Turner teacher suspended in student slapping incident

ALBANY, Ga. — An administrative panel on Tuesday issued a 30-day suspension without pay for Turner Elementary teacher Tracy Drayton after she slapped a kindergarten student at the school.

The four-member panel consisted of Dougherty County School Board members Carol Tharin, Milton “June Bug” Griffin, Velvet Riggins and Chairman James Bush.

Dougherty County School Superintendent Joshua Murfree had recommended termination, but the panel unanimously decided on the suspension.

Drayton’s attorney, Howard Stiller, admitted his client had slapped the child, but said it was “a momentary lapse in judgment.”

In addition to the suspension, the panel ordered Drayton to undergo anger management classes and she will be transferred to another school.

In a separate incident, Dougherty County School Assistant Police Chief J.C. Phillips confirmed that an incident between a teacher and a student had taken place at Live Oak Elementary School.

Phillips said no police report was filed and that the incident was handled administratively.

Meanwhile, Dougherty County District Attorney Greg Edwards confirmed that his office was investigating a 2011 “failure to report abuse” case at Dougherty High School.

The probe is believed to center on a school official who allegedly failed to report to authorities the possible abuse of a student by someone outside of the school.

“We are looking into it,” Edwards said. “The case is currently under investigation.”

Georgia law (19-7-5) requires mandatory reporting by physicians, hospital personnel, dentists, psychologists, nurses, social workers, counselors, school teachers/officials, child welfare agency and child service organization personnel, law enforcement personnel, podiatrists when they have reasonable cause to believe a child has been abused.

“It is the policy of this office to pursue failure to report possible abuse,” Edwards said. “As I said earlier, we are still investigating the allegations.”

Under state law, failure to report is a misdemeanor.

Comments

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 10 months ago

Kids baby mamma: you got some SUE MONEY coming to ya!

ontario1966 1 year, 10 months ago

and that surprised anybody? She is Black, she works DCSS? So there is your answer.

Outtahere 1 year, 10 months ago

I need more details about the teacher, student and incident.

1d2ec 1 year, 10 months ago

I agree, I would like to know what the child was doing that may have provoked the teacher.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm sure yall can find a way to excuse the teacher's behavior.

Outtahere 1 year, 10 months ago

Sister Ruby: Absolutely not!! There is no excuse for her behavior!! I am just curious about the details surrounding the incident.

tywebb 1 year, 10 months ago

what details?? the kid calling the teacher a stinky face or something like that? if that were the case, then would the slap be legitimized?

Outtahere 1 year, 10 months ago

I think we're just curious about what happened, not that the details will excuse her behavior. I just can't understand why the teacher would do that!! The child's behavior does not excuse the teacher. Again, I'm just curious.

sammyrayw 1 year, 10 months ago

Regardless of what the child may have done to provoke the teacher, the child should not have been slapped in the face. The child should have been taken to the principal's office for punishment but not slapped.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 10 months ago

Honestly, does it matter what the kindergartener did to provoke an adult to hit him or her?

Outtahere 1 year, 10 months ago

No it doesn't matter but I'm curious about how a teacher could assault a small child like that. I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact this teacher smacked that child!

Tonto 1 year, 10 months ago

Wow, momentary lapse in judgement, slaping someone's child. The school panel must of had one when it voted to retain too. Perhaps all the other parents should go after them for putting thier child back in a room with a known abuser.

Albanite 1 year, 10 months ago

Why bother? Institutionalized cheating causes far more harm to the kids in DCSS than slapping every one of them a few times each year.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 10 months ago

No reason to try to fire somebody around here. It won't stick so just don't bother.

Tonto 1 year, 10 months ago

See, that's the thing about domestic violence, child abuse, assault and battery. They are crimes so how does the school board handle this. Should be some sort of legal thingy going on with, oh I don't know, Police? Does Albany have some sort of 'level of violence' between a teacher and a student in a school that has to be met before it is a crime?

When the parent does sue, everyone will be jumping on them about it; it is the panel that should be taken to task, and the district attorney if he reads the news and just says.."my, my, more trouble for Mr. Murfree."

Bulldawg 1 year, 10 months ago

I thought Murfree was on the way out. I thought there was going to be an additional closed door meeting to determine what to do with #34, because he would not resign at the request of the school board. I guess the school board did not honor his request for termination of the teacher because #34 did not honor the school board's request for his resignation.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

He'll probably be there until his contract expires.

dmyers80 1 year, 10 months ago

What the HE double hockey sticks is going on here... I'm guessing its the board's way of fighting Mr. Murfree. There is no way I would stand for this if my child was at Turner Elementary... And then they just suspended her and when she comes back she will just be sent to another school!!!

