None injured in house fire started with hot grease

ALBANY, Ga. — A stovetop grease fire ignited a home at 5602 Randall Lane about 10 p.m. Wednesday, burning through more than half the house and causing nearly $40,000 in damage, an Albany Fire Department report stated.

“Other than (portable) heating fires at this time of year,” fire Chief James Carswell said, “kitchen fires are the number one cause of fires all year long.”

In firefighter language it is called “unattended cooking” when food on a stove, in an oven or any kitchen cooking appliance, starts a fire.

The report said Firefighters arrived at the fire about 10:04 p.m. to find the structure half involved. When a fire report says “involved,” it means blazing away with flames and smoke.

According to the report this is what happened next: Willie Coven and his family stood outside the home as firefighters arrived and noted that everyone was out in the yard. No rescue operation was necessary.

Firefighters rolled out hoses to carry about 600 gallons of water to quench the fire. The raging fire came under control in 16 minutes.

After firefighters performed salvage operations, the firefighters had to return to the home to make sure hot spots remained out. All fire trucks and firefighters finished up at about 2:30 a.m. Thursday.