As of Wednesday, October 24, 2012
© Copyright 2014 Albany Herald
- For-profit companies are not going to come in and open up charter schools. The ballot question specifically says that charter petitions must be at the request of local communities. These local communities must establish a nonprofit organization by law. Please educate yourself on the Charter Schools Act.
- Your taxes are not going to be raised because of a public charter school. We only receive state money. All local money stays with the traditional public school.
- Public charter schools will not take away local control. Charter schools give the ultimate local control — the parents. This amendment will give all parents the right to take control of their child’s education if they have a failing school system.
- Public charter schools do not handpick their students, and we are not set up to re-segregate our school system. Almost 70 percent of state charter students are minority. By law, public charters are required to hold a public, random lottery each year.
More like this story
- ACCA meeting gets heated ( June 19, 2012 )
- Charter school amendment unneeded ( October 18, 2012 )
- DCSS plans public meetings to discuss budget ( June 12, 2013 )
- Draft calls for evolving Albany High into career academy ( June 8, 2012 )
- Outcomes reported for after-school program ( July 25, 2013 )