Albanite 1 year, 10 months ago

This is heartbreaking news for the children of DCSS.

GG126 1 year, 10 months ago

Same thing happens in Lee County. White in Lee Co., nuf said.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 10 months ago

There are white teachers assaulting students in Lee County? Please, do tell.

GG126 1 year, 10 months ago

Yes sir! Check Albany Herald and WALB archives. The student was special needs and the incident also occured in the school gym.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 10 months ago

see........Lee County Head Football Coach was just accused two weeks ago of assaulting a player....

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

Be quiet coach, that coach never touched that kid. Go back into hibernation.

dmyers80 1 year, 10 months ago

How does a 40+ year old slapping a 5 year not cause at least an arrest if not charges being filed...I agree with Tonto, If mom sues she will catch all of the criticism, but the people who are supposed to handle the situation are just looking out for their friends. It not like she was a high school teacher, this is a kindergarten kid, one can tell by the video that the kid posed no real physical threat to her the way she was dragging the kid across the gymn!!! Mom has more of a case than Jolivette!!! The DA office should bring charges against the teacher and principal and every member on the board they are clearly putting the kid that was hit and every kid at the new school in harms way!! how much longer before she has another "lapse in judgement"?

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 10 months ago

If the parents had taught proper discipline their children at home, that teacher would not have to slap .......ever thought of that???? You have no idea what today's teachers have to go through.....so give her a raise and leave her alone!!!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm sure yall can find a way to excuse the teacher's behavior.

tywebb 1 year, 10 months ago

trolling idiot......you've been warned

RedEric 1 year, 10 months ago

Evidently you suffered from lack of discipline as a child. Unfortunately this manifests itself via your imbecilic attacks on the normal people. There is medication for your condition.....see a doctor.

Bulldawg 1 year, 10 months ago

Red Eric, who are you referring to BSR or me. It helps if you designate who your comment is intended for. If you are saying that BSR is normal, then you are sadly mistaken. Just read a few of his previous inane comments and you will see that I am correct in my observation.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

Bulldawg, I think he was refering to coach Dufus.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

coachjohnson doesn't know anything about discipline. That is why he comes in here and writes these stupid comments. Just a troll trying to get people stirred up. I fully expect Da Corch to be out trick or treating tonight.

Bulldawg 1 year, 10 months ago

I think Da Corch will be dressed up as Obama. :)

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

That's scary! He could put a pair of pants over his head and go as an @$$.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

Someone needs to slap you coach.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 10 months ago

The Coach didn't write that dumb dufus....I did!!! You are obsessed with him VSU...why???

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

You and The Coach are the same person dumb@$$! Everybody knows it!

bubbasmithredneck also known as coachjohnson42

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 10 months ago

your the only fool who keeps saying that.....your stupid !

Bulldawg 1 year, 10 months ago

BSR you sound like a little school yard punk that just had his milk money stolen. Grow up.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

You're stupid, others have said the same thing. that you and CJ42 are one and the same. The only one that is stupid is you. You posting as CJ42 & BSM only makes you look twice as stupid. You and coachjohnson42 are the same person and you know it.

saveourcity 1 year, 10 months ago

I have to agree with #34 on this one. She slapped a 5 year old kid in the face. She should be fired. No excuses. The fact that the administrative panel, consisting of 4 school board members (which ones?), did NOT support the recommendation of #34 speaks volumes. and yes...."cue the lawyers" someone is gonna get paid!....and guess who ultimately will pay? Why the taxpayers, of course.......and the kids who get to see this type of behavior from the adults that are supposed to protect them.

ittybittyme 1 year, 10 months ago

This teacher needs to be fired. I agree with #34 and saveourcity.

Cranky 1 year, 10 months ago

I saw the video on the WALB web page and saw the kid being taken across the room but it was hard for me to see her being slapped. The video was small and not too good, in my opinion. Anyone else have a problem seeing her get slapped? But I do agree it was wrong for her to handle the child that way and she should be charged with assault and battery.

Nonsporting 1 year, 10 months ago

It did not appear to me that the slap was to the child's face but, as you observed, it's really hard to tell. I, too, would like to know what came before the dragging across the room. The teacher had turned away and then came back--what caused that?

Cranky 1 year, 9 months ago

Yes, nonsporting.......maybe our old eyes deceive us....ya think? Eiether way hitting the kid was wrong, altho having a spanking, or the threat of one, when I was on school back in the late 40's and the 50's or having my Dad know I was bad in school was enough to make me behave.

