ASU programs rated among best by National Publishers

ALBANY, Ga. -- "Ebony" magazine's September 2012 HBCU Special Edition lists Albany State University as a leader in the categories of "Top Liberal Arts Schools" and "Top Law-Related Schools." ASU is rated as a top-tier school and among the top 30 Historically Black Colleges and Universities with Spelman College and Howard University.

The criteria used to compile the "Head of the Class" article is based on the programs offered, academic demand and institutional stability. The colleges and universities on the list were assessed in five fields of study: science, social sciences, business, liberal arts and law.

"The most important thing I got out of my investigation was how crucial it is as a community that we don't correlate the size of a school's endowment with its importance and effectiveness," said Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and New York Times best-selling author Nick Chiles in a quote carried in the magazine's contributors section.

There is also good news for ASU's graduate level programs. "The Washington Monthly," an independent news source located in Washington, D.C., listed the university's master's level programs among the best in its 2012 master's universities rankings.

Valdosta State University and Mercer University are also listed among the best providers of master's level programs among Georgia colleges and universities.

The publication's rankings are based on the institution's contribution to the public good in three broad categories: social mobility (recruiting and graduating low-income students), research (producing cutting-edge scholarship and doctorates) and service (encouraging students to give something back to their country).

To view the list, visit "Washington Monthly's" website at http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/college_guide/rankings_2012/masters_universities_state.php.

Comments

TRUTH101 1 year, 7 months ago

GREAT NEWS FOR THE ALBANY STATE UNIVERSITY!!!!!!!

agirl_25 1 year, 7 months ago

No, chinaberry, I don't think, but if you read the article very carefully you can laugh. See where it says "criteria used"? Well they have 3 - programs offered, academic demand and institutional stability. Let's look at the programs offered......not hard to list them is it? Number one out of the way. Academic demand. How many Criminal justice majors and teachers, or budding teachers have you read about at ASU?....many, many..altho I do recall one year they had a nursing class of about 27 and maybe 4 finished.....sad sad sad.,,finished the nursing program but could not pass State Boards.......sadder sadder sadder......OK so we have #2 outta the way...now let us move on to #3. As long as you have Shameless Bishop in the area passing out scholarships and getting money sent to that bottomless pit that is called a University it will be stable. As long as you have crooks, er, nice counselors telling the students how to cheat, er, work the system, er, apply for student aid, it will be OK. Also, The Washington Monthly, is an independent news source and as far as we know it may be published from someone's kitchen table...and can say what they want about the colleges.....just as I can...I can give my opinion. I can start an independent news source too, yanno...as long as I follow the rules and don't break the laws. The guy is in fact giving an opinion, not stating facts and you know what they say about opinions....hehehehe.

MRKIA 1 year, 7 months ago

SINCE WHEH DID ASU BECOME A LEADER IN LAW OF ANY KIND? ASU IS A SO-SO MEDIOCRE SCHOOL AS FAR AS COLLEGES GO. A DEGREE FROM ASU DOESN'T GIVE ONE BRAGGING RIGHTS THOUGH. ASU IS NOT A POWERHOUSE IN BRAINIACS.

ASUALUM 1 year, 7 months ago

Ignorance is bliss....You people in Albany,GA just will not give credit where it is due and for those of you who feel that Albany State isn't a credible institution or for the lack of better words, gives out lack luster degrees, I beg to differ. I'm an alumni of Albany State, both with a Bachelors and Masters degree, not to mention I'm also a product of the Dougherty County School System. I've never been to jail and I also have a full time career, NOT JOB, oh.. and guess what... I"M A BLACK MALE!!!! So I guess it's safe to say that all the negative generalizations that you people tend to express of ASU, as well as DCSS aren't true.

I've read numerous harsh and racial comments made by the "Good Ole" citizens of Albany, GA in regards to ASU and other ethinc entities, but what you fail to realize or fail to wanna acknowledge is, without Albany State University, Albany, GA would just be another small, behind the times TOWN in GA. And I say that because of the economic impact that this institution brings to Albany, GA...

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 7 months ago

Do you have a good job and how much do you make in earned income?

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 7 months ago

Total household income of $75,850 from retirement EARNINGS. No Gov't Handouts, no Social Security, no Disability. EARNINGS from several decades of work.

