Squawk of the Day 30 Nov 2012

"Christian would not be Christian without Christ. Just like Christmas would not be Christmas without Christ. Spell it."

Comments

waltspecht 1 year, 4 months ago

How can you equate something that lives in one's heart with the written the word? The word means nothing without the thought process. Sorry, it doesn't bother me how you spell this commercialized excuse for a Holiday. It has absolutely nothing to do with Christ anymore. Then there is Kwanza, a holiday declared to counter effect the Whiteman's holiday. If White folks had done such a thing, the outcry of prejudice would be overwhelming. Sorry, you do what you want to, but don't mistake a written wording for what should live in your heart all year.

Bulldawg 1 year, 4 months ago

I agree, Walt. People have missed the boat completely when it comes to Christmas. Jesus came to the world to save the world fom sin. Now we have people sinning by killing each other over Christmas gifts. I find this very ironic . Kwanza was started in 1966 as a feeble attempt to "create" yet another holiday to celebrate. I think that most of us can see how well Kwanza has taken off. Soon, we will be calling Christmas "festivus" so no one will be offended.

TrixibelleBento 1 year, 4 months ago

Let's start with the Airing of Grievances.

sad_for_albany 1 year, 4 months ago

And what greivances would those be?

sad_for_albany 1 year, 4 months ago

Ah. I'm not a Seinfeld fan so thanks for the info.

tywebb 1 year, 4 months ago

Festivus for the Rest of us!!!

chinaberry25 1 year, 4 months ago

You are correct. Christ would be appalled at what it is today. Greedy narcissistic behavior by spoiled adults and children. It is as unChristian as you can get. The Bible tells you by their fruits you shall know them Well there you are. Fruits can also be bad. I have seen America evolve on a downhill spiral I just wonder how far they will go.

billybob 1 year, 4 months ago

Yes! For example, in another thread, I saw good Christian folk applauding the death of a shoplifter. One even called a deranged man who is in jail for the murder of a couple of kids in Minnesota a 'hero'. What is the world coming to?

badheavychevy 1 year, 4 months ago

Dont bring Kwanza into this mess!! It has nothing to do with this weak squawk....

VSU 1 year, 4 months ago

Hey badheavychevy, you seen our buddy coachjohnson42 & bubbasmithredneck lately? I heard y'all were very close friends, so close that neither of you goes anywhere without the other. In fact, story has it y'all even wear the same clothes.

Don't worry Corch, your secret is safe with me. Oooops Sorry!

Bulldawg 1 year, 4 months ago

Looks like Da Corch, has a new screen name. Oh, did I type that out loud. :)

GeorgiaAl 1 year, 4 months ago

Xmas..... Google the word... Albert the Xian.....

Amazed2 1 year, 4 months ago

Farkas No more Happy Holiday crap please!

Bulldawg 1 year, 4 months ago

When people tell me "Happy Holidays," I simply reply, which holiday are you referring to? Then they look stunned, and I say oh, you mean merry Christmas. I cannot stand hearing happy holidays. Being PC all the time can really be worse than avoiding saying Christmas. This is America, or whats's left of it, and we say, Christmas. Sorry for the rant. I will get off my soap box now.

VSU 1 year, 4 months ago

At least when they said the town christmas tree arrived, they didn't say the town holiday tree has arrived. Right Bulldawg? It's sad that you have people like in California that went to court to keep the city from displaying the nativity scene. Merry Christmas to them too.

PatrickY2K 1 year, 4 months ago

Christ would be appalled at the Squawk Box and the hate spewed on this website every day.

Being offended that someone wished you "happy holidays?" Christmas may be your holiday, but maybe it isn't the holiday of the well-wisher, or maybe that's appropriate when addressing a large, diverse group. They aren't being hateful by wishing you to have a happy holidays, are they?

TrixibelleBento 1 year, 4 months ago

Sorry, but I'm saying a big Merry Christmas to everyone I see. If I were in Mexico, I'd say "Feliz Navidad." If I were in China, I'd say "Kung His Hsin Nien bing Chu Shen Tan." If I were in France, I'd say,"Joyeux Noël." If I lived in a part of the world where Christmas was not observed as a NATIONAL holiday, I'd do as the Romans do and follow their traditions. We have a Federal holiday for it, so sorry if I offend anyone. I'm not altering my existence just to make someone else feel better. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

PatrickY2K 1 year, 4 months ago

"I'm not altering my existence just to make someone else feel better."

How Christian of you! "Merry Christmas" are clearly just words to you.

Bulldawg 1 year, 4 months ago

Patrick, you are altering your existence to make people happy by not offfending them. The majority of the United States celebrates Christmas. I don't think you would offend someone for wishing them a Merry Christmas. Cowtowing to a minority of people who do not celebrate Christmas is just silly. I bet you don't say happy holidays on July 4th or Easter do you? So why is saying Merry Christmas different?

PatrickY2K 1 year, 4 months ago

Why do you see it as "cowtowing to the minority" when the intent is to wish everyone well? Why is it wrong to say something that addresses everyone, instead of only addressing the majority?

Bulldawg 1 year, 4 months ago

Because the MAJORITY celebrates Christmas. It's not hard to understand. When you say Merry Christmas you are addressing the majority. This is not rocket science.

PatrickY2K 1 year, 4 months ago

The minority doesn't exist? Isn't important?

Wow!

Bulldawg 1 year, 4 months ago

Of course the minority exists. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a majority. I think you need to put your brain in gear before you type. Give me a break. I never said the minority was not important.

tywebb 1 year, 4 months ago

i'll say it.....the minority is not important

sad_for_albany 1 year, 4 months ago

We have been a large diverse group for 237 years Patrick. it is only in the last generation or so that Christmas has become offensive to a select few who want to gripe and cry all the while participating in what now passes as Christmas. Doubt any of the non-Christian people stay home on black friday when they start having the "Christmas" sales.

