Breaking News

Lewis-Polite wins DCSS Teacher of the Year April 17, 2014

Biden, Ryan argue issues

Vice President Joe Biden, left, and Republican vice presidential nominee, Rep. Paul Ryan, of Wisconsin, challenge each other during the vice presidential debate at Centre College, Thursday in Danville, Ky.

DANVILLE, Ky. — At odds early and often, Joe Biden and Republican Paul Ryan squabbled over the economy, taxes, Medicare and more Thursday night in a contentious, interruption-filled debate. “That is a bunch of malarkey,” the vice president retorted after a particularly tough Ryan attack on the administration’s foreign policy.

“Not a single thing he said is accurate,” Democrat Biden declared after Ryan said U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens had been denied sufficient security by administration officials. Stevens died in a terrorist attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi on Sept. 11.

Both men seemed primed for a showdown from their opening moments on stage, and neither seemed willing to let the other one have the final word.

“I know you’re under a lot of duress to make up for lost ground, but I think people would be better served if we don’t interrupt each other,” Ryan said to his older rival at one point. But both continued to do so — and interrupted moderator Martha Raddatz of ABC as well.

The debate took place a little more than a week after President Barack Obama and Republican challenger Mitt Romney met in the first of their three debates — an encounter that has fueled a Republican comeback in opinion polls.

With Democrats eager for Biden to show the spark the president lacked, he did so.

Unprompted, he brought up the video in which Romney had said 47 percent of Americans pay no federal income tax, view themselves as victims and do not take responsibility for their own lives.

“It’s about time they take responsibility” instead of signing pledges to avoid raising taxes, Biden said — of Romney, Ryan and the Republicans.

But Ryan quickly turned to dreary economic statistics — 23 million are struggling to work, he said, and 15 percent of the country is living in poverty. “This is not what a real recovery looks like.”

Medicare was a flashpoint, as well. Ryan said Obama’s health care plan had diverted $716 billion from the program for seniors and created a new board that could deny care to patients who need it.

Democrats “haven’t put a credible solution on the table,” he said. “They’ll tell you about vouchers. They’ll say all these things to try to scare people.”

Comments

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 6 months ago

Biden was an A-Hole Extrodinaire............Ryan was "Just The Facts Ma'am".... Biden thought he was at a Comedy Club......and suddenly at an Improv.........in short, Biden didn't know WHERE THE HELL HE WAS OR WHAT HE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE DOING.....whilst Ryan was just Putting The Facts of The Matter Out There So That Voters With Half A Brain Could Realize the Truth of the Republican Ticket and Finally Get Some Sanity and Vote For Romney/Ryan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jax 1 year, 6 months ago

I love it when you post stuff late night/ early morning. The filter is (mostly) gone, and we get the unbridled Sister_Ruby.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 6 months ago

I cant get away with that anymore. Wonder how long it's gonna take before I'll be able to do that again...

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 6 months ago

In the clear light of day, 12 hours later, I feel exactly the same way and would say exactly the same thing. Any questions?

Jax 1 year, 6 months ago

Yeah. Where's the all caps or the extra punctuation marks in the light of day? Nothing wrong with those, mind you. I just think its funny. Problem? Or just hungover grouchy?

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 6 months ago

Here they are:

VSU 1 year, 6 months ago

Biden wouldn't let Ryan speak, everytime Ryan was speaking Biden would be shaking his head laughing and then kept rudely interupting Ryan. I guess his strategy was if he couldn't outthink Ryan then he would interupt Ryan so as to not allow anything to come out. The moderator should have told Biden to stick a sock in it.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 6 months ago

Why would she do that? She was on Biden's side.

USTPC 1 year, 6 months ago

I read somewhere that Biden and Obama recently attended her wedding. If that is the case she should not have been allowed to be a moderator because of the conflict of interest. I also have noticed the moderators for the next two presidential debates are from liberal news stations. How about having a moderator from one of the conservative news stations?

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 6 months ago

She asked both campaigns if the wedding thing was a problem and they said it wasn't. I thought she did a pretty good job with the exception of telling old Joe to stop interrupting. If I had been Ryan I would have shut him up.

LuLu 1 year, 6 months ago

It was only Obama, and the wedding was 20 years ago.

chinaberry25 1 year, 6 months ago

Fox said Biden interrupted Ryan 82 times. Folks if something happens to Obama today, he could actually be our president. Scary thought.

chinaberry25 1 year, 6 months ago

VSU, the moderator is a big fan of Obama, she must have been embarressed.

USTPC 1 year, 6 months ago

I doubt it...she was the moderator and did not stop it.

waltspecht 1 year, 6 months ago

Just remember to level a playing field you shave off the high points, take what you have from the high points and fill in the low points. That translates to taking funds from workers and transferring them to those that have the system figured out. Now before you start, if you really believed in this, you wouldn't have anything in your Bank Account, 401 K or Retirement plan. You would have made that sacrafice to help those less fortunate than you. Name me one Liberal, or Politician that did that. Heck, name me one Pastor that did that.

ObjectiveEyes 1 year, 6 months ago

Like Ryan said last night, if you don't have a good record to run on, you demonize the opposition. That's what Biden used most of the evening trying to do. He came across as a bipolar maniac...from laughing hysterically, to rolling his eyes to acting like he wanted to have a fist-fight. It was like watching an angry, senile old man debate a polite young man. I think you'll see Romney/Ryan pick up 4-5 more polling points. MAYBE, the independent/undecided voters saw the real VP last night.

