Price, Heard set for debate at Albany State

Lane Price and Lorenzo Heard

Lane Price and Lorenzo Heard

ALBANY, Ga. — With the election less than two weeks away, Dougherty School Board at-large candidates Lane Price and Lorenzo Heard are set to debate Thursday at 7 p.m. at Albany State University.

A news release from ASU states that Price, the Democratic nominee, and Heard, who is running a write-in campaign, will discuss community issues at the forum at the ACAD auditorium.

“The main message I am trying to send is that I am running because I care and am committed to the education of Dougherty County’s children,” Heard, a write-in candidate, said. “I have a history of being involved in education, and I want to make sure our children are educated and develop intellectually.”

According to the release, the candidates will present their respective platforms.

Price, the medical director at Willson Hospice House, ousted incumbent Anita Williams-Brown in July’s Democratic Primary. Days later Heard attempted to get his name on the ballot as an independent candidate but was rebuffed by the Dougherty Board of Elections.

Heard then sued the Elections Board in August, but on the same day also entered the race as a write-in candidate. He dropped the lawsuit earlier this month, saying the legal wrangling was proving to be a distraction to his campaign.

Thursday’s debate is the first, and only, debate between the two candidates.

“I think this is a wonderful opportunity to reach out to Albany State students who might not know me,” Price said. “I want to let them know that the entire community voted for me in July and that I am still the better qualified candidate for the seat.”

ASU officials say representatives concerned with the state charter school amendment vote are also expected to be at the forum.

The event is being hosted by the ASU Student Government Association and the ASU iVOTE2012 committee. The General Election is on Nov. 6, but early voting is under way and continues until Nov. 2.

Comments

snakedr 1 year, 10 months ago

Should be a interesting forum to see what the candidates has to say about our school system.

Somebody 1 year, 10 months ago

Why does the forum have to be held at ASU? That's like going to the other teams ballpark giving them the home field advantage.

Duane_Kelley 1 year, 10 months ago

What difference does it make where it is held? It is an at large position....This is not a game....Whether it at ASU...or the parking lot in front of Jimmie's Hotdogs the most important thing is the issues....go and see what both candidates are about and stop getting on here with these simple minded antiquated divisive posts and make an effort to work collectively for the good of ALL children in the DCSS.....

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

We already know what Heard's agenda is! Keep that white woman off the board.

dmyers80 1 year, 10 months ago

Please... If you have children in DCSS go to this, listen to the issues and where each candidate stands and then decide if you already havent.... The problem with ploitics today is PARTISANSHIP!!! Thats why this country is in the condition it is today because the ones who are supposed to be resolving issues, have already decided which side they are on before they hear the issue!!

Blaqueknight316 1 year, 10 months ago

Great comment...that is rare around here.

billybob 1 year, 10 months ago

Partisanship!? These two are members of the same party! Are you even paying attention?

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

We know what Heard's issue is. "We gots to keep that white lady from getting on the school board."

Duane_Kelley 1 year, 10 months ago

I hope that is not the case but if it is that is ridiculous....white ain't always right and black shouldn't make one step back......if Dr. Price is the best candidate out of the two and has the best platform for the betterment of all the children of DCSS then so be it....if it is Rev.Heard then so be it as well...it is time for Albany to be more forward thinking and not so racially divisive....it's sad that people feel this way,but I can remember when black people in this city felt white people felt the same way.....for her to win the primary the way she did,clearly some people of color had to think she was the better candidate also....My question is what is the community as a whole doing to make A difference besides complaining and making excuses?? Good luck to both candidates as they express their views in this debate....We must not forget that the CHILDREN are the most important concern,not the color of the people the citizens choose to represent them

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

And I suppose black is always right! You are more stupid than I gave you credit for if you think Heard is running other than to keep Price from winning. Why didn't Heard run during the initial election? Answer me that smart boy. Why did heard wait until Anita Williams was defeated before he suddenly decided he wanted to run for that spot? Why did he not run originally? Because they did not anticipate Williams Brown losing. They already had their black candidate, but suddenly Lane Price wins the election and the black preachers had to scramble to come up with an idea and lord and behold Heard all of a sudden decides he wants to run for that spot. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure this is all about race and not about Heard having a desire to run for office. If Price had lost the election or if Price was black, Heard's name would have never come up to run for the school board.

