Romney looking to start another war

Letter to the editor

I am an 80-year-old veteran of the the Korean War and the Vietnam War. I learned up close the horror of war by serving on the hospital ship USS Haven in Korea. Wounded warriors were brought to us by helicopter. As a Morse Code radio operator, I sent messages to Washington on the status of the wounded. Some names were placed on critical lists while, too often, others were reported dead.

My great wife and I have been married almost 58 years, raising seven children on Navy pay. I worked very hard as I was raised to do on the 50-acre family farm. I could have gotten deferred as I was my dad’s only helper. My dad, however, wanted me to “do the honorable thing” and “do my part” for Uncle Sam. I joined the Navy Sept. 17, 1951. After four years, I rejoined and made a career.

Whenever I think about the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, I think of the president responsible for starting them. George W. Bush, who received free training to fly planes, etc., never served a day in active duty military. He could have used his father’s powerful influence to avoid serving.

Mitt Romney also had a powerful father and received five deferments in order to avoid serving in Vietnam. Romney “plans to build 15 new ships” and seems to be looking for more war. I could never vote for a man of such caliber. And, like George W., he is preparing to do more nation-building, just not American nation-building as Dwight Eisenhower did in his eight years as president.

JOHN A. TAYLOR,

RMC USN Ret.

Leesburg

Comments

herewegoagain 1 year, 9 months ago

Obama never served either and had he it would probably been on North Korea's or North Vietman's side seeing how he is often compared to a communist.

USTPC 1 year, 9 months ago

First, thank you for your service to this country. Second, I struggle to understand how someone who served in two wars to protect the United States and the freedoms and liberties that are guaranteed to us in the Constitution can vote for a man whose intention it is to destroy the constitution and take those freedoms and liberties away. Romney has never said he thought war was a good thing but he has said that we need to maintain our armed forces to ensure the safety and freedoms of the United States and its citizens. That is the opposite of Oboma who wants to cut our armed forces to the bare bones. His agenda is to turn the United States into a socialist country.How can you in good conscience vote for him?

VSU 1 year, 9 months ago

I would rather vote for someone that will start another war than to vote for a president that would sit back and let this country be destroyed. Obama went to sleep the night of the Libya attack knowing it was done by Al Qaeda, making everybody think it was just a protest over a film. Obama had to get his sleep so he could perform at his re-election campaign the next day. He cares more about getting re-elected than keeping Americans safe.

With that being said, I don't think Romney has no interest in getting involved in another war. Just a scare tactic by Democrats to scare people from voting for him. Just like people make up stories about Obuma to scare people from voting for him. Obama accuses Romney and the Republicans of lying when Obama and the Democrats are just as guilty of lying. Just because Romney wants to build more ships does not mean he is planning on going to war, but rather have more if needed to defend our country. Obama wants to cut the military and make America more vulnerable. Is it any wonder our enemies approve of the job Obama is doing? They would love a weaker America.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 9 months ago

Thank you for your service. You left a few brain cells back in a few ports, though...I think.

msa651 1 year, 9 months ago

As a vet myself, and with 2 children that have served, one doing 2 tours in Iraq, I think you are full of it.

Jacob 1 year, 9 months ago

why can you not see that cutting our military to it's lowest levels in decades invites war, not prevents it?

alleebrin 1 year, 9 months ago

Soldier, you have been thoroughly brainwashed! Do you think Pres. Romney will wake up the day after the election and decide it's time for a war? He has five sons and several grandchildren; somehow I think he will take their best interests into account, too! I have to agree with VSU!

waltspecht 1 year, 9 months ago

Building ships builts a Country's strength. It also provides some much needed jobs for those that want to work. As far as Obama's comment about Aircraft Carriers and Nuclear Submarines being what is needed. Ther is an old saying. There are targets and Submarines. I know, and the President certainly should know that the Aircraft Carrier is highly volnurable to a guiet modern Diesel boat. Heck we even rented one and a crew from I think Sweden so we could work on perfecting protection against them. I believe the Australian Boats have still breached our protective screens in excersises. Don't think for a minute that our enemy's don't have these boats, Germany has sold one or two to the Muslems So his bayonets statement is way wrong. Technology by itself isn't the answer when the other guy has the better stuff available. Plus, I don't believe any President has ever wanted to go to was besides Franklin Deleno Roosevelt.