Cranky 1 year, 9 months ago

Yes, nonsporting.......maybe our old eyes deceive us....ya think? Eiether way hitting the kid was wrong, altho having a spanking, or the threat of one, when I was in school back in the late 40's and the 50's or having my Dad know I was bad in school was enough to make me behave.

Cranky 1 year, 9 months ago

Yes, nonsporting.......maybe our old eyes deceive us....ya think? Either way hitting the kid was wrong, altho having a spanking, or the threat of one, when I was in school back in the late 40's and the 50's or having my Dad know I was bad in school was enough to make me behave.

GG126 1 year, 10 months ago

Didn't a similar incident happen in Lee County last year involving a special needs student? The LCSS BOE voted not to terminate the white teacher who was young and inexperienced. So why is there outrage when it occurs in DoCo?

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm not aware of that incident. Why does it matter if the teacher was white or black?

dmyers80 1 year, 10 months ago

THANK YOU SHERWOOD!!! I play with the kids in our neighborhood all the time and I'm always telling them to stop saying "that white man...that black man" It doesnt matter what race they are!!

GG126 1 year, 10 months ago

I agree. I was responding to the comments on this conversation referring to race and the outcome for the teacher.

tywebb 1 year, 10 months ago

maybe because most people don't give a crap what goes on in lee (right or wrong). maybe because most of the people who comment on here live in doco, so this is where their concern lies. maybe because the majority of black people don't care what happens in dcss (i give you junebug, velvet, and bush). maybe because we're a bunch of racists who root for the blacks to mess up so we can point it out. who knows and who cares? if you live in albany, whether or not if you have kids in the system, YOU SHOULD BE OUTRAGED, TOO!!!!!!!

dmyers80 1 year, 10 months ago

GG... you might have an argument about selective crtitcism.... But it sounds like youre saying " well they're messed to we can be messed up too"!! ??

GG126 1 year, 10 months ago

Absolutely not!! My intention was to point out 'selective criticism', which seems to be prevalent on this forum. I do not condone abuse or assault.

tocar 1 year, 10 months ago

If the child was misbehaving beyond the control of the teacher, she should have taken the child to the principal. We don't have enough facts to pass judgment. There are young children that are terrors because the parents do not discipline at home.

dmyers80 1 year, 10 months ago

I have enough facts from the video... She basically dragged the child across the gym... sat the kid down walked away, turned around and came back and SLAPPED the kid... I dont know BOE bought that "lapse in judgement" crap!! This is why we nee to vote PRICE!!!

chinaberry25 1 year, 10 months ago

Yeah, and leave 40 kids without a monitor? I wish each and everyone of you could spend one day at Dougherty Middle or Turner Elementary. I had one teacher tell me it was like Iraq. I spent 2 days there and will never ever return. I will stand in the welfare line before I ever go there again.

dmyers80 1 year, 10 months ago

chinaberry... I get it teaching is a hard job, i have a degree in education, I dont work in the field now but have before and student teaching as well, Its not a jail sentence, If you cant handle it you are free to leave, not slap other people's kids, she sat the kid down... walked off and came back and slapped the... If that was an adult she couldnt even have claimed self- defense.... and the time i worked in education I was a PE teacher, If you really want to see how to run a PE class go check out Coach Taylor at Jackson Heights Elementary!!

waltspecht 1 year, 10 months ago

Does anyone doubt what the outcome would have been were the slapping individual of a different ethnicity than the child?

Amazed2 1 year, 10 months ago

The kid pribably had a but wooping coming but not a slap in face! Teachers are human and she probably flashed and did it before she realized it. God only knows what a five year old is capable of saying these days. The moma and the moma,s daddy damm sure aint correcting them at home.

doingwhatisright 1 year, 10 months ago

I agree... a lot parents expect the teacher to be the provider. Undergrad school does not prepare future educators for what's to come once he/ she walks into the classroom. I encouraged my college grad children to pursue anything but education. Sadly, they would have been outstanding math and science teachers.

Blaqueknight316 1 year, 10 months ago

An adult slapping a small child does not impress anyone....I wonder if she would slap a Cleveland City Transit bus driver like that....now, that would impress me.

