Squawk of the Day - Oct. 16, 2012

If you don’t want jobs going overseas, then pay the extra money for American made. Remember, if you read the label, you’re putting food on the table. Buy American.

Comments

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 6 months ago

...emailed from his/her iPhone which was manufactured at the Foxconn plant in China. The same plant which is notorious for having unsafe working conditions for the child-labor that they utilize.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 6 months ago

Touche' S_E A!!!!!! Tell it like it is, Bro Man!!

Shinedownfan 1 year, 6 months ago

It's almost impossible to find anything made in America. My daughter and I look at labels when we buy things, and it seems nothing is made here anymore. Unions have made it too expensive.

alleebrin 1 year, 6 months ago

You hit the nail on the head, Shine! I agree China and Taiwan produce a lot of junk stuff, but I have clothes made in Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Vietnam, to name a few, and no American worker is going to do a better job, and these people are getting paid peanuts!! So what's missing here? A willingness to work, pride, and most of all a need to work. Get a grip, America!

chinaberry25 1 year, 6 months ago

Until taxes, insurance and labor unrest are addressed, they will never bring back what is already gone. The banks could fail to loan money to overseas companies. It is going to take a closing of the purse strings to bring them back. Some Democrats were interviewed and they stated they want to stop corporate profits. Duh! without profits, no money for food stamps. The average American may read on a 6th grade level, but perform civics on a 3rd grade level. But all said and done, when you have a can of peaches that cost $1 more than Chinese brand, most folks will by the imported store brand.

Amazed2 1 year, 6 months ago

You have to Look to find made in USA vs China but its well worth effort. You cant rebuild our economy by buying CHina and supporting Communisn and then Obama goes and borrows millions and billions$$$$ from China on thw world market to artificislly prop up the USA economy Wont work thats the problem now.

TrixibelleBento 1 year, 6 months ago

Wow, speak English much? I feel like I was wading through a 15 year old's text!

erudite 1 year, 6 months ago

Wow, you take the cake. This person may not speak English well but cared enough to make a positive comment defending the US worker and you disrespect that by complaining about the English errors.

daisymae 1 year, 6 months ago

Amazed2, do you even own a dictionary ? I am guessing not by the spelling and punctuation. I hope I haven't used words that are too big for you to understand.

tywebb 1 year, 6 months ago

i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a dictionary will not help with punctuation, so, even if A2 had one, the punctuation would not improve to your liking.

Bulldawg 1 year, 6 months ago

LOL!!! Good one tywebb. A2 would need the use "The Little Brown Handbook" for punctuation.

RedEric 1 year, 6 months ago

Glenn Beck is selling Levi copies, made the traditional way in the US, using denim from the last and original east plant(I forget which State). The price is $17.00 per pair. The myth of high labor cost is to strong to overcome. The actual high cost is regulations. I would guess 15 to 20 percent of front office time is devoted to regulatory compliance. The most important cost is the damage to the CEO's ego as he thinks he has evolved beyond all rules and regulations. The china plant is necessary for bragging rights at the annual CEO summer picnic. All the other CEO's have one.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 6 months ago

The myth of high labor cost? Are you serious? Though manufacturing workers in China are earning more than ever before, average hourly compensation costs were only $1.36 in 2008.

China’s hourly compensation costs remain far below those of many of its East Asian neighbors like Japan ($27.80) and Taiwan ($8.68), but are roughly on par with those of others like the Philippines ($1.68).

Care to guess what it costs to hire an American?

I don't like outsourcing, but for a CEO to keep his job and the job's of those remaining workers he or she must continue to produce profitable quarterly figures. To do this the CEO must keep cost low and revenue high. This is basic capitalism. Please pick up a copy of any basic business textbook and learn the basics of how a business is ran.

Jax 1 year, 6 months ago

I recommend Basic Economics, by Thomas Sowell. It doesn't read like a textbook, but it is just as informative.

RedEric 1 year, 6 months ago

An old line tire plant (a lot of manual labor), the labor costs were only 10 percent of what was the factory cost of the tire ( not the customer cost, about $12). A new plant would be 8 percent or less. I saw a Chinese plant that made 23 miles of zippers per day. They rolled the molten lead in open containers to the machine. Their labor costs are infinitesimal, their EPA avoidance costs are enormous, let alone OSHA. Study the cost of regulations a little bit.

stc1993 1 year, 6 months ago

I believe the last Levi plant was in Valdosta.

bigbob 1 year, 6 months ago

I think a lot more people would buy american if you didn't pay twice as much for half the value. Look at autos why is a 5 yeart old Toyota worth twice as much as a ford or chevy?

rightasrain 1 year, 6 months ago

The answer is simple...Toyota is a better built vehicle; just like Ford is superior to a Chevrolet. GM products suck.

Duane_Kelley 1 year, 6 months ago

I think Ford products suck....I have never had a problem with any GM vehicle I have had

Shinedownfan 1 year, 6 months ago

Here, here, Duane_Kelley, I love my 2003 Buick with 185K miles! She is da bomb!

billybob 1 year, 6 months ago

But the reality is that Toyota was probably built in the United States while the Ford and Chevy were probably mostly built in Mexico. Most Japanese auto makers are manufacturing a lot of product in the US.

stc1993 1 year, 6 months ago

The Toyotas are assembled in the US just like the Fords & Chevys most of them anyway, some are assembled in Mexico & Canada.

tocar 1 year, 6 months ago

Speaking of the USA, Albany needs to stop sending industries out of Albany and give more incentives for manufacturers and businesses to locate here. Look at all of the good employers who have left Albany. Now they are talking about excise tax on existing manufacturers. What a bunch of idiots!

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 6 months ago

Yep and bye, bye to the remaining few here. The people running this town are geniuses...

daisymae 1 year, 6 months ago

Case in point here, Bob's Candy Company.

VSU 1 year, 6 months ago

I saw a product advertised as parts made in the USA but was manufactured in China. Go Figure!

alleebrin 1 year, 6 months ago

I saw a woman working in a carpet factory in Spain, mending an aged tapestry. She was using thread you could barely see and holding the material right off the end of her nose. She was paid $75.00 a MONTH!

bigbob 1 year, 6 months ago

All she needs to do is move to Albany & learn how to milk the system for all the free bees you can get. She would have a better, car, house, phone, etc than the working people in no time.

Cartman 1 year, 6 months ago

Prior to 2009, I was GM's most loyal fan. I've had a GM truck or SUV in the driveway for 30 years plus. I love GM trucks. My family drove GMs as well. My daily driver was a Caddy DTS. Best car I've ever owned.

Thanks to Obama I'll never buy another. Buying a GM condones his socialism. As a taxpayer I've been given no choice; but I won't voluntarily contribute to GM's success.

Bulldawg 1 year, 6 months ago

Well said, Cartman. I feel the same way. Ford did not take the bailout. GM did not have to take the bailout either. I know that the GM executives would disagree because they have to get their fat bonuses.

VSU 1 year, 6 months ago

I have driven Ford pickups the past several years with no major issues other than your normal maintenance.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 6 months ago

That's why I still have my 2003 Buick. Nothing else out there I really want except a Beamer with cool angel eye headlights.

coachjohnson42 1 year, 6 months ago

I love all MY HEAVY CHEVYS made in the USA!!!!!

chinaberry25 1 year, 6 months ago

I would not bet any money on that. My Toyota was made in the USA. I know that GM buys most of their parts overseas.