Only Jeus deserves to answer a Question with a Question, not YOU.

TRUTH101 1 year, 7 months ago

and you and your husband are republicans!?!?!?!? SMH...LOL @republicans who TOTAL HOUSEHOLD income is $75,000 and some change.............

TRUTH101 1 year, 7 months ago

This is truly sad.......They have low middle class citizens voting to cut the taxes of the rich............smh

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 7 months ago

Brothah, you still laboring in the Democrat Plantation mentality. Get free! Free Your Mind!! There is still time!!! Get you some Truth to the Power of Infinity !! Otherwise, wallow in the SH*T all day if you prefer.

agirl_25 1 year, 7 months ago

ASUALUM .... if you would go back and read what I said, I was giving my OPINION on the article..not on the school, altho I personally think it is a diploma mill. I was breaking down the points brought out in the article as opinion, not fact. Now go put on your big boy pants and start acting like one......and do your full time career not your JOB, MR BLACK MALE......!!!

tduncanspradley 1 year, 7 months ago

You just have to pray for them. Ignorance has no color

agirl_25 1 year, 7 months ago

Remember me......duncan.....i am the one you called a racist....nice to see you finallly made it here....you are the one i believe who said your grandmother was born into slavery in 1902.....or am I mistaken?

found it...here is your statement......."then you need to look deeper bc my great grandmother was not born until 1902 sweetie and she was a slave." from an earlier blog...

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 7 months ago

uhhhh.......memory serves that slavery was not legal in 1902 in the USA. Maybe she was in Kenya ??

j1984 1 year, 7 months ago

@agirl_25 & mrkia, why do you always talk bad about ASU. I read a lot of you guys comments in regards to ASU, and it seems you have something against ASU. I went to ASU, and graduated with a degree in Computer Science, I know not everyone who attended ASU was there for an education, but that can be said for every college. So basically what you are saying because of a few bad apples, my degree that I worked hard for, and spent many late nights studying, doing programs, etc. meant nothing, and is worthless??? There are plenty of graduates from ASU who are productive citizens, so you really cant base your opinions on the few that make ASU look bad, there is learning going on there, whether you like it or not.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 7 months ago

Do you have a good job and how much do you make in earned income? Hope it's good.

agirl_25 1 year, 7 months ago

hey j1984..........See my reply to the dude or dudette above.......asualum I think is the name......

j1984 1 year, 7 months ago

Yes, i read your response. The part starting with the nursing class and on, was about the university, unless again, I misinterpreted what you were meaning. I have no say so acbout the nursing program, as I stuck to my side of campus daily, but as I stated before because there are a few bad apples, that does not make ASU a "diploma mill." And not everyone tries to buck the system.

agirl_25 1 year, 7 months ago

You gotta admit that is sad about the nursing class tho, huh? sad sad sad...ask around how many times they go back and retake the test....sigh.....and how many actually pass it...sad sad sad......does that tell you something..huh, does it?

YDoICare 1 year, 7 months ago

Agirl_25, I agree with you about the “criteria” for awards and recognitions such as this one, but they have become common in higher education regardless of institution. I find that unfortunate as you and I probably agree that awards should mean achievement versus acceptable performance. Over the years Darton has touted their selection for various technological recognitions where the recipients were chosen by the filling out of multiple choice questionnaires by the institution. Time flies, but it was probably within the last 2 or 3 years that some publication rated Darton and the community as the third safest in terms of campus and surrounding living conditions in the state of GA. It’s not ASU or Darton, but practically every institution in every state receives similar styled recognitions in some area. I’m not familiar with as many ASU faculty members today, but several during my time in Albany were highly respected researchers and excellent teachers in their fields. One in particular had offers from schools such as Emory, Brown, UGA, and Yale, at significantly higher salaries. He taught at ASU because he wanted to spend time near his aging in-laws who lived in Worth because they needed assistance from their daughter. His decision also allowed his children to know their grandparents better before they passed.

