Microwave shocks Sylvester man to death

SYLVESTER, Ga. -- A Sylvester man is dead after being electrocuted while attempting to repair a microwave Saturday, investigators say.

Jimmy Lee Roddy, 25, was found unresponsive after police and EMS units responded to an address on the 500 block of West Pinson Street. Roddy was later pronounced dead by doctors at Phoebe Worth medical center.

According to investigator Ronnie Graddy, Roddy didn't unplug the microwave when he was attempting to repair it and was electrocuted. Roddy's sister told investigators that she heard a loud "pop" and saw Roddy walk into the room and say he had shocked himself. Roddy then collapsed to the floor and died.

"Some people may say, 'well it's only plugged into a 120 volt receptacle, but there are a lot of amps that are running through that line and into appliances like a microwave and it's the amps that will kill you," Graddy said.


waltspecht 2 years, 10 months ago

Trons Kill, remember the Electron is not your friend. An extremely small amperage can cause your heart to go into lockdown, and you die. Respect electricity, if you aren't trained in the correct way to work on a piece of electrical equipment, don't work on it.


AnotherMom 2 years, 10 months ago

Very sad; sorry to hear of this family's loss.


Albanite 2 years, 10 months ago

Even unplugged, a microwave oven has enough juice left in capacity to kill. Many experienced repairers have been electrocuted trying to repair a microwave.


Sign in to comment