Squawk of the day - Oct. 11, 2012

"Kyle Petty on NASCAR Raceday said racing isn't about the fans, even if they bought $200 tickets. Someone should tell the idiot that if it weren’t for the fans there wouldn't be any NASCAR racing."

Comments

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm pretty sure there would still be racing without the fans in the stands. The cars might not be as expensive, but there would be racing. People race at red lights for free against complete strangers with no one watching. The need to feel superior to your fellow competitor will always be there.

I consider myself a sports enthusiast, but I never got the appeal of racing of any type. it's a real struggle for me to see sitting behind a wheel a driving a fast car a sport. It's more like a Non-Athletic-Sport-Concerning-All-Rednecks.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

Round and round in circles they go, where they stop nobody knows. whether they win or whether they lose, this has always been a sport that makes me want to take a snooze.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 10 months ago

How I miss the good ole days of NASCARl you know, WINSTON Cup racing. The California yuppies have ruined it. Miss the Allisons, Cale Yarborough, Richard Petty, Neal Bonnet, etc. Don't even watch anymore...too many egos and stupid comments.

bigbob 1 year, 10 months ago

NASCAR drivers are a bunch of crybabys now days, you are right the good old days were much better. The tracks are so wide now the only way there would be close racing is if they raced the haulers.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 10 months ago

OMG! the Crybabies are in the NFL! show me the money! I used to LOVE sports... football, baseball and basketball, had my favorite teams and players. When I lived in ATL I went to many games in ATL/Fulton Co. Stadium and the Omni. Now after all the strikes and the "pay me, pay me" attitude, I hardly ever watch sports now... except for the X-Games!

FryarTuk 1 year, 10 months ago

It's all about the money. No fans, no tv, no endorsements, no money, no NASCAR. The squawker is right.

chinaberry25 1 year, 10 months ago

No, it is like anything else in USA, it is all about the money. Of course their pocketbooks would be empty, but they do it for the attention. People have raced for years, but just look at their suits, plastered with endorsements. Mostly for the dough.

RedEric 1 year, 10 months ago

Football, basketball, baseball, etc are games. Racing is a sport, a blood sport. Safety inovations of the last few decades have made it less so. Technology, especially aerodynamics, have made racing boring. When F1 cars and Indy cars more closely resembled cigars instead of upside down airplanes and stock cars actually were modified stock cars, it was much more fun.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 10 months ago

You need to stick to the non-sports related squawks.

sport/spôrt/ Noun:
An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

RedEric 1 year, 10 months ago

So the Olympic Games should be renamed the Olympic Sports?

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 10 months ago

Apples to Oranges. Please stick to non-sports.

At the Olympics, the GAME is when the athletes, who are skilled in their respective SPORTS, compete for medals.

Baseball is a sport. When the opposing teams compete against each other it is a game AKA a sporting event.

coachjohnson42 1 year, 10 months ago

NASCAR RACING is not even a true sport so who cares? Anybody can drive a car.....not much athleticism needed.....

VietVet1 1 year, 10 months ago

"Anybody can drive a car....." I agree, and in Albany do it while texting in the left hand lane.

daisymae 1 year, 10 months ago

In the left hand lane, weaving all over the road so those behind don't know whether to try and go around and if you blow your horn at them they are clueless as to why people are blowing horns

TheBoss 1 year, 10 months ago

For da crotch to watch NASCAR they would need to be running 22" rims.

Bulldawg 1 year, 10 months ago

Coach, this comment has to rank in the top ten of inane comments that you have made. Give me a break. I am a formula one fan myself, but I watch NASCAR when there is no other racing on. You try driving a car at 180 + miles an hour with about 20 other cars for several hundred miles. When you loose the race due to crapping a brick in the first lap come back and tell us how you feel then.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

How can you tell which comments coach makes is in the top ten of inane comments? All of his comments are inane. True anybody can drive a car, but there are many who do not drive properly. I'd like to see Da Corch drive a car at 220 mph and try making a curve without flipping over. I have never been a racing fan myself whether it's 20 years ago or current, but it is there for the people who do enjoy watching it and you have to respect that. I mean just because some don't like a sport, don't ruin it for those that do.

Bulldawg 1 year, 10 months ago

True, VSU, you are right all of Coaches comments are inane. I don't know what I was thinking. :)

FryarTuk 1 year, 10 months ago

Keep in mind the squawker didn't claim it was a sport. I think he was referring to the driver's comment relating to the significance of fans in the "activity" of racing. (Lot of prepositional phrases in that sentence.)

tocar 1 year, 10 months ago

NASCAR Racing was great and fun in its' day. The sport of it has changed so much in the last several years.

Amazed2 1 year, 10 months ago

Sounds a little like this quote ftom Kyle might be taken out if context. Im sure there was more to this.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 10 months ago

Another ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..................................

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

Let's see Sister and her wheelchair go around the track at 180+ MPH. I would pay to see that. Ha! Ha! Just messin with ya sister.

waltspecht 1 year, 10 months ago

I remember the wheelchair race at the local track. Female DJ and the guy who sold mobile homes if my memory is correct

chinaberry25 1 year, 10 months ago

Coach, I never watch sports anymore because of the enhancement drugs. It is cheating plain and simple. Look at the biker Lance Armstrong. Claimed for years he never used, look at the news today. They are all high paid cheaters, but I do hope they have enough money set aside to pay their medical bills when the steroid train comes in old age. This is just what this country has evolved to. No conscience and to think we put some in prison and others are still walking the streets and on the playing field. Great role models for our young.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 10 months ago

I think you should stick to the non sports related squawks.

At least in the major sports (baseball, basketball, football, soccer) the steroid era is over. There is a lot of testing to prevent this from occurring. Does it still exist? Of course. Do people cheat on their taxes? Of course.

coachjohnson42 1 year, 10 months ago

The best part of NASCAR is when they crash .....otherwise, its as boring as VSU's comments.....

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 10 months ago

I agree, however I don't want to see anyone seriously injured. A few cuts and scrapes aren't bad to see after a huge wreck. Am I a bad person for wanting to see them wreck?