Duane_Kelley 1 year, 10 months ago

Why don't u read everything I said in my posts before you make a comment...by no means is that what I was saying....name calling aside...my comment is saying right or wrong knows no color...and furthermore I am nobody's boy.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

Temper! Temper! I respect your view on what you said about the best candidate winning, but You still didn't answer my question. Why did Heard wait until Anita Williams Brown lost the election before he suddenly decided he wanted to run for school board? Why did he not run before? Why? Because they don't want another white person on the board. Plain & simple! If Heard had run inititially against Brown & Price I could respect his running for the school board, but he waited until Brown was defeated before he even thought about running.

Duane_Kelley 1 year, 10 months ago

I don't know...I don't have a temper but I am passionate about my views...to me there is a difference...I talk to you with respect and I expect the same that is all....there may be validity in your theory AND i can see where you may suspect that to be the case...it does make one wonder...but even if that is the case, I am ignorant enough to believe the people will do the right thing on this matter, whatever it may be.....whoever is elected let us support our system and our children more importantly....

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

I don't think believing people will do the right thing is being ignorant, rather you have faith that people will do the right thing is a better term for it. Just my opinion! I take back my word of calling you stupid, poor choice of words. I really believe you are sincere in what you say. Maybe sometimes one gets blind from reality but thinking back on a lot of your past comments, I believe you are a fair minded person, and our country would be a better place with more people like that. I apologize for any name calling I may have made to you.

Duane_Kelley 1 year, 10 months ago

And on another note I watched my father who sat on that same school board until his death in 1999 after serving for over 36 years as an administrator coach and teacher in this very same system over what was best for ALL of the children of the DCSS often spending more time with others children than he spent time with his own because HE CARED....my family probably has over 100 years of their lives spent in educating the children of this system as well as over 4 generations of my family being products of the DCSS with all of them leading productive and successful lives so you see Mr/Ms VSU, this MEANS SOMETHING TO ME so much more than idle chatter and bickering and name calling....so if you want to discuss these issues face to face, ask around the city about me and my family(Cutts or Kelley)....I can easily be found....

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

I am sorry about your father passing away, sounds like a good man. Thanks for telling me your story, I can see why you are so passionate about it. Kudos to your family. Best of luck to you and yours.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 9 months ago

Good Job Duane Kelley in expressing your views in a respectful tone of voice.We all know you and you are a strong brother who is not afraid to express your views by using TRUTH as your backbone and challenging these posters who hide their real name. Some people in this city still have not grown up enough to let race stay out of every conversation. Personally, I could care less what color Heard or Dr. Price is.....who cares? As long as they both have an agenda top help our children move FORWARD , not BACKWARDS, I will support them. The older generation in the area is still sick with prejudice and hatred as if this is 1945.They cant even look at a news story on TV without worrying about what color somebody is. Dr. Price was elected because of the support of BLACK PEOPLE!!! Get over it....Let me say that again...Dr. Price was elected because of the support of BLACK PEOPLE...therefore, Blacks in this area are looking beyond race to seek a better board of education. Heard might be good for the Board as well......who knows? All I know is , Albany needs to grow up and stop hollering race all the time.....who cares? The kids come first....

MRKIA 1 year, 10 months ago

MRS. PRICE, BE SURE TO ASK HIM ABOUT HIS LACK OF MORALS AND CHARACTER. ASK ABOUT HIS ADULTEROUS BEHAVIOR AND CHILDREN OUT OF WEDLOCK WHILE PASTORING AT THE CHURCH AND WITH CHURCH MEMBERS AT THAT. HE HAS BETRAYED THE CHURCH AND HIS WIVES MORE THAN ONCE. A SKUNK CAN'T HIDE HIS STRIPE. OR HIS SMELL.

waltspecht 1 year, 10 months ago

If you support Dr. Price, you had best go to the forum. For she is certainly walking into a stacked deck. I imagine Heard's Church, and other Churchs, might be providing free transportation to the event to assure a strong turnout. That is how it has been handled in the past.

dmyers80 1 year, 10 months ago

I think if she is strong on the issues she will be just fine!

FryarTuk 1 year, 10 months ago

Dr. Price has nothing to gain from sitting on stage with Heard. Whoever advised this did her a disservice. The time to speak at ASU is when she is elected. I just can't emphasize the level of my disappointment about this event. She's a classy pro and she doesn't turn away from adversity but the only person to benefit from this is Heard who doesn't deserve the opportunity.

dmyers80 1 year, 10 months ago

I have to say, I agree with you.... But just my feelings on the matter... If I run in an election and I am declared the winner... there is no way I would go back and have an organized bebate with a guy running a WRITE IN campaign!!!

