'Frights'@Dtown set for Friday

The popular downtown event takes on a Halloween theme this month.

Frights at Dtown is set for Friday, October 26 at 8 p.m.

Frights at Dtown is set for Friday, October 26 at 8 p.m.

ALBANY, Ga. — The October edition of the popular Nights@Dtown concert series is taking on a ghoulish side as organizers hope to entice patrons to come to Friday's event in costume.

Each month, the Albany-Dougherty Inner City Authority, the Downtown Manager's Office and the Downtown Merchant's Association sponsors a free public night event at the parking deck on Jackson Street featuring local artists and bands.

This Friday will be no different, except that organizers are urging people to come dressed up as their favorite ghoul or goblin.

"It's just a way to add another fun element to an already fun event," Downtown Manager and ADICA CEO Aaron Blair said.

The event starts at 8 p.m. and will feature "Running Down Romance," the "G&S Experience" and "Unbreakable Bloodline," along with a special performances by local dance companies and presentations by local artists.

"We've had over 20 artists confirm for it and the thing I like best about it is that the artists will actually be making their art. They don't just set their work up, most will be doing their art. It's really pretty incredible," Blair said.

Comments

GOBEME 1 year, 9 months ago

Good way to get mugged and not know who did it? No way would I be at this event this month....

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 9 months ago

I have walked downtown at night after this event and have never been mugged. Don't knock what you haven't tried. This event is so much fun!! Come see me at the new membership table. ; )

J.D._Sumner 1 year, 9 months ago

Couldn't you say the same about any costume party?

urbanpurpose 1 year, 9 months ago

Gobeme, seriously? Have ever gone? This is the best thing going on in this city! If you haven't been then you have no legitimate right to even make such a negative comment. There are some hard working people at this event and your negative comments only hurt them. What do you gain by being so negative. Let the hard working people trying to turn downtown around have a dang chance. Have you been mugged down there? Not fair to spread rumors of something you have never personally experienced.

rightasrain 1 year, 9 months ago

Wait a minute!!! Did the city not just say that they are going to ENFORCE the "Dusk to dawn" law regarding Riverfront Park? Dusk is well before 8 PM. Just a bunch of pansies-panties they are!

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 9 months ago

This isn't at the park. It is on top of the parking deck. ROFLMBO

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 9 months ago

With plenty of police presence. Another FYI

J.D._Sumner 1 year, 9 months ago

Right, Frights or Nights@Dtown isn't in Riverfront Park. It's on the parking deck two blocks away, FYI.

sue 1 year, 9 months ago

Nights@dtown has been going one for a year and a half with ABSOLUTELY no problems. No violence, no drugs, no crime, just good times. You just can't stand the idea that something good is happening downtown. And yeah i know this because i have been at nights@dtown most nights.

Amazed2 1 year, 9 months ago

I cant believe they are inticing people to come downtown to fright each other Dont worries de young thuggies will haandle it. Oh yea somebody remind de Po Po Chief to turn on that fancy crime stopping network of cameras so we know who did what. Oops they all got mask on?? Now how we going to know who is who?

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 9 months ago

Well don't come with that nasty attitude. : /

beartrap 1 year, 9 months ago

how many will show up in a trayvon martin costume?

Amazed2 1 year, 9 months ago

Dont worry Kaosinn I only go downtown 2 to 3 times a year. Not safe even the Police Dept locks the doors. Unless I get a jury call I only get out downtown once a year to buy my tag and once a year to pay property taxes. I always go during mid day on a bright sunny day and I minimize my time on foot. Do worry honey if you wont find me dowtown after the sun goes down especially on dress like a mugger night.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 9 months ago

Some of us are trying to make Downtown something again and have worked really hard volunteering our time for downtown. The Deck of Arts is a very successful event for 18 years old and up. We have art, music, dancers, etc. The artists work really hard and so does Aaron Blair and thanks to them this is one of the most successful events in Albany right now. To date, we haven't had one incident. Everyone is so polite and gets along great. Albany really does have some great local talent and this is a place to show case it. Say what you want but I spend most of my time in downtown for work and play and I have been downtown many of nights even after midnight and I have yet to encounter any muggers, but keep spreading lies and see how far you will go. You are more than likely to encounter a mugger in your own front yard in NW Albany than downtown.