Breaking News

Sylvester police arrest suspect in shooting July 31, 2014

Suspect charged in assault on officer

Christopher Matthews

Christopher Matthews

ALBANY, Ga. -- Christopher Mathews, 19, has been taken into custody in connection to an aggravated assault on officer in Northwest Albany this morning, officials with the Albany Police Department say.

Officer Christopher Arline, 26, responded to 620 Pointe North Blvd. at 4:20 a.m. this morning in reference to an active alarm at a business. When he arrived on the scene, he stated that he heard two loud noises coming from 613 Pointe North Blvd. and then saw a white male walking towards Flint Community Bank, police say.

At that point, he approached the suspect in a tactical manner with his weapon drawn and gave a verbal command to “stop”. The suspect stopped, turned and raised a black object toward the officer, which was later identified as a .45 caliber pistol. Officer Arline fired three shots, and the suspect dropped to the ground and was then taken into custody without any further incident, police say.

Police officials say that this incident may be connected to a few other crimes that took place early this morning, including:

• At 3:28 a.m., there was business alarm at 2810 Old Dawson Road. A front glass window was found shattered. After receiving the call, officers began patrolling the area.
  • At 4:20 a.m., a loud noise was reported at 613 Point North Blvd. was heard by officers and a screen pulled from a window was discovered at the business. While investigating at that location, a shattered window was also discovered at Southwest Oral. Subsequently, Officer Arline saw suspect leaving the area, police say.
  • At approximately 6:23 a.m., officers responded to 2401 Nottingham Way in reference to a report of an Entering Auto which occurred sometime between Monday at 6 p.m. and Tuesday at 5:30 a.m. The victim reported that he found his vehicle, a 1994 Ford Crown Victoria had been ransacked and his .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol was missing. The weapon was recovered in the 600 block of Pointe North Boulevard.

At this time, Mathews, who is on probation on charges from Lee County and wearing an ankle monitoring bracelet, is considered a suspect in all four incidents.

No injuries were reported as a result of these incidents. Mathews is being charged with aggravated assault on a peace officer, criminal damage to property, burglary, criminal attempt burglary, entering auto and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime.

Comments

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 11 months ago

Thankfully an APD officer is out and about at 4 a.m. That seems to be the magic hour for thuggery.

Somebody 1 year, 11 months ago

He'll be back out to try again tomorrow.

ontario1966 1 year, 11 months ago

To bad the officer missed? So sick of the crime here.

Amazed2 1 year, 11 months ago

Chief Proctor needs to send his men to the firing range and see if they can improve the Hit ratio. You dont want missed opportunities to clean up the robbers, burgalars and Thugs.

alleebrin 1 year, 11 months ago

A good hit would eliminate the taxpayers' expense for housing this thug, costs of court, etc.

TRUTH101 1 year, 11 months ago

Officer Arline did what he was supposed to, which is stop the immediate threat towards him and others. Although officers have the right to use lethal force they are instructed to use the least amount possible. The ones that are wishing Arline would have killed him, probably have never killed a deer let alone a human. Good job cuz! I'm happy to know you are safe!

VietVet1 1 year, 10 months ago

Officer Christopher Arline should have hit him with the second & third shot. Then why waste a warning - the thief wasn't trying to give him a warning shot. If this country doesn't start cleaning up the riff raft it'll only get worse.

FryarTuk 1 year, 11 months ago

Congratulations to APD for good police work. Glad the officer was not injured and I'll bet the officer is glad he didn't have to shoot the perp.

dmyers80 1 year, 11 months ago

What could he possibly hope to get from an oral surgery office after a holiday weekend??? Hardly any cash becase probably 95% of their work is paid by insurance, and they have probably been closed since Friday,Even if he got the instruments they use, he cant sell them because the offices who use them will only buy from direct sales reps!!!

tywebb 1 year, 11 months ago

can't fix stoooooopid!!!!!!!

Parent 1 year, 11 months ago

Probably wanted the pain meds to get high.

stc1993 1 year, 11 months ago

They also use powerful drugs to knock you out while doing oral surgery. He was probably going to look for drugs.

Amazed2 1 year, 11 months ago

Who says Albany Thugs are Smart. Maybe he be wanting some Gold Teeth!! Guess he was packing a pistol in case de Buggy Man got after him in de dark.

Parent 1 year, 11 months ago

Hmmmm, now that the picture is posted, there are no more comments. WOW!

USTPC 1 year, 11 months ago

Has nothing to do with the picture being posted. I have to say that I am surprised that so far no one has commented on how wonderful the kid is or how he was trying to clean up his life or how he is the victim and should have our sympathy or that he has done a lot of good things for school kids or some other reason that he should not be held responsible for his actions.

MRKIA 1 year, 10 months ago

WELL SAID, I GUESS YOU SHUT PARENT UP. THUGS AND CRIMINALS COME IN ALL COLORS.