Gollygee 1 year, 10 months ago

FryarTuk is right about this debate, it's Heard's homecourt advantage and there's nothing to gai for Dr. Price. Also, will there be a moderator? I think this "forum" could use one.

coachjohnson42 1 year, 10 months ago

She might get chewed up like Romney did at the NAACP convention......hehehehehe

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

Shut up coach, you are such a moron it's pathetic. Once Obama gets exposed for selling weed and cocaine at college that will be the end of him.

coachjohnson42 1 year, 10 months ago

you just make up all kinds of VOMIT dont you?

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

If anybody knows anything about puking and vomit it is you coach since all you talk about is a bunch of crap.

Cartman 1 year, 10 months ago

You're right Coach. Those racists at the NAACP were ready to boo before Romney even said something. I fear that Lane Price may be stepping into a hostile mob of Heard supporters of similar closed-minded mentality.

FryarTuk 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm not in the least concerned Dr. Price will be bested by Rev. Hurd. What concerns me is the first rule of politics - "If your oponent is drowning, don't throw them a life line." Or as the Prince said, if your enemy is killing himself don't interrupt.

saveourcity 1 year, 10 months ago

lets see.......a Board Certified MD verses a self-proclaimed preacher. Should be interesting......

Duane_Kelley 1 year, 10 months ago

I wish teachers had more say in the policy making decisions...Teaching is the only profession run by those who are not actually in the profession...The State Board is run by Lawyers...The AMA, is run by doctors....the Nursing Association is run by nurses....Education?? Run by politicians,many of whom have little to no experience in the field....therein to me lies the problem.

dmyers80 1 year, 10 months ago

I agree... there has to be some input from someone who knows whats going on in the field!!

TRUTH101 1 year, 10 months ago

and neither Price or Heard have that experience.......

TRUTH101 1 year, 10 months ago

However, Preachers work closley with school age children.......what is Price's expereince with kids????/

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

The biggest question here is what is Heard's motivation to run for the school board? Because he cares for the children or because they don't want another white person on the school board? I am betting on the latter. As I stated before, Heard showed no interest in running for the school board until Price defeated Anita Williams Brown. If Heard was interested on being on the board he could have ran against Anita Williams Brown & Dr. Price, but no, he waited until Brown was defeated then he decided he wanted to run for the sole purpose of keeping another white person from getting on the school board. If Anita Williams Brown had won the election, Heard's interest on running for the school board on a scale of 1-10 would be 0.

GG126 1 year, 10 months ago

There are plenty of retired educators an school administrators in our city. I wonder why not one has stepped up to the plate to serve on our school board.

DoctorDorite 1 year, 10 months ago

Not sure who advised her to do this but its a bad decision on her part to give credibility to a write-in candidate when he had a chance to be a player earlier. If this is the kind of decisions she makes then maybe she's not the right choice, just plain not smart.

RedEric 1 year, 10 months ago

If there is any chance at all that you might be busy election day go vote now. A win by Reverand/ Bishop/Pastor Heard is not a victory for the black community of Albany. He perpetuates the notion that you don't need an education to make it big. You can take the path of misusing government money. You can treat the females of your fake church like a personal harem. You can lie and cheat with impunity. I hope these are not the morals and life goals the black community want to pass on to their children.

Blaqueknight316 1 year, 10 months ago

Those problems exist in both black and white churches, now lets try to resolve those problems everywhere.

Jacob 1 year, 10 months ago

Really BK, why don't you provide some specific examples of Albany area white churches' pastors who impregnate the flock with impunity.

FryarTuk 1 year, 10 months ago

In the interest of tri-partisanship, I wish to modify my earlier position. Like Romney I'm going to change course, unlike Romney I'm not going to reverse course. I have learned that this is not to be a debate, Dr. Price was asked to participate in an introductory forum to the ASU students as approximately 1,000 ASU students voted in the previous school board election. Many of them are not from DoCo so, the forum appeared to be a way for Dr. Price to get face time with them. Depending on the format, I'm yet unsure it is wise. Hurd is after all a snake oil selling metaphysician while Dr. Price is a caring physician.