PatrickY2K 1 year, 4 months ago

I don't know of any non-Christians who get offended from hearing "Merry Christmas," but if there's a greeting that will address everyone (again, it's a positive statement), why not use it? Faux News tries to scare its viewers about lots of things, and the made-up "War on Christmas" is one of them.

My holiday experience is not defined by the WG&L tree or by any Walmart greeter, so wish me a "Happy Holidays" - they aren't the fighting words!

tywebb 1 year, 4 months ago

"faux news" didn't try to scare people by making up the war on women....that came from the idiots on the other side. don't blame a station for pointing out obvious stuff. Is merry christmas fighting words for you? The ONLY reason for the "holiday" season is christmas.

PatrickY2K 1 year, 4 months ago

It's funny that it's the people concerned about taking the "Christ" out of Christmas who list "Black Friday" as part of their Christmas experience - like the non-Christians are picking and choosing which parts of Christmas to celebrate. We have many Christmas traditions that have nothing to do with the religious experience...like having a parade celebrating Santa Claus, and decorating a big tree!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 4 months ago

As the old song says (Carlton Fletcher don't know this one.....)

Santa Claus is commin' and the kids are gettin' greedy It's Christmas time They know what's in the story 'cause they seen it on the TV It's Christmas time, it's Christmas time It used to be the birthday of the Man who saved our necks It's Christmas time Now it stands for Santa Claus they spell it with an X It's Christmas time, it's Christmas time Woah it's Christmas time Oh woah oh baby Oh woah oh woah it's Christmas time Oh yeah baby I said Yeah Yeah Yeah... You go into the forest and you cut down all the trees It's Christmas time I know you got a power saw but who plants the seeds? It's Christmas time, it's Christmas time I gotta buy a present can't remember who it's for It's Christmas time I 'll see you in a hour when I get back from the store It's Christmas time, it's Christmas time

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 4 months ago

Or this one from Jethro Tull

Once in Royal David's City stood a lonely cattle shed, Where a mother held her baby. You'd do well to remember the things He later said. When you're stuffing yourselves at the Christmas parties, You'll just laugh when I tell you to take a running jump. You're missing the point I'm sure does not need making That Christmas spirit is not what you drink.

So how can you laugh when your own mother's hungry, And how can you smile when the reasons for smiling are wrong? And if I just messed up your thoughtless pleasures, Remember, if you wish, this is just a Christmas song.

(Hey! Santa! Pass us that bottle, will you?)

1d2ec 1 year, 4 months ago

Lets celebrate Christmas in June and let the world have December..

alleebrin 1 year, 4 months ago

Why do folks go so out of their way to impose their beliefs on other people? Why does it take dancing on a soapbox to make them feel good about themselves? People are very strange!!

Bulldawg 1 year, 4 months ago

Just like Jim Morrison said "People are strange when you're a stranger."

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 4 months ago

But I will have to say, Squawker, that I've seen lots of things with the word "Christian" attached to it that had nothing to do with Christ except to co-opt His name to make a few bucks.

Bulldawg 1 year, 4 months ago

You are right about that, Sister Ruby. Look at all of the "reverands" that we have here in Albany that are out for their own personal gain by hiding behind their cloak of religion.

billybob 1 year, 4 months ago

I am not a Christian, and I am not offender by either 'Merry Christmas' or 'Happy Holidays'. In fact, I don't think I'd mind if someone threw a 'Happy Hannukah' my way. In fact, I really like the Adam Sandler song; it's one of my holiday favorites. Cheers.

FryarTuk 1 year, 4 months ago

billy, some time I think you got the makings of fine fellow.

Jimboob 1 year, 4 months ago

“If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it.”

VSU 1 year, 4 months ago

Helping the poor, elderly and handicapped is one thing, helping those that are too lazy to work is another.

Spike 1 year, 4 months ago

Ignorance... Using X for XMas as an abbreviation for Christmas has been around for at least 1,000 years. What's funny is that the X is Greek for Chi (the first letter of the Greek word for Christ) In fact one of the earliest christograms used to identify Christians was XP (Chi Rho). An educated Christian isn't insulted by this abbreviation nor should we be insulted by the knucklehead who decides to tell us Happy Holidays thinking they've somehow changed the meaning. Ironically saying Happy Holidays is the same as saying Happy Holy day. So the idiot who thinks they are taking Christ out of Christmas by wishing me a Happy Holy day is doing nothing of the sort and just showing his/her ignorance. Likewise those of my fellow Christians who want to believe the myth and promulgate X'mas as some sort of conspiracy to remove Christ from Christmas show theirs.

Commercialization on the other hand does water down the event but in the end the reasons for celebrating Christmas comes from within and if you are a believer than it's all about Christ no matter what anyone says or does. Only God can convert so why get upset when someone who's lost can't figure that out? ........So Merry Christmas, Happy Holy Day, Happy X'mas. Happy XP Day! ;-) Jesus loves you!

FryarTuk 1 year, 4 months ago

" Merry Crimmus! "That's what the customers say as I take their money and put it in my register . And I say back, " Merry Crimmus to you to and thank you for coming in today. I enjoyed serving you. Please come back now, ya heah? " Merry XP-mas to all of you.

erudite 1 year, 4 months ago

If you take the time to research the holiday, you will find that it was not until 200's that Christians wanted a holiday. It was not an official holiday in the US until the late 1800's.

You have to believe the story to believe the holiday.