Jax 1 year, 10 months ago

"You goin to jail now!!" Thanks for reminding me of that, BK. Too funny.

reb_arty1863 1 year, 10 months ago

There is absolutely no excuse to slap a 5 year old. A child has a rear end....spank it if corporal punishment is necessary! A 5 year old's neck could have been irreperably harmed by a slap from an adult. If she had slapped mine you could visit her at Poteats.

chinaberry25 1 year, 10 months ago

What many of you do not know is that he could be an ESP (special ed) child and is behavior is not always his fault. But a good pop on the butt will straightened many of them out too. They pack those PE classes full of all grade levels and she will see a room full every 30 minutes. It can get hairy and I would not ever ever teach at Turner Elementary. They do not pay enough. What is so sad it that we reward these folks for having babies and expect society to feed clothe and discipline them all their lives for most will end up in trouble. How our country ever reached that point never ceases to amaze me.

mae1856 1 year, 10 months ago

Mr.Griffin please drop the {june bug}.

dmyers80 1 year, 10 months ago

We have a guy named JUNE BUG making decisions on education... and we wonder why DCSS is the laughing stock of the state!!!

GG126 1 year, 10 months ago

His name is Milton Griffin. 'June Bug' is a nickname from childhood. I am sure he is referred to as Mr. Griffin when conducting school board business.

dmyers80 1 year, 10 months ago

I remember when he was running for the BOE, his signs said vote for Milton "June Bug" Griffin!!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 10 months ago

And that's what is wrote on his filling stations.

GG126 1 year, 10 months ago

Filling Stations? Who says that any more? Also, who writes on businesses? Usually there are signs.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 10 months ago

I think it is painted in cursive writing on his gas station.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 10 months ago

Don't make me post a picture you stupid people.

GG126 1 year, 10 months ago

Do it and while you're at it go ahead and post your picture. People are not stupid for voicing an opinion. Stop being so mean! That's why you have to play alone at the playground.

MRKIA 1 year, 10 months ago

JUNEBUG DOESN'T OWN ANYTHING NOW. HE'S SO BROKE HE CAN'T PAY ATTENTION.

tywebb 1 year, 10 months ago

didn't he try to get junebug put on the ballot last time he ran because no one knew his real name?

dmyers80 1 year, 10 months ago

his campaign signs had June Bug on them

tywebb 1 year, 10 months ago

because he was just smart enough to realize that the idiots who would be trying to vote for him had no idea what is name was.

Albanite 1 year, 10 months ago

If you slapped your neighbor's child, you would be UNDER the jail. Why isn't the law being enforced?

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 10 months ago

One thing we might not have thought of......maybe the child was just rappin'. You know, repeating some of the rap lyrics they heard on the radio or in they mamma's car riding to school. In that case, they would just be expressing their culture or their rage or something like that which is not punishable in today's politically correct world. I mean if you call your teacher a BIH then it's just part of the culture.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 10 months ago

How would you feel as a parent if this teacher was transferred to teach your child's class?

Momof3 1 year, 10 months ago

First of all, there is NO EXCUSE for a teacher to hit a child, ever, If the child has some form of behavior disorder, then do an IEP, set up meetings, make adjustments, accommodiations or modifications. That's Education/Special Ed 101. Hitting is no where in that equation. I don't care WHAT SCHOOL, WHAT KID... if it's that bad, then don't be around them. There are alot of people who need and are qualified for jobs if they can't handle it.

Second, as a mother of three children, if I SPANK my child and they get mad enough to call the police, I would be arrested and my kids taken from me and I would never work again, so why is this any different? This lady has a job where you encounter forms of disabilities all the time and she " had a laspe in judgement?" Come on, really. And then not only does she NOT get fired, she is going to be reassigned to another school? Ahhh WHERE I ask cause if I find out it's my child's school, I am starting a petition, calling and and everyone who will listen and do whatever I have to, to make sure that she is no where NEAR my child because who knows when her "judgement will laspe" again.

waltspecht 1 year, 10 months ago

Why does the system have to accomodate the child? Shouldn't the Parents raise the the children to behave before they enter the school system? Shouldn't Special Needs be accomodated by special parenting? Sorry, but just because a child has special needs doesn't mean the system has to accomodate them, and act as a babysitter for the parents. Somehow it has become the trend to turn the Schools into Family Social Training facilities, at the cost of disrupting the other students ability to learn. I believe the special needs and the dicipline problems need to be moved out of the main stream schools and allow our Teachers to teach those that want to learn. Crucify me if you will, but this political correctness and main streaming of some of these children is robbing all the others of the education they deserve. There has got to be a better way.

chinaberry25 1 year, 10 months ago

walt, this is a connections class and many special needs children are mainstreamed. What is not noted for kindergartners is they have a para. Where was she or he and why was she not doing her job? He or she goes to connections classes with them. But I do know that many schools will not get a substitute teacher for a para and they should. Trying to scrimp on money has caused possibly this. I have seen substitute teachers in a class of kindergarten and para is pulled away or absent to do something else. They are putting their school at risk and this happens more than you can imagine.

coachjohnson42 1 year, 10 months ago

This incident is terrible and that teacher should have been fired. I watched that video and the I was shocked. Dr. Murfree made the correct recommendation and the board dropped the ball. Children who are not supposed to be slapped at school by teachers....PERIOD!!

