Bishop gains endorsements

Rep. Sanford Bishop Jr., D-Albany, addresses supporters Wednesday at at rally where he received the endorsements of the Georgia Association of Educators, the National Education Association, local educators and students.

ALBANY -- Surrounded by educators and college students, U.S. Rep. Sanford Bishop Jr., D-Albany, on Wednesday gratefully accepted their endorsement in his quest to earn an 11th term in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Bishop, who was first elected to the House in 1992, is pitted against Republican John House in the Nov. 6 election.

"This is a time we should be investing in those who invest in us," Albany State University senior Jasmine Jones said. "Truth is that many of us rely on financial aid for our college education. Congressman Bishop has brought millions of dollars in education funding into our area, and I think we should recognize that."

Retired director of the Georgia Association of Educators Bert Wagnon agreed.

"I'd like to announce today that Sanford Bishop has the endorsement of the Georgia Association of Educators and the National Educators Association," Wagnon said. "Sanford Bishop has delivered for education, and we need to keep him working for Southwest Georgia."

Bishop, a lawyer who has spent most of his career in government, said, "I am humbled and honored to have your endorsement. Education has always been a priority of mine. Our young people today are challenged by China and India, which have populations 10 times greater than ours.

"The STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) disciplines will determine the future of our nation. This is where our emphasis must be placed."

Comments

EdUktor 1 year, 6 months ago

The teachers' unions, represented locally by the Georgia Association of Educators, are steadfastly against education reform and parental choice. Rent the film WAITING FOR SUPERMAN to learn more.

Then do a Google search on "NEA" and "donations" and you'll see that the National Education Association, GAE's parent union, is also a cash-cow for Democrats—and for every liberal-left pressure group in the news.

Finally, vote "YES" on the Charter School Amendment ballot Initiative!

D5S 1 year, 6 months ago

Bishop has been in office for 20 years and is part of the problem in Washington. By the way, where are the "thousands of jobs" Mr. Bishop claims to have brought to the 2nd. District? Did he bring them here when companies like Merck and Cooper Tire decided to leave town?

I'm tired of corrupt politicians, I am voting for a Patriot this November. John House, who is most certainly NOT a politician.

iko 1 year, 6 months ago

Notice the zombie Roger Marietta standing behind Bishop.

FryarTuk 1 year, 6 months ago

Roger must be looking for a job,

Fletch 1 year, 6 months ago

... Yeah! ... I saw that "hack", Marietta standing there like Pavlov's Dog waitin' for a political bone. ... This infuriated me for, I had him as a "teacher" @ Darton and boy what a liberal goon this kid is. ... And, to to[p it all off, he served in the navy at one time ... just to make his behavior all the more disgusting ...

VSU 1 year, 6 months ago

Well halloween is coming up.

RedEric 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm surprised Charles and Shirley Sherrod didn't endorse the congressman. $13.6 million is a bit more than a stipend. I have seen waiting for superman. it should be required viewing for DCSS board members through teachers....on their own time.

waltspecht 1 year, 6 months ago

It never ceases to amaze. Sanford Bishop has been involved in one contrversial act after another, Most involving ethics and some shady dealings. To see these folks stand up for him makes you wonder how deep they are into his pockets? The Farmer that started out with 150 acres and now has 2800 acres should listen to the recorded threats from a Bishop Aid to another Farmer about what would happen if he didn't support Bishop last election. After reviewing that, I wouldn't believe what this individual says wasn't recorded under duress, threatening his access to program funding.

Terry.Lewis 1 year, 6 months ago

I didn't think people remembered that. Interesting times :)

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 6 months ago

I nearly puked last night during the World Series when I saw Jimmy Webb's fat face on TV with a ringing endorsement of Bishop. It's the best picture of what's wrong in politics and government that I can think of. Webb is a multi millionaire and packs in more and more each year from Govvament subsidies to farmers. REALLY PATHETIC!!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 6 months ago

My favorite part of the add, though, was when Webb called Bishop a "god fearing christian man". HAHA!! How would Jimmy Webb know?? HAHA!!!!

ilovealbany 1 year, 6 months ago

The comment made by the ASU senior is so small minded...Does she think that Bishop gets student aid specifically for this region? Last time I checked, student aid was available at any college that used federal funding and available to any student who qualified. I'm still paying off my loans! Give me a break, fact is Bishop rarely shows his face in his region except for election time. He is a career politician and will now have his seat until he chooses to retire thanks to the redistricting. This is why I am a strong advocate for term limits for all politicians! Look at his voting record or lack there of (many times he abstanes from voting). Don't be fooled folks, Sanford is worried about Sanford and his family...not his constituents! This has been proven! Look it up for yourself.

buddy 1 year, 6 months ago

The blind leading the blind!

bigbob 1 year, 5 months ago

Can you say black vote. All he has to do is keep the useless welfare rejects happy so he gets their vote. Scary part is there's enough of them in his region so he wins, something to be proud of.

waltspecht 1 year, 5 months ago

The sad part is that we have allowed the Politicians and Lawyers to form special District Boundries by ethnicity to assure the election of minorities. Now if that isn't prejudiced and prefferential treatment, I do not know what is. Have you ever seen the layout of Bishop's district? After last election they adjusted it even more to his benefit. Our only hope is a massive turnout within the disenfranchised in this district, and the minorities being lacadasical.

ObjectiveEyes 1 year, 5 months ago

The bottom line is this, and, I've said it over and over again...I think that we ALL agree that DC is broke and broken. Bishop has been up there for what, 26 years? He is part of the problem, not the solution! Plain and simple. It's way past time for him to retire.

Amazed2 1 year, 5 months ago

I attended a captured audience business man breakfast fundraiser for Boy Scouts. Sanford Bishop was the featured guest speaker. After he gave us his life story and during the break I saw one of the organizers of the event kind of ease him a plain white envelope that appeared to have money or check. Guess Sanford does Not donate his time to Boy Scouts. I think the term for this kind of payment is "Honorarium". The giver and Sanford both tried to keep the transfer to be quick and slick. Sanford went straight to upper left inside pocket of sport jacket. Eell I decided to not donate that day after seeing that.

D5S 1 year, 5 months ago

After 20 years it's past time for Sanford to go. We deserve better representation! That's why, when I early voted today, I voted for a patriot NOT a politician.