Squawk of the day - Oct. 30, 2012

"The well-attended matinee and evening concerts of the Albany Symphony Orchestra Saturday were huge triumphs, performances of such high caliber that they would be a credit to any concert hall in the U.S. Albany has every reason to be very proud of this wonderful ensemble and its innovative, ambitious and imaginative management team."

Comments

FryarTuk 1 year, 5 months ago

I hope the. Maestro was able to keep his clothes on for the performances.

Amazed2 1 year, 5 months ago

I was so excited I shed my clothes and ran thru the streets naked!

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 5 months ago

Cant afford the ticket prices....

JustAnotherVoice 1 year, 5 months ago

The tickets were reasonable -- $35 was a great price for a great seat.

fcarroll 1 year, 5 months ago

I am happy to see something positive on here for a change and not racial related.

Clif 1 year, 5 months ago

Yeah, most of Bishop/Obama voters don't attend symphonies.....

Bulldawg 1 year, 5 months ago

It's only racial if you make it racial. However, the truth does hurt at times racial or not.

PatrickY2K 1 year, 5 months ago

Music by white composers written mostly in Europe. How dare black people not embrace the music of white people!!

What's the racial make-up of concerts featuring African music?

The Albany Symphony is very talented (and I don't care what the members do on their time - they don't answer to me), but their music does not appeal to everyone. That's okay!

FryarTuk 1 year, 5 months ago

You really didn't mean to ask the question - What's the racial make-up of concerts featuring African music? I mean, just start with Dave Matthews. We really don't have enough space here.

Gabrielblows 1 year, 5 months ago

How many of the musicians are local players?

JustAnotherVoice 1 year, 5 months ago

Very few. You must remember, the Albany Symphony is for the people of Albany, NOT made up of Albany people -- that is what I have been told, anyway!

PatrickY2K 1 year, 5 months ago

How many players on the arena football team are from Albany? It doesn't matter, does it?

alleebrin 1 year, 5 months ago

Good luck Symphony! You have one hurdle that you will never clear! Such a tragedy!

blg2_through 1 year, 5 months ago

I loved the performance and music - halloween theme. price of ticket $15 for student and great seat! loved the juggler!

Tonto 1 year, 5 months ago

I have to agree alleebrin. The community of squwakers seems to love bashing (deservedly) what they see as reverse racism in the DCCS, or the school board race, but ban a white conductor for an overt attempt to use race as a way ot of trouble..apparently that is a bridge too far. Let's just listen to his music and forget the rest. What an insult to the black community...and then chatise them for not seeing with unbiased eyes.

Bulldawg 1 year, 5 months ago

Why is it an insult to the black community to have a white conductor? Hilliard was reinstated because the albany symphony could not find a conductor to replace him. Despite is nocturnal downfall, he is a very highly regarded and talented conductor.

FryarTuk 1 year, 5 months ago

Bullshawg, you speak with forked tongue. The reason why the Maestro was reinstated was because a primary donor strong armed his return. There was never any attempt whatsoever to replace him. From the time of his frivolity until the time of his return the ASO was in internal turmoil over the decision to dismiss him. Until the muscle was applied and not obliquely I would add, he was out. Kaput! Kibosh! He was in fact a highly regarded conductor he is now only a highly suspect one.

Tonto 1 year, 5 months ago

It is an insult to have a white conductor who, in an attempt to avoid telling the truth to police when caught in a compomising situation publicly with a woman not his wife, decided to say two large black men robbed him and took his clothes. Once he was backed into the "truth" cornor, he was fired from the conductor job and some very talented visiting conductors finished the season. Then, as FryarTuk said, no job search, no interviews...political/$$ muscle and here he is again, no big deal because there is not a lot of black investment or attendance in the symphony. Fine example of a public figure for the community. As long as you are talented we tolerate anything, is that it?

Bulldawg 1 year, 5 months ago

I was mearly stating that Hilliard is a very talented conductor. I do not give a rip about his personal life. i am not condoning nor do I approve of his actions. He is just good at what he does, conducting an orchestra. Do you think someone asks a sergeon what their personal life is like before the surgery is done? I think not. Now, Tonto and Fryar Tuck, you can get you knickers out of a knot now. Tonto, I think I hear the Lone Ranger calling you anyway.