Albany 2nd highest city with ‘most pirated songs’

In a recent report released by U.K.-based MusicMetrics, the Albany, Ga., metro area had the second-highest number of illegally downloaded songs per capita.

ALBANY, Ga. — A report released last month by a UK-based company that follows digital downloads shows that, per capita, the Albany Metro area is the second worst offender when it comes to illegal downloads of music.

The report by MusicMetrics shows that residents within the metro Albany area illegally downloaded or pirated 194,373 songs during the survey period from music downloading programs connected to the Internet.

That number is good enough to put Albany at the No. 2 spot on the list of the worst downloading offenders, behind only Gainesville, Fla. The top five also includes Fairbanks, Alaska, Lexington, Ky., and Tallahassee, Fla. Macon, Georgia’s second worst offender per capita, came in at No. 6 on the list.

Atlanta was the only other Georgia metro area to crack the top 20. It landed at No. 10 on the list.

Georgia was the top state in terms of illegally downloaded songs per capita, followed by New York, Kentucky, Louisiana and Florida.

According to MusicMetrics, the most downloaded releases were Lil Wayne and Drake’s “The Motto” — 438,038 downloads — Drake’s “Take Care” — 453,933 — Jay-Z and Kanye West’s “Watch The Throne” — 365,987 — Big Sean’s “Finally Famous” — 352,623 — and Tyga’s “Rack City” — 304,292.

“America has millions of passionate music fans — and while we don’t condone any kind of piracy – the DMI provides a detailed snapshot of the scale of file-sharing as well as licensed music consumption,” said Gregory Mead, global CEO of Musicmetric.

“Detailed data analysis is of great value to the industry and just as retailers need to know their customers, we need to do the same online. Offering people better insight into music through the DMI will help the industry begin to reclaim its past glories and we’re excited about working with labels to achieve this.”

Comments

whattheheck 1 year, 6 months ago

Albany, always in the top ten list of things negative or illegal, Perhaps things will improve now that Pitman the Patch-eyed Pirate has been caught and gone to the nick for a while.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 6 months ago

None of those "songs" are on my iPod.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 6 months ago

I wonder if they are on Obama's iPod...

VSU 1 year, 6 months ago

No surprise there, people are going around selling cd's & DVD's from these illegal downloads. People wonder why we criticize Albany, because everything around here is in the negative, school board a joke, school system a joke, city commission a joke. Top 10 in poverty and poorest cities, now top 10 in illegal downloads.

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 6 months ago

VSU PLEASE don’t sell Albany short. Albany was #2 for stealing. More proof in Albany if you want it you get it, No Matter who had to work for it, you are entitled to it for FREE.

Jacob 1 year, 6 months ago

serioiusly, though, considering the value of the "music" that was stolen, mehhh...

Engineer 1 year, 6 months ago

Any use of the word "music", for the above listed tracks, is very loose.

dmyers80 1 year, 6 months ago

This doesnt surprise me at all... there are stores in Albany that only sell copied cds and dvds.

Albanite 1 year, 6 months ago

Remember people, its not color - its culture.

beenhereawhile 1 year, 6 months ago

Well now no one can complain about people not having access to computers, because you need computer to download from internet. I doubt you can do that on the library computers.

And the illegal CD copies being sold don't even count, because you download once, then burn lots of CDs

terihdfxr1 1 year, 6 months ago

They were downloaded on The free Obama phones. Lol

Despite the fact that Georgia has one of the strongest, most diversified economies in the south, nearly 800,000 of the state’s residents are eligible, but do not take advantage of the Lifeline phone service, which provide them with a free cell phone from the government

Cartman 1 year, 6 months ago

We're #2 - But We Try Harder!

TheBoss 1 year, 6 months ago

How do you think Obama got them on his Ipod?

TrixibelleBento 1 year, 6 months ago

...and the hits just keep on coming! Way to go!

I pay for all my music so I don't have to look over my shoulder. Someone has to pay, similar to taxes. I pay for mine so you don't have to. lol

RedEric 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't like digital music. I still like the analog from vinyl. I Agee with many above, why pay for noise?

ontario1966 1 year, 6 months ago

Just go to the Kitty Flee Market, it all done right in front of your eyes! Hell I have seen a deputy sheriff over there and nothing was done? So I can see why Albany is #2? But I have all the faith in the world that Albany will rank #1 very soon. Way to go Good Life City, what a way to be noticed!! Ooh and I pay for all my music through ITunes!!

TRUTH101 1 year, 6 months ago

This is what we are concerned about.....smh

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 6 months ago

Hmmm did anyone else notice NOT one of the artist playing this weekend at the Throwdown were listed as artist who's fan's steal from them?

Amazed2 1 year, 6 months ago

Well it is Free City. The Capitol of the South in Free Government Programs so I would expect nothing else. A select majority has the give me give me it sposed to be free mentality. Welcomes to Albany.