People responsible for their own protection

Letter to the editor

Horror stories and commentary aside, you are responsible for your welfare and the welfare of those close to you. Many years ago, two young ladies called for help from the police in Washington, D.C. The police took so long to arrive, both were raped and the attacker gone by the time police arrived. They attempted to sue the city for failing to protect them. That is when the courts ruled it wasn’t the city’s duty to protect its citizens, but the duty of the citizens themselves.

If more people fully understood this, there would be more guns and people trained in their use. For what could a 65-year-old, overweight and mildly handicaped individual hope to do to protect themselves from a 20-year -old? The only solution I see that is practical and immediate is reach for that comforting weight up behind that sore right hip. You say there are laws, use them. Laws are only followed by the law abiding, not the criminal element. Many laws were passed to handicap the lawful citizens’ ability to protect themselves.

The famous Sullivan Law of New York City was passed by Tammany Hall Politicians to protect their strong-arm associates who were getting shot while trying to extort money from shopkeepers. Is that the law you refer to? One of the many things that makes Georgia great is its approach to believing its citizens are trustworthy until proven opposite. You can get a CCW and carry a weapon. You can purchase a Class III (machinegun, submachinegun, sawed-off shotgun or suppressor) if you follow the federal requirements. For we do not fear our lawful citizens as Chicago and Washington, D.C., apparently do. So, remember just who really has to provide you and your family protection and act accordingly.

WALT SPECHT

Leesburg

Comments

MRKIA 2 years ago

WALT, I HAVE IN PLACE A FULLY FUNCTIONAL LEGAL SYSTEM BUT IT'S JURISDICTION IS LIMITED TO THE PROPERTY I OWN AS WELL AS WHEREVER I'M STANDING AT ANY GIVEN MOMENT. VIOLATE MY SPACE AND THE VIOLATOR WILL BE VIOLATED. SIMPLE.

ObjectiveEyes 2 years ago

I agree, Walt, that's why "the judge" always rides with me, wherever I go!

Nous_Defions 2 years ago

Walt,

You are so correct, the case in DC was Warren v. District of Columbia (1977), and I find it ironic that DC banned the possesion of firearms the next year, 1978. It took the Heller v DC SCOTUS decision to overturn it.

The last 2 generations have abandoned their freedoms and individualism to the State, and look to Washington to protect them from crime, drugs, secondhand smoke, and the church. A sorry sad state of affairs indeed.

QUIK 2 years ago

Walt, the headline threw me off for a moment. When wondering why DC and other like cities bans firearms, you will just have to live there to understand. Georgia is great for you and it's not important enough for you and others to understand a region or country that differs on this subject (and visa versa). On government protection as a whole we DO depend on government for our protection even greater these days as the world has become more dangerous than any 20 year old holding a pistol. Government protects our water source, air, seas, food supply, builds flood dams, responds to disasters and enters wars for our protection. We can beat on our chest when we take down a small time crinminal but just not too hard.

cfcarroll64 2 years ago

It has been proven time and again in the past year alone that we as citizens that work and pay taxes have to protect ourselves and property. We can not stand by any longer and let the non-working class take what we have worked so hard for. I too, have my "justice" close at hand.

Oldguy 2 years ago

I have a carry permit and I do have a S&W with me at all times. I have a 12 gauge riot gun next to my bed loaded with 7 rounds of OO buck shot with one in the chamnber. There are several other firearms located around my residense that are easily available. When watching TV there is a 357 magnum on the table next to me. I am an excellent marksman and will shoot to kill if the ocassion arisses. God forbid that I ever need to use them, but I will not be killed by some punk in my home or anywhere else without fight.

QUIK 2 years ago

For our children, grand children that are unarmed at the parks, schools, churches, colleges, supermarket, airport or on a cruise we have governments protecting them since we can't be everywhere for all those we love. Thank you federal, state and local government.