael Bourn, who played center field for Atlanta this past season.

The 28-year-old Upton, who had long been noted as the Braves' primary free agent target this off-season, batted .246 with 28 home runs in 2012 for the Tampa Bay Rays.

Comments

badheavychevy 1 year, 9 months ago

He batted .246?? and the Braves signed him to 7 years ???? Thats awful.....and a poor replacement for Micheal Bourn

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 9 months ago

He won't be a lead off hitter, obviously. He will be in the middle of the lineup replacing Chipper. Probably Jordan Schaffer or Prado in the leadoff spot.

VSU 1 year, 9 months ago

Schaffer? Is he still with the Braves? I thought they traded him to the Astros or somebody, unless I am thinking of someone else. However I looked at the Braves roster and his name is on there, unless they brought him back. I also noticed David Ross not on the roster as well. The home run totals for upton sound nice, they didn't list the RBI's. BA nothing to brag about. I don't know, I hate to lose Bourn. Might have been nice if they could of kept Bourn and maybe have Upton in Left Field. Might have been a nice outfield combo of Bourn, Upton & Heyward that would have sounded nice, but I guess they decided not to go after Bourn. Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, they moved the Houston Astros to the American League West division. I never heard any news about that. I must be way out of touch on the baseball news.

Jax 1 year, 9 months ago

Yep, they picked up Schafer off waivers after for some reason. David Ross signed with the Red Sox. The Astros are now in the AL. I hate to lose Bourn also, but he will almost definitely be signing a $100 million contract somewhere else - maybe with Washington or Philly.

VSU 1 year, 9 months ago

Yeah, The Dude filled me in. I don't know why they brought Schafer back, he did not do much when he was with us the first time and if he is waived by the Astros who had the worst record in baseball last year, well that says it all right there. I hope Bourn doesn't go to Philly or Washington. Yeah, i was shocked when I looked yesterday at Houston being in the AL West, just don't recall hearing anything about that. I guess it makes sense. You had 6 teams in the NL Central and 4 teams in the AL West.

The_Dude 1 year, 9 months ago

It was five years, but still a lot of money for a .250 hitter. He has more pop than Bourn, just as much speed and is younger, but we'll see if it pans out.

VSU 1 year, 9 months ago

Story says it's 7 years.

The_Dude 1 year, 9 months ago

It's a five-year deal. Headline is wrong. Schaffer was claimed off waivers after Houston released him. He will likely be in the minors. Ross signed with the Red Sox after they doubled his salary. McCann will miss the first few weeks of the season after surgery, but the Braves also signed Gerald Laird, who will be the catcher in April. Prado or Simmons will hit leadoff, unless the Braves sign/trade for a left fielder, which they will, who can hit leadoff. Minnesota's Span for example. The Astros announced they were moving to the AL last year. Now, you're caught up.

VSU 1 year, 9 months ago

Thanks Dude, regarding Schaffer. I thought I had it correct, but wasn't sure if I had him confused with someone else. I was looking at the roster and saw a lot of unfamiliar names on the list. Regarding the Astros, it seemed like it was low key news about them moving, I just never saw anything about it, but in the back of my mind I sort of recollect something about re-alignment, but guess I just didn't pay attention. Thanks!

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 9 months ago

Ahh, someone knows their Braves! I would like to see the Braves come to terms with Cody Ross as our left fielder since I would assume this takes away any hope of trying to get Josh Hamilton (not that we had a chance in the first place.) Since Spann was just traded to the Nats at least Bourne wont be going there (knock on wood). I really liked having a serious stolen base threat in the leadoff position and Simmons is not a threat and Prado had a career year in the SB category with 17 last year.

SS: Andrelton Simmons 3B: Martin Prado RF: Jason Heyward 1B: Freddy Freeman CF: BJ Upton LF: Cody Ross 2B: Dan Uggla C: Laird/McCann Pitcher

VSU 1 year, 9 months ago

I am having my doubts about Uggla, His numbers were off from the year before even after having that slow start in 2010. Cody Ross in LF would sound nice, but doubt it will happen, but they need a left fielder.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 9 months ago

I still like Uggla because he draws a lot of walks (most in NL), so he gets on base. He has the potential of hitting a home run each time he comes to the plate. I wish we werent paying him $13M+, but hey, we didnt know his batting average was going to tank when we traded for him.

I am more worried about McCann. I hope this past year was a fluke.