In my opinion, these types of awards and recognitions are honorary, and in the long run of that “no harm no foul” “let them play” style of officiating in that as long as someone does not get an unfair advantage, let them all compete. With events such as this, I’m really reminded of the commentary regarding another honorary award given by ASU to a publically labeled “undeserving or has done nothing” individual. http://www.albanyherald.com/news/2011.... On that one, I could have published another book.

agirl_25 1 year, 7 months ago

I think that, sad as it is to say, Darton is going to become another ASU...it was such a nice place in the 80's too with some wonderful teachers.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 7 months ago

Unfortunately way too much emphasis is given to getting more and more EDUCATED and way too little emphasis is given to GETTING A JOB AND GETTING ON WITH LIFE and earning a living.

Too many young people are going to school because it means MORE FREE MONEY and some even walk away with hundreds, even thousands of dollars in their pockets. HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN??????????????

RedEric 1 year, 7 months ago

Also, a degree doesn't necessarily mean more income. In the reopened Texas oil fields a petroleum engineer can expect $80,000 per year while roughnecks and truck drivers can earn $100,000 per year. All involve overtime, but the engineer work overtime for no extra pay. Become a real plumber, electrician, welder etc and you can earn a very good living and not have college debt.

agirl_25 1 year, 7 months ago

Yes, nothing wrong with getting a little dirt under your fingernails is there? It washes off. Look at the jobs in North Dakota now. They are begging people to come up there and work. The oil boom has created a wealth of jobs but the cold climate has kept most people away. The average salary in the gas and oil fields in North Dakota without overtime is $90,225 per year....not too shabby.

YDoICare 1 year, 7 months ago

RedEric, I agree. A degree or “formal classroom education” is only a path to additional possibilities. There are a number of careers where no degree is needed, and you receive the training necessary working as an apprentice. In some careers, the necessary knowledge comes from experience maybe learned from your father or mother and observing and assisting them.

Sister_Ruby, I agree as well and think it comes down to people not understanding the difference between learning and education. Also there is a difference between having knowledge and being able to put that knowledge to good use. I think that everyone needs some combination. For example, the ability to communicate, read, write, and understand mathematics are necessary skills for practically everyone regardless of position. Likewise, history and government teach us respect and appreciation; Sciences how things have to work together; Art, music and so on can help spur creativity. Still, you have to be able to apply those things to practical life. I did earn a PhD, but I am no smarter or better than either of my parents who only graduated high school. Honestly, my favorite skill has nothing to do with any classroom. I do not have any certifications, but I perform all the mechanical work on cars for all my friends and neighbors. I even installed a lift in my workshop to make exhaust and brake work easier. I picked up all those skills from my Dad, a welder, who informed me on my 8th birthday that we were going to build a car together from pieces picked up at a salvage yard. He knew everything from common sense and asking others. Today, I need to rely on that experience, but I also need to research new technology which is easier with my formal schooling.

If I were forced to be a mechanic to feed my family I might not enjoy it. Since it is weekend time with family and friends, it’s a way for me to relax and do something nice for others without needing anything in return. The degrees gave me that option of paths. If schools encouraged and gave equal weight to developing specific skills to enter into an occupation and common elements like I listed above, it would solve many employment and attitude problems in my opinion. The problem is that we think of them as separate and one better than the other when both are equally important and a mix is necessary. For one that mix might be 80/20 to reach maximum potential while another needs a 50/50 mix of bookwork and skill development. Education has become like too many things today where people are more concerned about appearance or a pretty cover and less about the actual contents. I consider someone who takes pride and does the best of their ability to accomplish a task to be more successful than someone who only does the minimum regardless if one is a regarded as blue collar or white collar or profession.

bubbavet 1 year, 7 months ago

Yeah I'm a brain surgeon, but I'd rather cut grass for a living. Ha Ha You believe me, don't you?

RedEric 1 year, 7 months ago

It wasn't a good idea to operate on yourself, Bubba

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 7 months ago

Hate, Hate, Hate, then try to participate.

Open Enrollment:

We accept students with integrity, knowledge, and smarts.

Thank You Albany State University for choosing little old, can we get along city like ours. Keep delivering the best to America!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 7 months ago

Brotha you gots to put down that DOPE (or the Schlitz Malt Liquor....whichever is poisoning your MIND!)

miryomin 1 year, 7 months ago

Aaaaahhhh. It's refreshing to see the truth about Albany State finally published in Sowega. Here is proof positive that the ignorant, uncouth, racist detractors of ASU have no merit and nothing to stand on besides their hatred.