VSU 1 year, 11 months ago

Hmmmmm, looks to me some people have posted after the picture is posted, and nobody mentioned anything about race until you brought up your statement.

bigbob 1 year, 11 months ago

Tactical approach, 3 shots, 3 stray bullets missing intended target. Glad my house wasn't in the backkground. Go to the range & learn how to shoot.

TRUTH101 1 year, 11 months ago

Officer Arline knows how to shoot. As I told my cousin a few hours ago. God was looking out for him and the thug. Although his job entitles him to use deadly force, NO CIVILIZED HUMAN wants the blood of another man on his hands. Once the physical threat towards his life ended, there was no need to shoot the perp.

VSU 1 year, 11 months ago

I actually agree with you. The officer did the right thing, the suspect hit the ground after the officer fired his weapon and he was able to apprehend the suspect. A good officer is only going to shoot the suspect as a last resort. Had the suspect tried to shoot the officer it might have been a different story. This thug wannabe should be grateful that officer Arline didn't shoot him and straighten his @$$ out.

VietVet1 1 year, 10 months ago

"NO CIVILIZED HUMAN wants the blood of another man on his hands." LOL let a worthless 'human' enter my domain and with any luck he/she will have current ID I can call to have the body removed. A 'civilized human' wouldn't be doing these acts.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 10 months ago

Are you on any medication? Maybe a better question is, are you off any medication?

USTPC 1 year, 11 months ago

"At this time, Mathews, who is on probation on charges from Lee County and wearing an ankle monitoring bracelet"

Okay, I will be the first to admit that I do not know much about ankle monitoring bracelets work, but aren't they supposed to sound off an alarm if the person wearing the bracelet gets more than 100 feet away from his house?

I have to agree with fryartuck, I am glad the officer was not hurt and that the criminal/thug was caught. I also have to agree with bigbob about the need to go to the range and practice.

VSU 1 year, 11 months ago

Plus I thought someone was supposed to be monitoring the whereabouts of people wearing these monitoring belts or bracelets.

ObjectiveEyes 1 year, 11 months ago

Agred, USTPC: what good is the ankle brecelet if it's not being monitored? Makes no sense and surely doesn't make me feel very safe...

VSU 1 year, 11 months ago

Another case and proof that ankle monitoring does not work. Only one cure, keep them in jail.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 11 months ago

This is the second time Lee Co.'s ankle monitoring company has failed. Maybe they need to nix the ankle monitors all together and just build another jail to house these creeps in.

bigbob 1 year, 11 months ago

I think you will find the company who owns/monitors the ankle braclets is owned by the man who left his gun in his truck and had it stolen a couple weeks ago in Hidden Lakes.

kellikimbrell 1 year, 11 months ago

My car got broken into about a week ago, they busted out my passenger window and took my wallet. Things have gotten so bad around here..

Terihdfxr 1 year, 11 months ago

Why would you leave your wallet in your car in this town anyway. Im sorry buts thats just careless. Even worse is leaving a gun in your car. Chances are you will need it before you get to your car, then it cant do you any good.

USTPC 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree that leaving a gun in your car that is not parked in your locked garage is asking for trouble and not something that I do but I am guessing that most people have multiple guns which is why they leave one in the car. I have heard that some people have a gun for every room and every car.

kingd00 1 year, 11 months ago

I have to put my thinking cap on and plan to do more checking, but wasn't the store owner at P&P Garden Ctr was shot by a person wearing an ankle monitor? I know these monitors are probable provided by the lowest bidder, but seems this is another example of incompetence.

Sally_O 1 year, 10 months ago

You are correct, the thug that shot Mr. Phelps was wearing a monitor bracelet.

hotdog 1 year, 11 months ago

Oh thank God...People of color should now be afraid.....Albany is going to pieces with white thugs taking over the area

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 10 months ago

hotdog, you know this was a 1-off thing. Your extended family got the market cornered on thuggish behavior.

hotdog 1 year, 10 months ago

You couldn't be more wrong sister pessimist

FryarTuk 1 year, 10 months ago

I hope a judge locks him up now. Crime will never be reduced until the punishment makes the criminal feel pain/discomfort/suffering for the behavior.

FryarTuk 1 year, 10 months ago

As a side note I do regret there was no high heel to the temple involved in this antisocial dust up.

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 10 months ago

Nobody mentioned race in their post, never mind, I hope future post show simular behavior.

Can we all be treated the same!

tywebb 1 year, 10 months ago

yes. we will treat all thug morons the same. we will also treat all moron posters the same, so, you can't call racism on that end either. you're welcome

Cartman 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm afraid this will not look good on this young man's probation report.

Amazed2 1 year, 10 months ago

A Thug is a Thug no matter what color.

Pastor 1 year, 10 months ago

I wonder if it's gang related....

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 10 months ago

I wonder if you really are a pastor.

Terihdfxr 1 year, 10 months ago

Who is supposed to hold the monitoring company responsible? After what happened to Mr. Phelps you think they would have learned a lesson. Someone is going to sue them for negligence. Why are the Judges and district attorneys not doing anything about it. WALB should investigate this.