Charter amendment detrimental to schools

Letter to the editor

First and foremost, the future of our children is at stake. There is an ongoing effort on the part of those who want to take away the control of our local school system from the Board of Education and put in place a handpicked board of their choosing to run a charter school. Once that is in place, it will soon become a charter school system. What do we think is going to happen to our children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews? Who is the Brighter Georgia Education Coalition that is trying to capture our minds with the phrase “public charter school”? To say that state-approved public charter schools will not reduce funding for traditional public schools is a lie. You do the math!

According to research and data received pertaining to this amendment, “this charter school amendment is being backed by the governor and for-profit education management companies from outside of Georgia. It is being opposed by public school systems, various state professional educational associations and other concerned groups. If approved, this amendment would create a constitutional charter school commission with the power to approve charter school applications anywhere in the state. Such a new commission would diminish local control of public education and threaten the future of K-12 statewide.” FMI, visit www.votesmartgeorgia.com.

Let us not be fooled again by those who say they want to take back their country. Republicans turned Democrats to try to appeal to the weak. They promise change when they mean to return to the same. We need to change our mindset and refocus.

Change has got to come. We all must stand up, speak up and show up at the polls. I appeal to you to vote no on the Georgia charter school amendment.

LARRY SHAW

Albany

Comments

herewegoagain 1 year, 9 months ago

My children were in the county schools and were falling further behind their peers. I appealed to the teachers, principal, board members but to no avail. I had to relocate in order for them to attend a Charter School now they are both excelling and at the near the top of the class. I have paid close attention to what is going on in my kids lives from day one. I knew a different learing enviroment would be better for them. I certainly am thankful that I made the change. My child scored a 1450 on the SAT this past year as a 9th grader. Under the county school system, we were told it was a lack of effort. I now see where the lack of effort was coming from. It was the teachers at the front of the classroom. I WILL VOTE YES AND I KNOW MANY MORE THAT WILL ALSO!!!!

PatrickY2K 1 year, 9 months ago

You do not understand the amendment.

herewegoagain 1 year, 9 months ago

Understand this..... CHARTER SCHOOLS WORK!!!!

tywebb 1 year, 9 months ago

not any better than public schools

athens 1 year, 9 months ago

So the writer is happy with our public schools??????hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahah my stomach hurts!!!!from laughing

puttingchildrenfirst 1 year, 9 months ago

I don't think Barack Obama was a rebulican turned democrat and he has ALWAYS supported charter schools. In fact, more school choice and charters are the only thing bothe Obama and Romney agree on. And I find it interesting that you wanted to bring up our future generations. Don't all of our children and grandchildren deserve to have public school choices. Why should their school district be determined by their zip code ?!?!? How is Georgia EVER going to thrive and become a real contender in the education arena if we continue to do what is failing our kids ?

tywebb 1 year, 9 months ago

those of you voting yes.....do your research. don't vote yes just because your system sucks and you hear the words "charter school". It's not going to be as great as you think. vote with your head, not your emotions. learn all you can about it first. look at pros AND cons.

tywebb 1 year, 9 months ago

and remember.....if you vote it in.....YOU WILL HAVE NO CONTROL OVER THAT SCHOOL!!!!! it will be controlled by appointed (not elected) individuals in ATL. Good luck with that

bigwhoop2000 1 year, 9 months ago

It will be controlled by parents who actually has kids in that school system. Please in form your self Ty....

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 9 months ago

Already voted YES and would do it again if I could. Thank you and good night. The key is "local school board control". If you have one that SUCKS as bad as DoCo.....then you know why you must vote YES!!!! on Amendment 1.

puttingchildrenfirst 1 year, 9 months ago

State charter school are ran by a non-profit board that is comprised of LOCAL parents....noone in Atlanta controls that school. The charter school only has to be accountable to the authorizer, which means they have to answer to the State Board of Education...not a local dysfunctional board

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 9 months ago

BOOM SHAKKA LAKKA!!!!!!!! Thank you for putting out the truth about Amendment 1. Vote YES on Amendment 1 !!!!!!!!!!! Vote YES for FREEDOM from FOOLS like the DCSS Board!!!

tywebb 1 year, 9 months ago

then vote the fools out! that's how you get freedom from them. damn, sister, i thought you were smarter than this

bigwhoop2000 1 year, 9 months ago

Sadly Larry the point you’re missing is that we do need a change as you stated in your last paragraph. The change is charter schools. But your opening paragraph should alarm most tax payers because it seems as though your only concern is the funding. Public schools will continue to have the same flow of funds as always. Another point that seems to be missed is that many people who are of a particular party (Democrat) seem to think that throwing more money at a problem will solve it. This has been proven throughout history that it’s simply not the answer. Georgia’s education budget has gone up year after year with little to no results. It’s seems every other aspect of state government has been cut but education. It’s a simple choice. Do you want your tax dollars to go to a school system that will produce quality students or do you want your tax dollars to go to one that don’t. Think about this when you cast your vote. Many of you may have the luxury of living in an area that has a good school system but there are also many parents who don’t. And a choice between a failing public school and an excellent public charter school is not a hard decision.

tywebb 1 year, 9 months ago

prove to me that charter school students are of higher quality than public students. do you idiots not understand that you can have charter schools now? this is NOT for local charter schools. they already exist. this is for STATE run charter schools. NOT THE SAME! And bigwhoop, someone yesterday stated that NO tax dollars go to these schools, yet you claim that we need to think about where our tax dollars go. can't have it both ways on the same side of the arguement.

tywebb 1 year, 9 months ago

And the educational spending in georgia (according the the GaDOE) has gone DOWN $4 billion in the last 4 years (including this one). 5 years ago there were no furlough days. Now, most systems are not paying teachers for 10 days. where the hell do you get your misguided information? you say "Public schools will continue to have the same flow of funds as always." but later you say "Do you want your tax dollars to go to a school system that will produce quality students or do you want your tax dollars to go to one that don’t". Seriously, where do you think the funding comes from? I guess, what you're saying, is that EVERYONE's taxes are about to go UP since we're going to keep funding public ed the same AND now fund all of these new charter schools! THAT MAKES NO FREAKIN' SENSE! Just because it's a charter school doesn't mean it's going to be "excellent". I know the system in doco is broken.....so, come election time, put the ones in place who will fix it. what the hell is so hard to understand about that?

Mr_Heatmiser 1 year, 9 months ago

The amendment says that funding to the school SYSTEM will not be reduced as a consequence of students enrolling in charter schools. Adding a new school to the school system would mathematically seem to require reducing funding to the other schools, unless taxes are increased.

alleebrin 1 year, 9 months ago

The real dilemma I have here: I have no children nor grandchilren yet I'm paying something like $600.00 a year to educate the local children (who are far from getting an education!) Is there any way I can be exempt from flushing my money down the toilet; then I could contribute to the charter school?

Mr_Heatmiser 1 year, 9 months ago

I'll make you a deal: I'll pay for my own kids' education, and you pay for your own retirement.