Downtown post office gets reprieve

Downtown Albany's post office at 345 W. Broad Ave.

Downtown Albany's post office at 345 W. Broad Ave.

ALBANY, Ga. — The U.S. Postal Service has now agreed to continue operating the century-old West Broad Avenue post office facility at least six months past its planned closure date.

According to Frances Krack, leasing agent for the Griggs Building, where the post office is contained at 345 W. Broad Ave., she received an offer Wednesday to extend the lease through April 2, or six months past the set closure date of December 2. Krack is accepting the extension offer on behalf of her company, Lone Star Equities, she said.

Krack has recently been active in efforts to bring the U.S. Postal Service together with any of several private companies willing to continue operations in the Griggs Building and to possibly eliminate the need to change postal box addresses.

She believes the lease extension is to allow time enough to formulate a deal. Krack said she will be meeting further with local post office officials this week and expects to know more about the particulars of a potential deal.

“A deal with a private operation is not without precedent,” Krack said. “This kind of thing is done all the time. I think we’re going to be just fine.”

Krack said she was confident that people who rent post office boxes at the West Broad facility have no reason to transfer to another post office, stressing the importance of the revenue to prospective private operators.

Albany City Commissioner Roger Marietta said he will continue with the planned community gathering at the steps of the West Broad post office at 2 p.m. Friday.

“There’s no reason to stop now,” he said. “This is just peaceful gathering of citizens who want to keep their post office.”

Marietta is urging residents to contact their representatives at www.congress.org and encourage them to find a viable fix for the USPS. The commissioner said that while the postal service is definitely suffering from competition from email and other delivery services, the largest financial problem is the congressional mandate that its retirement health care plan be funded in advance.

“No other company has had to do that,” Marietta said, “and its costing billions to the post office.”

Comments

waltspecht 1 year, 6 months ago

That doesn't mean it will stay open does it? Only that it is an option, one which the Post Office has already said it can't afford.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 6 months ago

Really? Really? We just got a p o box on the east side. You are just delaying our change of address a few months.

MRKIA 1 year, 6 months ago

NO ONE SEEMS TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE CLOSING OF THE WINN-DIXIE ON OAKRIDGE. SEEMS TO ME MORE PEOPLE WILL HURT BY THAT CLOSING. THE NEAREST CHAIN GROCER IS MILES AWAY. THE NEXT CLOSEST POST OFFICE ON SLAPPY IS CLOSER THAN THE GROCERY STORE. GO FIGURE

iko 1 year, 6 months ago

Funny to hear Marietta refer to a "peaceful" gathering of citizens. He normally doesn't refer to taxpayers in those terms.

whattheheck 1 year, 6 months ago

What Roger meant is his people protesting are not part of the tea party. Roger does not consider tea party citizens to be "peaceful". Big difference in his little mind.

chinaberry25 1 year, 6 months ago

I still think that a post office does not need to be taken away from Albany. Close some of these little rural post offices. 3 post offices are in a 10 mile area, two only 3 miles apart. Look at Leslie, Desoto and Cobb. Albany's does more in one morning that all 3 does all week. Or better yet, privatize the whole thing.

VietVet1 1 year, 6 months ago

Actually they found it cheaper to pay the rent then to transport everyone to S. Slappy to pick up their welfare check.

Amazed2 1 year, 6 months ago

The post office has got to somehow improve attitudes of staff, services etc. They probably are reasonably efficent for a single stamped envelope but beyond that thet suck in comparison to UPS and FEDX Recentlya couple months ago I mailed envelope to IRS . I was askd about tracking option and said ok for $.85 extra. Well according to USPS Tracking it never arrived.Well 8 weeks later im prepared a replacement return and was planning to mail it that day and my accountant called said guess what I got your return check in today. To this day tracking does not kbow where that envelope is. Only thing they could say well thats bundled mail. I said why did you sell me Tracking.

Jacob 1 year, 6 months ago

"The post office has got to somehow improve attitudes of staff, services etc."

Staff at this post office have been quite friendly and efficient, in my experience. That being said, other than the shoe shine boy, who would lose out if they close that branch? The USPS is bleeding money and has to streamline. The U.S. taxpayers have enough people to support without adding renting an entire building to prop up a shoe shine stand.

Engineer 1 year, 6 months ago

"The post office has got to somehow improve attitudes of staff, services etc."

I'm not really sure why you would say that. I go to the Downtown Post Office pretty often, and the staff there have always been polite and helpful with me. That's one of the reasons I like going to that location.

whattheheck 1 year, 6 months ago

I think the comment was generic to the USPS and not site specific.

MRKIA 1 year, 6 months ago

THE DOWNTOWN P.O. IS A GONER. THE SIX MONTHS GIVES PRIVATE ENTERPRISE A CHANCE TO TAKE OVER. MAILBOX R US OR PAK-MAIL CAN COME IN AND DO THE SAME THING THE USPS DOES NOW.

Amazed2 1 year, 6 months ago

Unfortunately just likd Social Security the Postal Service has to change unless Obama stays in office forever and continues to borrow billiond from China to prop up Social Security and Postal Service. Most agree changes are needed but " just dont change mine".

alleebrin 1 year, 6 months ago

Do we really need the USPS? I do all my money transactions online and all I get in my box is junk, and I could surely live without that clutter!!