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 10 months ago

Oh heavens, it must be snowing in hell, because CJ42 said something half-way intelligent!

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

And he didn't post as bubbasmithredneck this time.

coachjohnson42 1 year, 10 months ago

You guys are crazy. I have my own mind. That teacher needs a good old fashion "A-W".....

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

......and a warped mind at that. Why don't you go over to that teacher and whip that A....? coach...bubbasmith or whatever you want to call yourself.

coachjohnson42 1 year, 10 months ago

I have read some of that petty crap you wrote calling me Bubba.....remember, I am the COACH...King of the Blogs.....I rule.......therefore, I will not stoop to such foolishness like you and Romney. If Bubba wants to be me, then more power to him. (Great minds think alike) But, I will not entertain your VOMIT. Now, back to this crazy teacher.....what planet???.....what drugs?? what kind of Latte was she on???? If that were my daughter, Lord help her........

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

First of all you are not entertaining and you will not stoop to foolishness? Everything you write as yourself and bubba is a bunch of foolishness and what the h$ll does Romney have to do with this story? If this doesn't show what a twisted sick warped mind you have, I don't know what else will.

Great idiots think alike!

You are the COACH on this comment... King of the Idiots...You suck, but which one of your warped personalities will you be on your next blog?

coachjohnson42 1 year, 10 months ago

You poor pathetic wimp of a man....get a life.....and lay off the drugs.....you are a weakest little fart in Albany........grow up!

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 10 months ago

hahaha....I told you VOMIT .......You messing with the COACH!!! GET EM Coach!!!! He's been asking for it.......(I think he likes you) hahahahaha!!

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

Be quiet Coach Cockroach, you are so very, very, very, very immature and your above comments proves I was right. It must get tiring to keep changing from one idiot to the other idiot. I don't know which one is dumber whether you are posting as BSR or posting as CJ42 but as far as IQ levels go when you subtract 0 from 0 you get 0. If anybody needs to lay of the drugs its you, because you are on some serious heavy duty stuff.

You are the one that needs to grow up. BTW did you have fun going out trick or treating last night? I heard you won the scariest costume contest, and the funny thing is.....you wasn't even wearing a costume.

tywebb 1 year, 10 months ago

you just DID entertain vsu's "vomit", stoopid! I wish the rest of you would stop feeding the damn trolls! VSU, all you do is stoop to corch/bsr/rureel's level.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

I'll stop feeding the troll when everybody else agrees to stop feeding the troll.

tywebb 1 year, 9 months ago

i know. it's hard to avoid it. we get sucked in by the stupidity. From now on, everyone just respond with the comment "troll" whenever corch, bsr, rureel post.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 9 months ago

and I will just reply with "VOMIT", for VSU .....and "sissy" for tywebb...

VSU 1 year, 9 months ago

Your brain is made of vomit!

Freedom 1 year, 10 months ago

Really, people of Albany. None of this surprises anyone, does it? This is normal everday business in DCSS. No wonder the child had a behavior problem. I'd be ticked off too after being dragged across the gym floor the way it showed in the video. I'd probably have been mouthing off too. The children follow leadership and if this teacher portrayed this to the child and the other children watching then they will think it is ok to conduct themselves this way. If teachers can't handle the children then go sell Mary Kay or something. There are many good teachers out there who handle the children well. What scares me is she has probably done this before. Didn't it say she has been with the school system over 20 years...?

Amazed2 1 year, 10 months ago

All I can say is when I was 5 years old I knew to respect my elders. When I was young if I dared sass back much less say something bad the my mother and/ or daddy and even grandmother would light my hiny up and depending on if I said something bad I might have got slapped too. All im saying parents dont teach kids respect any more.

GTBRO90 1 year, 10 months ago

This is what happens when the "4 Idiots" are allowed to make decisions. Why are they even still on the board. They are the reason the DCSS is one of the worst in the state!

whoz53 1 year, 10 months ago

Regardless of ethnicity, the teacher crossed the line on this one. Bad Teacher!