Banners make election point with SEALS, guns

A banner is posted in front of Richard Thomas’ business on Dawson Road Tuesday. The banner has received negative attention from those who say it is a threat to President Obama.

ALBANY, Ga. — Next to the pictures of two heavily armed Navy SEALS, the phrase, "The seals removed one threat to America, remove the other in November" is emblazoned on banners where drivers on Dawson Road can't miss them.

Richard Thomas, president of Corporate & Estate Analysts at 1930 Dawson Road, said the banners at his location are to encourage citizens to vote in November.

"Actually, I don't care who they vote for, just as long as they get off their butts and vote. I'm an independent, and I'd like to see him (Obama) defeated," Thomas said. "The Obama administration has set our foreign policy back by years. Navy SEALS put their lives on the line, and they deserve good leadership."

As far as interpreting the banners as threats against Obama's life, Thomas rejected the idea as outrageous. He said he does not compare Obama with Osama bin Laden by putting up the banners at his business.

Thomas said he was careful to make sure that his banners were not in the right-of-way and conformed to city ordinances.

"Code Enforcement came out and said I needed a permit," Thomas said. "They want to charge me $30 a sign."

City Attorney Nathan Davis and Code Enforcement officers could not be reached after 5 p.m. for information about the banners and permits.

A Google search turned up the same style of signs in other states, including Texas and Indiana. As far as the possibility that the signs threaten the president, the Secret Service in Washington, D.C., stated agents were aware of the banners.

Secret Service spokesman Max Milien said, "We are aware of the situation, and we will take any and all appropriate follow-up, if necessary."

Comments

southwestga 1 year, 10 months ago

Thomas is outrageous. These signs clearly suggest that our own armed forces assassinate our President. Maybe it's possible to get drunk on Tea.

gotanyfacts 1 year, 10 months ago

Like an ink blot, what you want to see.

terihdfxr1 1 year, 10 months ago

What a clown. Just becouse you do not agree you need to make this out to be something it clearly is not. Cry discrimination next. So sick of all the cry babies in this town, I fully agree with this sign. Obama and his administration is a threat to me, and he needs to get out of office the sooner the better.

tywebb 1 year, 10 months ago

If that's what you see, then you're the outrageous one! It's telling people to vote against obumma in november. It's not saying the Seals should assisinate him! I think you're the drunk one......on the kool-aid!

fatdaddygamer 1 year, 9 months ago

HOW IN THE HECK CAN YOU SAY THAT? ALL IT'S SAYING IS TO VOTE OUT OBAMA. YOU MUST BE A DEMOCRATIC? CAUSE ONLY A DEMOCRATIC WOULD SEE SOMETHING LIKE THAT.

TrixibelleBento 1 year, 10 months ago

I never once considered this a threat on the President. The SEALS refer to the OBL mission, not an assassination suggestion. Obama needs to get back into Chicago politics where he can again be a Community Organizer. The President is not an adequate Nation Organizer.

Martian 1 year, 10 months ago

I believe the context for the sign is this: a group of retired special operations people have formed a PAC to oppose President Obama. They are upset about White House leaks, which they contend put the lives of special operators in danger. They claim the leaks were allowed for political purposes - to enhance the president's appeal with voters. As I see it, they are exercising their legal right to campaign for someone else.

waltspecht 1 year, 10 months ago

I believe the SEAL's would have preferred to stay out of this spotlight. Regardless of the expressed opinions of former SEAL's, the active duty ones still have a Commander in Chief and respect the position if not the individual.

VietVet1 1 year, 10 months ago

Two thumbs up! We need to vote for LEADERSHIP this November and put Mitt in office.

DoctorDorite 1 year, 10 months ago

I don't get the citys code enforcement wanting to charge $30 for a permit ??? will a Romney sign cost me the same if I place it in my yard ? or Obammy ? Looks like freedom of speech and expression are long gone in America, sad.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

I read the sign and immediately knew it meant to vote out Obuma and not assassinate him.

I find it funny that Thomas said "I don't care who they vote for as just as long as they go out and vote" but then he said he hopes they vote Obama out.

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 10 months ago

O NO Richard you failed to bow at the alter of Judy Bowles. ONLY POLITICIANS WHO BOW TO Judy can clutter Albany with their political signs and banners. Working citizens are NOT pemitted to speak unless you bow to the "Leadership" of Albany. You sir must be punished because you have dared to speak out against Albany’s Politics in the past and NOW how dare you speak up as a TAX paying citizen.

coachjohnson42 1 year, 9 months ago

Only in backwards Albany can you get away with this type anti-human politics. But Albany is so screwed up, they dont even understand the message behind the sign. I say, if Albany is weak enough to let this man get away with posting a sign like that then they deserve what they get. I cannot defend the weak.......so let it ride...