RedEric 1 year, 6 months ago

I was surprised that Biden threw the intelligence community under the bus. We heard very early on a report that four mortar shells landed in line up the driveway, that it was targeted. I will also be surprised if we do not hear objections from the intelligence community.

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 6 months ago

Romney displayed the same behavior toward the President. Biden won hands down, the kid only cited what he had rehearsed, remember Biden has been in the room, he has the experience, he reminds me of Dr. Murfree, they dont take no mess.

Poor people get it right, support who have your back. If you dont have 2 Million in the bank, you're wasting your time on that side of the line. Wake up and support middle America..

Join the Real for 4, Read my lip" more years".

Bulldawg 1 year, 6 months ago

Read my lip? That's all you seem to write is lip. Businesses create jobs not the government. I ask liberals all the time, where did you get your first job? They pause and say at a business like Walmart, Mcdonalds, P&G, mom and pop stores etc.Then I say if it wasn't for these businesses and corporations being in business, liberals and conservatives would not have jobs. Think about it. The government has to make it cheaper for businesses to operate, otherwise they cannot afford to hire people. This is not rocket science, it's ecconomics 101.

VSU 1 year, 6 months ago

Biden wins hands down. In your own bias opinion. This debate is even more reason to vote for Romney/Ryan.

B4it 1 year, 6 months ago

BV_R, I think I finally agree with you on something, "....he reminds me of Dr. Murfree,...". Obama and Murfree are both in positions that they are not qualified for. They were both selected by people who were blinded by the lack of knowledge for what it takes to be a good leader, and they did not know any better than to select someone who tries to tell you one thing, but does another to make you think they are looking out for your best interest. They are both failures, and need to be replaced.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 6 months ago

OMG! This is the Comment of the Week! B4it, you are absolutely right!!! It cant be said any better than this!

jglass 1 year, 6 months ago

I really got irritated early in the so called debate and turned it off. I thought it was a debate.? Ryan could not say a word without being interrupted. All Biden did was argue, laugh, and interrupt.......................And the moderator????? Please.

VSU 1 year, 6 months ago

I felt the same way, it was really annoying and irritating to watch.

B4it 1 year, 6 months ago

Biden was rude and disrespectful by his constant interuptions and smirks while Ryan was speaking. No wonder the Dems can not get anything accomplished, and can not pass a budget plan for the past 3 years. They simply do not, and will not, listen to others due to their arrogant attitudes. Obama and the Dems plan to take even more from the wage earners and spread it to the lower and middle class is a ploy to make these classes more dependent on the "givernment". Give, give, give more so that they can distribute the funds to the special interest of their choice - not yours! In the long run, everyone will suffer.

Amazed2 1 year, 6 months ago

Biden can toss the intelligence divisions under the bus as scapegoats but Obama and Biden are the Sheperds of that herd of scapegoats. Bad goats come from bad herds.

Amazed2 1 year, 6 months ago

Biden with all his Crap eating grins and laughing grins at Ryan reminded me of the "Joker" from Batman. Kind of makes me afraid to think of him in charge of anything especially the remote possibility of assumming the role of the president!!!! Looked like a Friggin Crazy Man. Besides that rude and abnosious!! The lady moderator had good question but failed to control Biden from constantly interupting and talking over Ryan during Ryans time to speak. Basically she blew it but she is Obama supporter!!

Bulldawg 1 year, 6 months ago

Biden reminded me of Jeff Dunham's ventriloquist dummy, Walter. Notice I say dummy.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 6 months ago

I would post the picture again... but the herald prolly wont let me... but you can go to the SOTD, Oct. 8 to see it... http://www.albanyherald.com/news/2012/oct/07/squawk-day-oct-8-2012/#c69747

DRTexas 1 year, 6 months ago

That's great. For four years, I have been wondering where I had seen Biden before.

VSU 1 year, 6 months ago

Biden and his grin reminds me of a mischievious boy. Barney Fife told Andy "Why don't you go to the old folks home and take all the screws out of the wheelchairs" Biden would probably do just that and laugh about it. This is your Vice President, real classy guy...nah, don't think so.

FryarTuk 1 year, 6 months ago

Okay folks. Here's your chance to write in Paul Ryan for president. If you listened to those guys last night more debt, more wars, more unemployment, more stalemate. Minimum difference between the two camps though I was disappointed that Biden says he and Romney want more wars for American military involvement. Unquestionably R&R are intent on that. Both sides seem to be happy with their candidates as Biden grins and Ryan smirks so hohum, tweedle dee, tweedle dum. I was hoping Ayn Ryand would emerge somewhere, I always get a laugh out of that one.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 6 months ago

Atlas Shrugged Part 2 starts today. Please hurry down there and get your ticket and get yourself educated.

jglass 1 year, 6 months ago

Bulldawg, some posted the pictures of them side by side the other day in the comments and that is ALL I can see now when looking at Biden.......that "dummy"!!!! Too Funny!!!!

Shinedownfan 1 year, 6 months ago

I wonder if Walter smiled and smirked would he have them flawless fake teeth like Biden does...